Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

Rip Tide mentioned in a post that Ted Williams was one of his flyfishing heroes and it reminded me of this great video of him on the Miramichi I believe in the '60s. It gives a glimpse into the past for some newer people and fond memories for others. You'll see that the C&R message was relatively new and Ted was a pioneer of sorts. Enjoy!

[ame=http://vimeo.com/6694640]Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon on Vimeo[/ame]
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

2. Likes fyshstykr, Ard liked this post

Default Re: Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

Thanks for posting that. Mr Williams truely was one of my heros
    He wasn't the nicest man however and there's a lot of stories.
    One of my favorites was from Jack Gartside.
    Apparently a young Jack waited to meet Williams at Fenway and afterwards went home to brag to his friends;

"Ted Williams spoke to me"
    His friends wanted to know, "Well, what did he say?"
    "He said, 'Get out of my way, kid'"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Great video, our gear may have changed but the passion is the same. One question, he seems to be casting downstream not upstream and working a drift. Is it just his preference?
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

WOW! The Great Ted Williams.
    That was fun to watch, Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Great video, our gear may have changed but the passion is the same. One question, he seems to be casting downstream not upstream and working a drift. Is it just his preference?
    90% of the salmon fishing here is done that way; fishing wet flies down and across. In lower water or for finding fish a bomber or other dry fly will be used casting upstream and dead drifted. The down and accross method is easier if you're fishing all day; the current swings the fly for you and even sets the hook if your mind is wandering when mr. salmon finally grabs

Rip Tide, that's interesting to know of Mr. Williams surly side and a great story to illustrate it
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    Rip Tide, that's interesting to know of Mr. Williams surly side and a great story to illustrate it
    Another that comes to mind...
    When asked by the press what he thought about Carl Yastrzemski, his replacement in the Red Sox lineup, Mr Williams replied;
    I've only got one thing to say about Yaz. Yaz fishes with worms
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes Ard, wannafish liked this post

That was awesome, thanks for posting. I had several flash backs watching.
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    90% of the salmon fishing here is done that way; fishing wet flies down and across. In lower water or for finding fish a bomber or other dry fly will be used casting upstream and dead drifted. The down and accross method is easier if you're fishing all day; the current swings the fly for you and even sets the hook if your mind is wandering when mr. salmon finally grabs

Thanks Wannafish, Every time I log on I learn something
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Great video of the Splendid Splinter. I had the privilege to speak to him for a few minutes in the Bahamas back in the 70s. He was getting off of Bonefish Folleys boat as I was getting ready to go out. Contrary to all I had heard about his demeanor he was pretty friendly. I asked him how the action was and he said it was real good and to listen to old man Folley because he was a terrific guide . We compared equipment and flys and he was on his way wishing me good fishing as he departed.
    What a day. Met Ted Williams, fished with one of the top guides in the Bahamas and got a bunch of Bones to boot.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Nice video was really great to watch .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast