Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Best Dry Fly Rod?

I'm sure this has been discussed, and it is CERTAINLY subjective, but I'd like to hear what people think.

So, here is the question: In your opinion, what is the best dry fly rod available? Not concerned about versatility or anything else. A very specialized application. What is the best dry fly rod out there today?

Default Re: Best Dry Fly Rod?

Any Winston WT series rod

This is probably the most subjective question you could ask here.

For me, it would a 9' 4WT and I'll agree with Krebster, make it a Winston WT.

4. Default Re: Best Dry Fly Rod?

I had allways thought it was Orvis. However one year I shelled out $1200 for their best Salmon rod and after hooking my first Salmon it broke in 4 parts. The only place open that sunday was Walmart. I ran and bought a $10 Berkley. I caught my limit everyday for two weeks with that rod. Orvis did refund my money. I like a good stiff berkly for Salmon. For trout I use a fenwick eagle.

Blog Entries

Best rod for a dry fly presentation , a lot of variables for that one but I will add my $.02

In my neck of the woods in a small stream with brookies and browns in the 8-12" range I would say in perfect conditions my elkhorn (pick your favorite brand) one weight. So light you can lay out a cast without as much as a ripple.

Normal mountain river river 30-40' wide, little bigger fish I love the TXL whether 3 or 4 weight.

Bigger water I have cast some old bamboo rods that are just a dream to lay 40 feet out like a feather.

All that in mind I find the TXL in a 4wt is the most versatile in that you can still lay out a dry softly and handle some wind.

Abu Garcia Veritas.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I have owned several rods Fenwick,Orvis,Cortland,and Sage the best one i have ever owned for dry fly fishing is 9' 4wt Sage Z-Axis.

Winston TMF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Abu Garcia Veritas.
    In vino veritas Mojo
    Would say...Scott G2...delicate presentation with light tippetsbut there are lots a great dryfly rods.

hmmmm..........winston WT, no Scott G2, no Winston WT, no Scott G2, no winston WT, no Scott G2, no....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast