Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Old Dry Fly Fisherman

1. Default Old Dry Fly Fisherman

If any of you have seen "A River Runs Through It" then you know the story of my family and me. I was born in Missoula, MT and was introduced to fly fishing at a very young age. I was brought up to believe that dry fly fishermen were the leaders of the world and all other types of fishing was only done by lesser men. I have been know to beat a stream to a froth with a dry fly, even when there was not evidence of a hatch. As I have grown older, I have mellowed. I now accept fly fishermen of all ilks, but I still tie on a #12 or #14 Royal Wulff just to see if a trout will rise and take a look. Just thought some of you more technically correct and better equipped would like to know where I got my love of seeing a trout rise and take a well presented dry fly.

Default Re: Old Dry Fly Fisherman

Nothing wrong with picking something you enjoy and sticking to it. The trout may do more of their feeding below the surface, but if only catching more fish was our goal, we'd all be using gill-nets or jug-lines. Fish on dry fly purist!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Old Dry Fly Fisherman

I have heard folk reference people like you described yourself in the beginning of your post as a "purist". I think we all love watching a trout come up and inhale a dry but I learned quick that over 80% of the time that trout are feeding sub surface and if you want to catch them, that is where you need to be. I never did understand the purist approach. It is natural for the fish to feed under the surface so I don't see anything wrong with fishing for them there with a representation of the natural bugs found there. I enjoys my days on the river even if I don't catch a fish but I can't see casting a dry fly out on the water all day long not catching anything when I know I can change up and catch fish. I guess we all have different approaches.
    Tight lines!
    Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*

4. Default Re: Old Dry Fly Fisherman

Remember I said that I was a purist when I was young, but now I have mellowed. One of my favorite tricks is to use a wooly bugger or nymph on a floating line. In moving water it will go down about a foot. Catch a lot of fish that way.

5. Default Re: Old Dry Fly Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Remember I said that I was a purist when I was young, but now I have mellowed. One of my favorite tricks is to use a wooly bugger or nymph on a floating line. In moving water it will go down about a foot. Catch a lot of fish that way.

Right on! I did catch that. My favorite lake fly is a wooly bugger. Oh I can't wait till the lakes are open!
    Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*