Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best Dry Fly Rod?

Winston Biix is my first choice if the weather and/or the range needed is variable.
    For that 40' range in light air that defines fine, controlled dry fly fishing gimme a Winston IM-6 or an old-school Scott G, no, make it the IM-6... sorry, the 'G'... on second thought the IM-6...

I would have to say a Orvis Helios 3wt 8'4" Mid Flex rod.
    It's the lightest rod in the world, the best performance rod ever made, and the best looking!
    A bit pricey, and not for everyone. But if you ever cast one, you will never be happy with anything else!!

Knowing the answer would destroy the search factor for me.

Blog Entries

I look at this thread differently than everyone. If I am to choose a dry fly rod, I choose three different ones for different presentations. I am listing only current models.

Open water, big bugs (salmonflies, hoppers) - Sage Z-Axis 9' 6 weight. Throwing big bugs needs a big rod. Add the wind factor, a fast rod comes into play.

Open water, small bugs (size 12 and smaller) - Sage ZXL 9' 4 weight.

Small stream, small bugs - 7'7" 2 or 3 wt Scott G2.
    Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-13-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Great post Mosca, I viewed and interpreted the question in the same fashion. I'll go with what's in my current arsenal.

Open water, bigger bugs more ground to cover: 905 Z Axis

Open Water, smaller bugs: 864 BIIx or 904 Zenith (soon to be replaced with 904Z Axis)

Smaller streams 864 BIIX or 704 TXL (depends on how tight the small stream is)
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Dry flies; #14 or smaller - Winston BIIt 9'0" 5 wt. Love that rod; it just floats the flies out there.

Pocono

My vote is for the Winston. I have used the BIIX and the Passport. Both are superb. No question in my opinion...Winston is perfection. Has to be there tapers as the BIIX is Graphite/Boron and the Passport is just graphite. Something about those rods from Montana
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

8. Default Re: Best Dry Fly Rod?

for small water I like the Winston BIIIX 4wt 9 foot. For big water I like the Hardy Zenith 9 ft 5 wt. The soft tip and accuracy helps the presentation.

This is turning into an interesting area.

If I had to pick from only what I currently own - it'd be my WW Grigg 8' 4 weight.

If I could pick any rod at all - it'd be an Orvis Adirondack 7'6" 5 weight bamboo for anything from a size 12 or smaller. For big dry flies and terrestrials, it'd be a Winston BIIIx 9' 6 weight.

Both of these rods are way out of my price range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast