Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  522
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Steelhead Pics

Default Re: Steelhead Pics

Quote Originally Posted by drr324 View Post
    Landed my personal best in 30 years of playing with steelhead. 37.5" Chased a chart egg/purple bodied egg sucking leech across a gravel bar about 6' and missed on the first attempt. Had my phone in my simms pack on speaker talking to my old baseball coach, told him a monster just gave chase, tossed back into him and he ran it down to smash it! Told my coach he hammered it and I would call him back! Took about 8-10 minutes to bring him into a shallow slack to tail him. Wish I would have taken just a few more seconds to set up the pics better, but with soaked hands, my phone screen wasn't reacting well anyway. Spent 10 minutes holding him in a slow seam to fully revive him and watch him swim off. Great fish here in N. Mi.Attachment 16443 Attachment 16444
    That's a monster! Congrats on the catch and the release. I usually take horrible pics, more worried about the release than the pic but yours turned out well enough to see how huge it is!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Ard, mcnerney, flytie09 liked this post

Mirror Lake, right in Lake Placid NY. This landlocked fish I imagine is a steelhead, the rainbow stockers are much different in colour. Taken on a black wooly bugger, works every day so far.

4. Likes mcnerney, Ard, flytie09 liked this post

Nice shots!

Had some really good early fall action this year, even had one day where I went 3 for 9 in just 4 hours of fishing, which is pretty atypical of swinging flies for steelhead. Found all kinds of new, productive water and have only bumped two other anglers while out there this season, both also happened to be fellow spey anglers. The cold snap came early this year and conditions have been pretty brutal for the last few weeks, and fish have shut down as a result. Last three outings have smelt of skunk... more bird watching than anything haha lots of eagles and osprey around to watch, I guess it's back to the reality of winter steelhead fishing!

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
    Danny

Danny

Blog Entries

Judging from those pictures Denny I'd say you have more fish than people there and that's a real good thing buddy! Some beautiful fish and a big beautiful river to boot!

Wow

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes flytie09, ejsell liked this post

Those are spots of dreams there Danny. Great stuff.

If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Thanks fellas.

Ard, you are absolutely right, it's an amazing experience to witness more fish than people out there. Some locals have also never seen a bald eagle(not sure if they never leave the house or what), but I've also seen more eagles than people, tallied at 6 so far, nothing compares to PNW but still neat. Two were in a tree right across the river watching me as I caught one of the fish.

ft, you bet, it pays to walk off the beaten path!

That river is pretty heavily stocked as well with 60 000 yearlings stocked every year, between 3 of us swinging flies and close to 20 fish this fall we have not seen a hatchery fish yet! Most people float fishing avg. about 50/50 wild/hatchery fish. So I'm not sure if the wild fish are more likely to hit a fly or what but it sure seems like it and that's awesome! The hatchery fish are all clipped at adipose to identify.
    Danny

12. Likes eastfly66, Ard, ejsell, unknownflyman liked this post
    Blog Entries

The fish kinda look PNW to me bud.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Last outing of 2019! Look at that smile

steel19.jpg
    Danny

15. Likes flytie09, dennyk, ejsell liked this post
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930