Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Montana Whitefish Invasion

I'm somewhat new to fly fishing (+/- 2 years). I've been living in Missoula, MT for 3 years and have been trying to teach myself; mostly on the Bitterroot. I normally get out about 3 days a week to fish. Normally I'll catch one or two trout in a 4 hour period and that is totally satisfying. But I always catch a TON of whitefish. (probably because nymphing is my go-to tactic if I don't see fish rising)

This culminated yesterday when I caught about 15 whitefish, with one 8 inch cutthroat. I had a HUGE rainbow grab my nymph and jump into the air, but because I didn't have a net it got away while I was trying to grab it. I'm not complaining because any fish is better than no fish, I would just like to see more trout... because I KNOW they're there.

My question is~
    Is there some way to "target" trout as opposed to whitefish? I guess they probably eat the same things available in the river. Are there any specific nymphs that trout will go after more-so than whitefish?

Default Re: Montana Whitefish Invasion

If those are the same whitefish we get out here in the Great Lakes...they are delicious! My answer would be to eat all the whitefish!
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

Tossing streamers should do the trick!

Some areas have more whitefish than others so I would try other parts of the river. Another tactic is to fish a dry and dropper. I catch fewer white fish using this technique. You can also fish dries during a hatch. The white fish rise is different than a trout rise.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Default Re: Montana Whitefish Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
    If those are the same whitefish we get out here in the Great Lakes...they are delicious! My answer would be to eat all the whitefish!
    How do you cook them? I kept some and baked them but there were too many bones to eat around to enjoy it. I heard they are pretty good smoked..

Blog Entries

Really boney fish are often dealt with well via smoking, like you've mentioned. Plus its just so darn tasty! I can deal with not being able to get the smell out for days...
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...