Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Black Gnats

Default Black Gnats

Anyone ever use black gnats(dry) or Prince Nymphs for river trout? Next week I'm going to start trying different flies I have in my flyboxes that I haven't used or used in a long time just to experiment to see what they might take. I caught my first fish on a beetle recently and have taken some on #18 and #20 midges (previous posts) which I had never used before so I just want to have some fun with different flies. I'm like most people, I stick with my go-to flies but I want to break out of the box next week.
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Default Re: Black Gnats

Caught on a prince nymph:

Princes are one of my most fished pAtterns... Well a psycho prince so I can mix and match colors .

Bead-head prince is one of my best producers in the waters around me, I tie a lot of them through the year
    Bruce

I've used a black gnat wet fly with some success.
    Okiemountaineer

Thumbs up Re: Black Gnats

Quote Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
    I've used a black gnat wet fly with some success.
    One of my top producers back in the old days.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I used to use a Black Gnat dry a lot in Washington, but I haven't tried one in a long time ---- I am not sure why not. That really dates me when I start talking about the old days along time ago!