Idaho Creeks Part 3

cpiercem

Reaction score
Part 3

And Cutthroats of several species…. Some of the nice ones

And some of the nicer ones Several of these were a real fight to get in. I was using a 3wt some of the time and a 4wt rod at other times, but with either rod my tippet was a 6x which is fairly light (3 lb test) since I had inadvertently run out of any heavier tippet. I did loose quite a few flies to both fish and flora. Of course anytime a fish breaks you off it is the hog that got away. Even if it was only 10 inches!

This one I only got a picture of his back. What shoulders! He made a run for it and took my fly with him.

A lot of different flies worked well and I went through a bunch of them. Earlier in the day smaller pale morning duns and adams worked well. Later on humpies, hoppers, ants, beetles, and caddis were on the menu, as well as attractors like royal wulffs and stimulators. Besides the flies that I lost to fish and trees there were a lot that just got chewed to death! Time to change this fly I think it was a yellow or green humpy. I am not really sure. It has given its all….

Much as I love the high country, I am glad to be home!

mrl0004

Reaction score
I really enjoyed all 3 of your "Idaho Creeks" threads. My absolute favorite are smaller creeks and streams for trout. It is so much more of a personal experience. I have never been able to fish out West. It will truly be a bucket-list trip one day. The farthest I have been out that way to fish is the White River in AR. I went to CO when I was 13 for two weeks, stayed in Coal Creek Canyon. A stream ran right in front of the cabin. I didn't know what trout were at that time, now if I only had a time machine!!! :D

littledavid123

Reaction score
Being able to see the results and hear the stories of great fishing trips is a big deal and a treat for those of us able to experience such wonders only rarely.

Thank you for taking the time to show and tell. :)

Dave

cpiercem

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. I just checked in a minute to say that I have to be gone again for a while and if there are questions I will try and answer them when I get back. Good fishing all!

Joni

Reaction score
C...so jealous..those are beautiful waters, area, and the fish are bodacious...great job and report.