Headed North, ID, MT, WY...

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I am heading out on a North loop. I have a bit of time and I am heading for Montana via Idaho for some brown love.

If any of ya'll have any spots that deserve my attention it would be greatly appreciated. I dont keep fish and I never tell a spot that was told to me.

Any upland bird hunting info would be awesome as well. I have nothing set in stone but plan on hitting Henry's up to Missoula over to Shelby and back down...Might hit the Bob if I have the time to get there.

If any of you have time and want to drag me along on a trip that would be awesome as well. I can row and just about anything else to help.

I will have my float tube, 3-10 wts, heavy duty 4 wheel drive and my gumption.

Thanks in advance!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hey man swing by my place on the way, I'm about 40 miles south of the Idaho border on I-15.:) I'd be happy to share some info.

bobafett

Reaction score
You should try out Rock Creek if you are in the Mizzoula Area...i was up there about 2 weeks ago. The big browns hadn't really made a run, but there were tons of 12-14 inchers. and some really nice cutts...no bull trout for me, but they are there. In the island park area, you may want to try coffepot rapids area. I hear its starting to get hot again. and then the Henry's lake outlet and lake itself. If you feel up to a Yellowstone trip, there is a SW access from idaho to the Bechler and Boundary Creek...huge fish, very picky, beautiful country, and its about to close for the year. Good luck to ya.

Oh yeah, and the teton is pretty hot right now in the driggs, ID area.:thumbup:

edit to add: I just fished the teton for 1 hour before heading in to work...caught a cutty i have been watching/fishing to for 3 days...18 inches, 2+ lbs on a mahogony spinner...also saw some really small mayflies, maybe quills, or tiny tricos, i don't know my entomology too well, but i'm learning.

Last edited:

kayo

Reaction score
South Fork of the Boise, below Anderson dam. Wild rainbows and Bull trout. :thumbup:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Cochise, slow down man! Where are you? If you are coming up I-15 and looking for Brown trout love you have to stop on the Big Hole. I am reluctant to give up my exact hole, but I can put you in an area...the big boys should be in there right about now. If you haven't made it North of Melrose yet, send me a PM.

Once you get to Missoula, let me know. If it where over the weekend I might be able to take you somewhere...might. Otherwise, in general the Browns are moving toward, but not into, the tribs -- as of last I heard. The Bitterroot is fishing, it can get technical this time of year, multiple hatches and spinner falls, sippers on flat water...good fun! Also the Clark Fork has begun to fish...finally! Big rainbows on dries...if you're into that.

Let me know where you are!

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thanks guys it's all very excellent. I spent yesterday on rock creek and the clark fork.

Dean I will be fishing the big hole This weekend. I typically fish near divide And wise river But I am thinking I will fish the lower section. Thank you very much for the information. I used to float from jerry creek bridge to dewey.

let me know if you have any time to get on the river I have been moving like a madman.

dean_mt

Reaction score
How was Rock Crick and the Clark, which part of the Clark Fk did you hit? Nice day for streamer fishing. No way can I get away this weekend for the BH...I like the Melrose area...I'll PM a nice spot that fills up with fish this time of year. Can't guarantee they are there yet...

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I made it back, safe and sound from a whirlwind tour of the north country.

I did not fish in Idaho as I normally do but instead chose to spend all of my fishing time in MT, barring my last day, I was near the Miracle Mile so I figured, when in Rome.

Thanks for the good information guys I had an incredible trip!! I was snobbishly looking for big fish so I did not spend a lot of time on small fish waters. I never landed any real hogs but did have some excellent fishing for fish over 16".

Here are a few vanity shots with some cool scenery plugged in for balance.

If you see this truck, stop and fish.

Not the epic monster I was seeking..but it deserved a pic.

More of these than you can shake a stick at.

I know God was fishing with me.

Staples!

Another state, another river!

What a time, I fished by myself this entire trip and enjoyed it immensely. I hope you all are making it out to the river this fall, it is stunning!!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Great fishing, man! Is that Scotty Brown bridge?

Am I just projecting or did you spend some time on the Blackfoot? Nice, nice brownies. I am very jealous of the solo fishing adventure...I haven't had the opportunity to that in a few years.

No fair catching fish without tails!

Click the image to open in full size.
shoot...tried to add that last photo of the rainbow w/o a tail...

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

One more question...how do you take your photos? Just noticed that they are not the arm-length shots of most self-portrait fish photos...do you have one of those gorilla-pod things or just balance on a rock? They look good.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Looks like you had a great trip cochise! Did you do the campground thing? And I can see the full tail on that bow, look closely. milt.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys all I can think about is going back.

All of the pictures are taken from rock, log or bank.

I stayed in the bed of my pickup. I built a platform bed and have it set up for cooking, storage and sleeping. I normally take my camper but being by myself it was great for traveling not having the camper on.