Tickled ... brown?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
So I listen to the Orvis podcasts and decided to send them a suggestion about what I'd like to hear on the podcast. There's a lot about getting the fish to take your fly, as we are all used to, but very little about fighting/playing fish. Since I've been losing a lot of fish lately, and I've been blaming myself for fighting them incorrectly, I suggested a podcast segment on playing/fighting fish and at the end I included the photo of the big brown I caught the other day. I got an email back today saying the suggestion was passed to Tom Rosenbauer and that they really liked the picture as well!

Picture of the Day: Beginner's Luck?

Needless to say, I was pretty excited :wiggle:, but I don't know how I feel about the title :rolleyes:

EDIT: I forgot to add an important part: this was caught on one of Eunan/S Fontinalis' flies, so thank you very much Eunan!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I notice Greg senyo, the designer of the fly I tied made a comment. And mike schmidt too, two of the biggest steelhead alley guides around! Mike ties great flies too , check out his site at anglerschoiceflies.com

oh, and I got the ellicot specials today, can't wait to give them a rattle this weekend

gatortransplant

Reaction score
No autographs to fans of the War Eagle, go Gators :D You guys can have our scraps, even if they turn into Heisman Trophy winners.... just kidding there, as long as its in the SEC I'm cool with it, since I live in other conference territory now!

Eunan, I noticed that comment from Greg Senyo, I want to send him an email and mention that you tied the fly that I caught it on, one of his wiggle-stones. I hope you do equally well as I, if not better, using those Ellicott Specials this weekend!

Dan, when I saw the title I wanted to send photos of all of the 20+" browns I've caught lately, but then I realized that 1) since I've only been fly fishing for 2 months I guess I AM still a beginner, and 2) I'm too stoked that my photo is up there to get cocky just yet. You can bet, however, that they will be getting an email the next time I catch a big fish questioning the nature of the inspiration behind the catch :p

jimbojo

Reaction score
That is a nice fish and a nice pic, nothing to be ashamed of at all, beginner or not. Besides, I always heard that luck is what happens when preparation meets oportuniy.

Jimbo

lthrnk03

Reaction score
A.J.-- i wish i had beginners luck like that! Awesome fish! Congrats on making the Orvis page!!

I gotta ask...Is that Ellicott Creek you were fishing? I know its your preferred stomping grounds

flytyer123

Reaction score
FANTASTIC fish and very well colored as well. :D I like the idea of a fish fighting popcast as well it is expecially important when dealing with fresh/salt water heavyweights :weight_li like musky, stripers, big bass, and tarpon. Not to mention some of the bruiser browns that i like to chase.:D

jimbojo

Reaction score
Hahahhaha, I was thinking the same thing. There must be something in your facial types that attracts large trout.. :thumbsup:

Jimbo

gatortransplant

Reaction score
My parents do have a guest-room, and I'm sure that my dad would love to have another fly fisherman around, my fervor for fly fishing has gotten him back into the hobby after almost 20 years. He never stopped fishing, but when he moved to Florida he stopped fly fishing and took up spinning and baitcasting reels and is just now going back. I'm hoping to get to take him fishing for browns and maybe steelhead next fall.

wetboot

Reaction score
So I listen to the Orvis podcasts and decided to send them a suggestion about what I'd like to hear on the podcast

Hey. great photo and great fish. Congrats on making the blog! I got one of the honorable mentions on that podcast (the topic contest, that is). Still bummed that I didn't get the autographed book, though.

-Rob

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Rob, congrats on the honorable mention! I actually made my own suggestion after the contest was over, I just wanted to get one in with the hope that someone could benefit from it. Who knows if it will make it to the podcast, but Tom sent me an email back with some suggestions on fighting steelhead and also a mention about an archived podcast that had some information on fighting fish. I need to track down the archived one... We'll see if this week's podcast makes any mention of tips on fighting fish!

rasputinj

Reaction score
That brown is a monster, great picture. That is awesome for only fly fishing a few months.