Weight Placement for Nymphing

let m go

Reaction score
New to fly fishing, when fishing 2 nymphs where is the best locationd for split shot? I tie the second fly off the shank of the first fly. Thanks

williamhj

Reaction score
I would put it above the first nymph, otherwise the weight below it might deaden it's action in the water. It's similar to fishing one weighted nymph with an unweighted trailing it. I suppose different situations might call for a different set-up though.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River. Vary the amount of shot depending on speed and depth of the water your fishing.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0hvZX2Uf0]Provo River "Bounce" Technique - YouTube[/ame]

I don't indicator fish very often, but when I do....

BigCliff

Reaction score
You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River.
Man, one of my favorite techniques AND Zeppelin? Speakin' my language bud.

A few points- one doesn't have to use a handful of shot for the technique. On slower water, I frequently run a bounce rig with two #6 shot on point.

Also, if you're going to use their clinch on standing line with overhand knots for stoppers, your standing line better be stout, because overhand knots cut its breaking strength by about half.

I normally build my two fly bounce rigs by tying on tippet twice and leaving the tags long. If you drop down to lighter mono for the point section, you can break snagged weights off and get your flies back.

milt spawn

Reaction score
You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River. Vary the amount of shot depending on speed and depth of the water your fishing.
Provo River "Bounce" Technique - YouTube

fysh, is this method legal in Utah? milt.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
:) Milt, yes, it is legal here, infact the video was taken on a river just over an hour from my place. Now if you were to add another fly(3) to the setup you would have a problem.

al_a

Reaction score
Other than fishing the bounce rig, I too like the weight to be above the first fly and not between the two flies. Another bad thing about putting it between the two flies is that it seems to get tangled up a lot worse when the weight is in that position.

By the way, I don't tie a separate piece of tippet off the bend of the first fly's hook. What I do is take a single length of tippet, 18-24 inches long, tie it to my leader. Then I tie the first fly with a palomar knot so that it's 6-8 inches below the leader/tippet connection. The rest of the tippet is simply a long tag end of the palomar knot hanging off the first fly, and I tie the second fly onto the end of that tag end. Then I place my split shot just above the knot connecting leader to tippet, which keeps the weight from sliding down to the first fly. Quicker and easier than tying the separate piece of tippet to the hook bend (one less knot to tie). Some people say that having the tag end coming off the eye of the first fly instead of the hook bend inhibits the drift of the first fly, but I catch plenty of fish on the first fly with my rig. You might want to try it and see if it works for you.

milt spawn

Reaction score
:) Milt, yes, it is legal here, infact the video was taken on a river just over an hour from my place. Now if you were to add another fly(3) to the setup you would have a problem.
Interesting, in CA you are allowed 3 flies, but technically the weight at the terminal end is illegal. I assume the MP is barbless/artificials regs? So a spin angler could use say, a Rapala with two barbless trebles (6hooks), but you cannot use three single barbless fly hooks? milt.Sorry about the hijack!

Last edited:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I've heard of other states being ok with a 3 fly rig too. Can you tell me why Cali has an issue with weight on the bottom?

Joni

Reaction score
Provo River "Bounce" Technique - YouTube

I use this with my newbies, however we also use a Thingamabobber. The weight on the end and two 6" to 10" tags with the nymphs. It is a sweet set up for a beginner to learn to roll the line up stream and let it drift, the roll again. The Split shot actually pulls the line making it much easier than teaching them overhead which most do not get...LOL

BigCliff

Reaction score
One other side note for bounce rigs. I actually recommend using weightless flies to reduce the dreaded "tetherball" effect.

A peacock and partridge soft hackle up top and a glo-bug on bottom is a solid combo most anywhere.

milt spawn

Reaction score
I've heard of other states being ok with a 3 fly rig too. Can you tell me why Cali has an issue with weight on the bottom?
It may have something to do with similarities with snagging rigs, not sure. CADFG Code, C.2 Art.1 Sec.2.1 (4), It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook. milt.