Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

Hello folks I have the chance to spend some time in the Canmore/ Summerland area next year and I would love the opportunity to do a little Salmon fishing. Im usually a double handed/ spey guy with a fifteen footer. Can anyone recomend where to go I am willing to travell a little to the Frazer but ideally would prefer a smaller river. Can anyone on the forum recomend a guide or tactics that might put a smile on my face? Regards Dom

2. Default Re: Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

The Fraser valley is a good place to start, you can fly fish the Fraser, Harrison, Pitt and several other rivers. Try visiting STS Fishing Guides - Fishing in British Columbia for Salmon and Sturgeon
    for guided fishing and lots of great info on BC fishing.

Good Luck.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

April Vokey and no one tells my wife about this post

I would also suggest Skeena and Dean River.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

Excellent local web site here: Fly Fishing, Fly Tying & Spey Casting Forum

Folks have no problem sharing info.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post

Sorry, i am currently her exclusive client...

No one tell my wife.

There are no real salmon angling opportunities in Summerland/Canmore or Alberta. In the interior of BC and north of Summerland there are opportunities to fish for some aggressive, large wild rainbows where sockeye are spawning such as the Adams/Horsefly river's runs. You will not want to target the socks as they are mature and spawning when they reach the interior of BC.

Other than that, near Vancouver there are plenty of opportunities...

The time of year matters the most, as always. Your spey rod can work great on the Fraser, Squamish and Harrison. In June, target Chinook on the Fraser, purple and black spider type patterns are awesome.
    If youre visiting in July/August, try Herling Island southwest of Hope BC. If there is a sockeye opening you will enjoy 20 fish days surrounded by yahoos wading out in their underwear. Red or Chartreuse. Fish the runs that the yahoos are absent from, look around and you will find the fish without the crowds. The Squamish River about 45 min north of Vancouver has a great Chum Fishery and is loaded with Sea Run Dolly Varden, Chum and coho in October. Much lower pressure, the Chum fishing in and around the Estuary is worth the drive, target the lower river for bright silver fish. The Harrison R is another awesome fishery, odd year Pink Salmon arrive in droves at the confluence of the Fraser/Harrison and provide fast action for silver fish in September. October finds the Coho, Cutthroat and Chum in the Harrison. Coho and cutties love a #6/#8 rolled muddler stripped on this river, or a grease line spider pattern. Chum will hit any well presented fly. Summer Steelhead are in the Chehalis Canyon but are not easy as you have to scale some steep sections; bring your rock climbing equip. I believe the lower Vedder River is Fly fishing only catch and release for Steelhead in May, try the lower River although you will be fishing for Kelts.

If you want to try beach fishing for coho/cutties and dollies, there are numerous places to try such as Crescent Beach near the Nicomekyl R, Capilano River Estuary, Furry Creek on the way to Squamish to name a few. As early as April in the Cap, September elsewhere. Bring a 6 to 8 weight along to try the beach fishing, use mickey finns rolled muddlers pearl micks or...

There are no real salmon angling opportunities in Summerland.

Hope this helps some!
    Last edited by anadromous angling addict; 01-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries

AAA,

That was a great first post to say the least!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will look through our threads and offer your expertise to other posters as well. Where exactly are you located at?

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Dude, now thats funny

10. Default Re: Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions so far, the plan is to visit friends on the B.C. Alberta Border then work my way West to where there is some good fly fishing to be had and spend a week or two there! Off the beach or wading away from the crowds or just a little off the beaten track with a fly perhaps not with a spinner or sat in a boat with a pink ping pong ball or a bag of Salmon eggs I dont mind doing this but just dosnt light my bonfire! I am not quite sure when my visit will take place, however any tips as to when I should think about timing my visit would be most gratefully received!
    THANKS VERY much for the tips and advice I have received so far!
    Regards Dominik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast