Brookie with Damaged Gill Cover

pab1

Reaction score
I caught this brookie today and only saw its left side at first. Its head was a little large for its length but nothing too unusual. When I took it out of the net to revive it, I saw the gills were exposed on its right side and a large piece of the gill cover was missing. Thats a first for me. Anyone see one like this before?

latshki

Reaction score
Ive seen it a few times too, I just assume its an injury or deformity

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've never seen that. Looks pretty gnarly, but he's a nice older fish so it can't be too serious. Great brookie, even with the scar.

pab1

Reaction score
Northerns are hard on trout too. I've caught quite a few that escaped the jaws of a pike. I've also caught trout (and pike) with the same wounds that have healed. This one was active/feeding and seemed healthy when I released it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First.................. That's an excellent Brookie!

Second, Ive caught fish with all sort of malady going on but as long as they had gas in the tank and I didn't get them bleeding I cut them loose. I figure the gill thing to be a first as far as seeing it hanging out like that. I have caught fish whose plates didn't seem to completely cover the gills and like this one you show they were old fish and large.

Third, the wound on that trout almost looks like a snag tear that is on the mend. it could have been caused by a Heron, or any number of predators. Since you're in Montana I'm not including lamprey eel on my list but if the fish is in public water it may have ran afoul of a treble hook.

Can you tell it's cold and snowing here? I really need to get out..........

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Northerns are hard on trout too. I've caught quite a few that escaped the jaws of a pike. I've also caught trout (and pike) with the same wounds that have healed. This one was active/feeding and seemed healthy when I released it.

The best Pike bite wounds I have ever seen were on a 38 1/2" Pike I caught fly fishing in the park in town. It had bite marks starting back by the dorsal fin and going uo all the way to just behind the head. It was the end of July so this was not a spwaning territory fight, this was a really big one thought the 38 1/2"er looked like lunch. It had grabbed the Pike near the tail and treid working it's way up to the head to turn it. I regret to this day only taking pictures of the nicer looking side. Like on the Cutthroat picture, the bottom jaw made holes and slices. The top jaw however, with all those little teeth in tightly packed bunches, ripped chunks of skin off every place it had gripped it trying to work it's way to the head. I really wanted to catch the one that thought a 38 plus Pike was edible. It's hard to see the holes and slices in this photo but that's a slice right below the dorsal fin and there are holes all around the area near my right hand. Unfortunately I picked this photo to make a copy from because it was the one hardest to see all the wounds in. I should look through my extra photo stash and see if I have a version you can see the damage better in. I know there are none of the bad side.

pab1

Reaction score
Very nice northern Dan! Hardy, the trout was in Colorado in a reservoir that has a lot of northerns. I have caught several trout and northerns with the same wound pattern. The tooth pattern is more distinct on the portion of the fish still in the water. I think what happens is that the northern hits the fish, then if the fish isn't stunned, it escapes when the pike attempts to reposition it so it can eat the fish head first. I have seen the same bite scar on adult northerns that avoided becoming a meal when they were young.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice northern Dan! Hardy, the trout was in Colorado in a reservoir that has a lot of northerns. I have caught several trout and northerns with the same wound pattern. The tooth pattern is more distinct on the portion of the fish still in the water. I think what happens is that the northern hits the fish, then if the fish isn't stunned, it escapes when the pike attempts to reposition it so it can eat the fish head first. I have seen the same bite scar on adult northerns that avoided becoming a meal when they were young.
OK I gotcha now, all I could see was the round looking spot. Here we get salmon who are scared by drift / gill nets, Orcas, seals and God knows what, Out in Hewitt lake the Pike eat one another so I imagine there are plenty of scared pike there.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Out in Hewitt lake the Pike eat one another so I imagine there are plenty of scared pike there.
That big Pike I got before the free Willy one, was coming into a spot in the evening to feed. The only thing we ever caught in there before she showed up was small Pike. I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what she was targeting in there. By the way, I'm still kind of annoyed by the Free Willy incident. I should upload a photo I have so I can post it of a Pike I got last summer. I had the biggest Pike I have ever had on. And I have had some really big Pike. It was taking line like I had snagged a Canadian submarine. I fought it for a seriously long time and all of a sudden it was gone, but there was still something there. When I got it in, here was this poor little Pike all of 16 or 17 inches long. It had been chewed up like ...... I'll have to post the photo. It was a seriously hurtin unit though.

Last edited:

pab1

Reaction score
Dan, it sounds like that "hammer handle" had a rough day.

Gator, thats a nice brown! It doesn't look like the missing fin is slowing it down at all.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Dan, that pike definitely took a beating. And thanks Pab, I didn't realize the fish was missing the fin until I got it in, the fight didn't feel any different!

Unrelated, I love the detailing on the cork grip of your rod, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I build my first rod, I know I want to do something unique with the cork.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I caught several brookies like that when I lived in Michigan. We also figured it was caused by either large brown trout or northerns, both of which inhabited the same water.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
While looking at the photo of the fish I caught today, I noticed some damage. Upon closer inspection, looks like at the time it occurred, it was pretty serious, it may have slowed the growth of the back end of the fish, but it definitely left a "U" mark (directly under the dorsal) and some serious striations along the side:

While this is the one I landed, besides the zombie salmon which are certainly worse for wear in not in varying states of decay, there were some pretty beat up browns cruising the waters.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but it looks like that brookie could have gill lice. I have caught a few in some spring creeks that have looked the same way. Apparently, brookies and bows are subject to gill lice, not browns.

Lots of great looking fish in this thread!