Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: old guy problem - seeing #20 midge dries

Big Fly.
    Hi Jim.
    Kelly thoughtfully posted "How to Tie The Parasol Emerger" which was really helpful,I hope to try them if the weather permits very soon.
    Brian.
    PS.
    I Looked it up as I occassionally return to it.
    Go to The Fly Tyer's Round Table Section,then to Share Patterns page 2,then "Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger" listing.
    Last edited by Liphookedau; 12-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Not necessarily for midges, but here is a trick from one of our club members that has worked like a champ for some of us. "Sharpie" makes a bright pink paint marker that shows up like a spotlight in nature. Just get a spot of it on top of your fly (good on coloring para posts).

Blog Entries

Thanks all! Here is a quick link to the Parasol Emerger step-by-step instructions here on NAFFF: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Blog Entries

Wow....thanks for all the feedback. Just returned from a skunking over in the Sierra foothills. No noses or backs showing at all in the bright sun and no subsurface love either.

Thanks to all for the links and suggestions. The parasol emerger I remember from a previous thread and looks like a dynomite bug. I've used hi-vis posts of various colors with limited success. Someone mentioned hot pink or red and at dusk in the last light that does indeed help me...

After reading the feedback it seems clear what I need to do is fish more and get better at what I'm already doing...and also add some tools like the greased line tactic and parasol emerger.

Thanks again! -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    After reading the feedback it seems clear what I need to do is fish more

That's generally the solution to all of my problems

I use parachutes with a white post. Generally, I know about where my fly is going to land and even better, about when it will land on the water. Both of these help to get me looking in the right place at the right time. Sometimes I see it, sometimes not. The right lighting helps a lot also.
    When I can't see it, I just follow something floating where I think my fly is and keep my eyes focused on the general area, not a particular spot. I set on any rise in the area. Sometimes I am right, sometimes wrong!
    P.S. I am 69 and getting old doesn't suck! I can go fishing any time I want and can pick the best weather conditions and never have to fish on WEEKENDS!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
    I use parachutes with a white post. Generally, I know about where my fly is going to land and even better, about when it will land on the water. Both of these help to get me looking in the right place at the right time. Sometimes I see it, sometimes not. The right lighting helps a lot also.
    When I can't see it, I just follow something floating where I think my fly is and keep my eyes focused on the general area, not a particular spot. I set on any rise in the area. Sometimes I am right, sometimes wrong!
    P.S. I am 69 and getting old doesn't suck! I can go fishing any time I want and can pick the best weather conditions and never have to fish on WEEKENDS!!!
    FF...that's what I TRY to do and you're right. I'm 63 in Feb and getting old really doesn't suck. Poor health might be an issue, but not for me yet.

-m

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123