Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Short Blueline Report

I decided to head north of the border today and fish one of my favorite winter streams. The fishing was pretty slow and no big fish were caught. This particular blueline holds large numbers and large fish.

I double nymphed most of the day, no indicator. Later in the afternoon I switched to a dry/dropper. I caught no fish on the dry, no did I have any strikes on the dry. All fish were caught on hair's ears, 14-16 size, olive, black, and gray colors.

As for the one that got away, I did have a 15-18 inch rainbow break me off early in the day. He made one strong run upstream and snapped my 5X very quickly. I had him in a gin clear slow moving run, so I got a really good look at him.

Here are a few pics. The colors on most of the fish were really nice.

Last fish of the day, a hideous, filthy, and disgusting hatchery raised stocked rainbow. He swam a long way upstream from any stocked waters to where I caught him.

Wild troutin', blue linin', fly flingin', camo wearin', redneckin' elitist.

Default Re: Short Blueline Report

Question...

How do you know that last fish was a stocker?

Here in CO, I know they clip the adipose fin of stockers but in your pic, it looks like it's intact.
    My fishing in Colorado Blog: http://coloradofly.blogspot.com//

Blog Entries

Looks like a great outing despite the lack of larger fish, the ones you posted sure are beautiful.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
    Question...

How do you know that last fish was a stocker?

Here in CO, I know they clip the adipose fin of stockers but in your pic, it looks like it's intact.
    It's hard to tell in that pic, but he was lacking in color and his tail was too small. The stocked fish here are pretty easy to tell as compared to the wild ones. Also, their gills plates look kind of weird. It's hard to explain without having a hatchery fish in my hand and showing you what I mean.
    Wild troutin', blue linin', fly flingin', camo wearin', redneckin' elitist.

Those fish are beautiful . it's a great day on an Eastern stream when you catch a couple of species of wild trout on the same stream!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Nice little place you got there... Too bad about the stocker.

Thats a good day of fishin! Looks like I need to head west and do some winter trout fishing!

Good looking wild fish. Our stockers out here look like they should belong on the Jerry Springer show. Trailer trash looking fish that are all beat up...
    I fish, therefore, I drink...

Easiest way for me to tell the difference between a stocker and a wild are the fins. Wild bows tend to have pink transparent fins with small white tips. Stockers tend to have dull colored fins (such as the one in this post), often time the tips are worn down due to the concrete bottoms of hatcheries, and are hardly ever pink. That rule doesn't always apply, but is a good indicator.

Looks like a great day!

It definitely makes things easier when hatchery's clip the adipose (that's what they do around here) but it's nice to learn other ways of telling the origins of specific trout.
    -Carl

Steelheader's Anonymous.