The madness continues

lancer09

Reaction score
This night thing is the way to go. Made the trek again last night after we picked up some guys at lamberts, home of the throwed roll.

The fishing started and stayed hot. Hot fly was anything with rabbit or pine squirrell, sizes ten to eight. Brown, black, and olive were the ticket.

Four of us picked up one trout shy of fifty, twelve to myself. Of those betwen all of us we had seven go 20-22 inches. One of which I caught and was a new PR for myself.

Hilight of the night though wasn't from a caught fish. Walking across a flat me and my buddy Andy saw a fish just hanging in some slack water that we about stepped on, a brown that was an honest 26 incher guessing on thevlow side. HUGE. I'm ready for the fall run.

lancer09

Reaction score
To keep from cluttering the boards with reports, I'm going to just continue this thread for the future.

Kev, PM on the way, While I don't usually have a problem telling people where I fish without getting to specific, with this post it probably wouldn't be a wise idea.

Bummed a ride down with a buddy again last night and when we get to the parking lot the water was still up so we had to wait for it to go down. We picked a few up here and there on pine squirrel streamers and olive mohair/dubbing loop leeches. Finally the water dropped and we moved down river a bit and I picked up a couple more.

Fishing was slow so we got out and walked back up to where we had been first having some luck. We were picking up a few here and there when my buddy stuck something really good.

The fish took him into his backing twice, on his 9 ft. 5wt. TFO pro. this thing was all over the place and There I go chasing it like a doofus with a net... that was no where near big enough. Finally it looks like it is getting tired and i swoop the net down to scoop it up... big mistake. This thing just got mad made another tear into my buddies backing... between my legs. Now i'm tripping all over the place trying to not break this guys fish off. He battles it back in again and I finally get it's head in the net.. I repeat, JUST the head. I got it out and bear hugged that fish and was no way letting go. We get up to the bank and it is the absolute biggest brown that I have ever seen in person.
Of course neither of us has a camera so we snap a few pictures with our phones and mark where it's length was on my rod. Revive the fish and she is on her way.

We catch a few more fish and call it a night. I finished with 8 and he hauled in 15 or so, we were nymph fishing with streamers adn he is a significantly better nymph fisherman than I am, But I picked up more on the streamers and swinging.

Get to the truck, and measure out hwo long the fish was... a full 30 inches and fat. If i had to gess a weight I would have put this brown at 10 or 11 pounds and healthy. She was just a massive fish. I am definitely going to be heading back agian sooner than later.

lancer09

Reaction score
Rip, It's absolutely delicious with some of the best rolls ever. Plus it's fun to catch food. They have a designated "roll thrower" no one else is chucking them around. But i wont say that i signaled for one and then "accidentally" missed it and let it hit the person sitting next to me.

Gator: I got two and my buddy has one. I'll try and post them when he gets them up loaded because I sent them to him. They are grainy and not of good quality but they show a littel bit about how big this fish was.

lancer09

Reaction score

There are two more from my phone that I sent to him to upload. This is probably the worst of the three but you can get a feel for the size of this thing. Took an olive mohair leech, in the bottom jaw you can see where someone foul hooked it, we couldn't get it out though.

kevthebassman

Reaction score
Helluva fish! Wish I could get down that way more often! Too much month left at the end of my money and not enough time left at the end of the day...

lancer09

Reaction score
Sorry that I couldn't report this back sooner. Fished last night to end the week with a splash making my third trip in a week.

I officially had my best ever trip fishing with the size, and numbers being present, but a couple of serious letdowns. I landed 43 fish all between 12 and 21 inches. Of those 5 were twenty inches or larger, and 15 to twenty of them were 17 to twenty inches.

Hot flies were purple leeches, cracklebacks, and something that I kind of copied of KG's Big 'ol ugly rubberlegs.

I had two serious hits, and two fish take me to my backing. About the time they got there twice the hook just popped out. The first, I actually got to see splashing a little and looked like a BIG fish, like 10 pounds or bigger after I had worked it back my way a bit. At first i thought dull hook, check, nope. Straightened? nope. Twice within fifteen minutes I lost two big fish to the hook popping out.

My friend said that it might have been how high I was holding my rod after the first fish, but I have always fought a fish high and it happened with the second again.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks for reading!

lancer09

Reaction score
The tailwater night fishing has resumed! Last night me and a good buddy hit it up for the first time since October and man was it fun.

We got down to the water around eight fifteen and were able to finish the last twenty minutes of the midge hatch, we both had a lot of missed hook ups. I'll blame it on the rust and wasn't able to get one to hand before it got dark.

We moved up to a different run and I started nymphing to pick up my first fish and atleast got some trout stink on my hands before we made a trip up to the gas station for a few adult beverages. I stuck one and caught my first trout twenty incher on my new TFO rod. It was a good fish and fought for a good three or four minutes. My buddy picked one up right before I did on a black/red mohair leech. We both missed a lot of fish before we were able to get one to hand.

Drove up to the gas station and picked up a couple airline bottles of stuff to mix when we got back, and we finished those real quick before we started fishing again. Ended up meeting with a couple guys my buddy knows and one of their dads and we all started fishing the same area that we couldn't catch a fish in earlier.

The five of us ended up sticking somewhere around 50 fish between everyone. I finished with a count of 16 and my buddy caught 24.

After my fourteenth fish I switched over from the mohair leeches and pine squirrel leeches we were fishing to a big ol white circus peanut.
First Cast, BAM! a rock. i basicly walked across the entire run to get the fly back and finall got another cast in. BAM! Ok now this is a good fish that I just stuck, litterally where I walked to free my fly. He takes the little bit of slack line in my hand and a few feet of line off the reel and just comes loose. I start stripping in and all of the sudden he was still on! I start stripping him in and he gets himself back on the real. Finally I bring him to hand and this was a FAT 22" male bow that had the beginnings of a hook jaw going on.
Very next cast i got hooked into another really fat 19" female that had to be put on the reel too.

After that I retired the fly and had a few hits on a white SDungeon but I didn't catch any more. Overall it was an awesome night and I think I may be going agian tonight.