Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My ugly, small, fin clipped hatchery Chinook Salmon...

I have had better fights from snags in the river. However, i caught it on a swung leach and is my fist salmon on a fly.

My cousin, who lives in WA, a friend of his and i went fishing on the north fork of the Lewis river in Washington. He knows the river well and has a drift boat. It was a nice way to spend the day after X-Mas and i got a chance to finally use the Redington Crosswater 8wt outfit i picked up for $45 on clearance at Dick's Sporting goods. My opinion is that it casts a lot better than the Cabelas 3 Forks i have.

Anyway, here the poor thing is. My cousins friend asked to keep it for smoking. Dont hold it against me please....

Blog Entries

Default Re: My ugly, small, fin clipped hatchery Chinook Salmon...

That's a beauty of a salmon buddy!

I bet it'll taste very good I've caught hatchery fish in Ship Creek right in downtown Anchorage and they were great. Not every king salmon has the heart of a Pacific Sailfish so you learn to take the hard fighters along with those who don't put up much of a fuss. Truth be told, if I'm fishing salmon for the table I would prefer those who just swim to shore so I can dispatch them over those who make me follow them 200 yards down the river thinking all the while I'm gonna lose the fish.....................

Congratulations on a fine catch!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

lol, thanks Ard.

It was a fun day for sure, if a bit on the cold side at about 40 degrees most of the day. I really liked the stretch of the Lewis we drifted.

Nothing wrong with that fish...Congratulations

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

smoke that buddy

smoked salmon.... yum

Instagram page @tblom77

Blog Entries

I don't know.................... If you only have 1 fish I would be either steaking or filleting that one and then get into the broiled salmon recipes. You gotta remember that's a Pacific Salmon with not too much color, very tasty stuff. We smoke some fish because I bring home somewhere around 200 or more pounds of fillets each season. When you smoke, it's like making Maple Syrup, it takes a lot of raw material to make a nice batch.

I used to have a little Farm-et piece of land back in the Mountains of Pennsylvania and sold Maple Syrup, Poultry, and Eggs. That's how I made the correlation between smoking salmon and sapping the grove

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

That's got to be a h** of a breakfast Ard.

Blog Entries

Vans: Congrats on a fine catch! Ard is correct, some salmon are very hard fighters and others don't seem to ever wake up and come in without much effort, but they taste great!

Larry
    Larry

I tryed honey glazed baked salmon a few weeks ago, store bought but hey,, its my only option in kentucky.. but the honey glazed salmon was AWSOME. been awhile since I had one smoked. maybe someday Ill fish waters I can take and feast on one I caught. fine fish you got there, no reason to complain.
    mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast