exotic trout in Wisconsin?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Exotic Trout in Wisconsin?

[IMG2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4/ATiger1.bmp[/IMG2] Found this on another site but wanted to share it with everybody. This is one of the most uniquely beautiful fish I have ever seen.

That site calls it a "Tiger Trout" and says that its a naturally ocurring hybrid of a Brown and a Brook trout. They are rare and sterile, but occur often enough to be well known in the great lakes area.

[IMG2="right"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4/ATiger2.bmp[/IMG2]:thumbsup: The tiger trout is a sterile hybrid cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout bearing unusual tiger-like markings found in neither parent. Tiger trout are very rare in the wild but they can occur in areas where book and brown trout both occur and share spawning grounds. Unfortunately, only about 35 percent of the young are able to develop because of a disease which is inherent in the sac fry. One example of the tiger trout was found in the Assabet River during the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife surveys. Tiger trout have been produced on a small scale in private hatcheries and stocked in various waters, where they are considered a fine gamefish.

Attachments

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They are stocked in numerous lakes in Utah as well. I have caught some up to 5lbs. They are incredible fighters and will attack most any fly!

They are fun!

easternflyfisher

Reaction score
bigcliff, i post on that site. the guy that caught it is REALLY tight lipped out tellin people his fishing spots. beautiful fish though!

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'll admit I post some on there too, although its pretty well always pertaining to equipment or flies.

I had to correct one guy recently who was saying that rod companies make multi-piece rods by cutting up solid blanks and adding ferrules. Geez!

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
They might have exotic trout in Wisconsin, but we have EROTIC CARP here in Texas. That's right EROTIC CARP! Have you seen the carp in the shallows in the local lakes in the past week or so? They are up in the shallows cavorting around doing their spring mating ritual, having sex right in front of everyone! They have no shame because they mate right there out in the open for all of us to watch and enjoy, er, to hide our eyes from. Have you seen those females shaking their tails all around? Some might call it "tailing", like redfish do, but it is really a sexual act by wanton females with no shame, shaking their tails for all to see. It is scandalous how they perform their erotic acts right there in the open, I think that I might call up the Baptists Pastors Association and ask them to come out and see if they can put a stop to this.

Curtis

Reaction score
I catch these from time to time in the Weber river here in Utah. They are also in several lakes here. The ones in the Weber are naturally occuring wild fish but the ones in the lakes are planters.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sr. Cliff!

How dare you expose us to the fact that wild animals procreate in the wild. Who would ever expect such a thing!?

Easternflyfisher: I post there as "BigCliff" as well. Some might think it to be self promotion, but I'm just big. I played NT for a very successful NCAA football team from 1998 to 2001 and got used to the idea. I have yet to break 6' , but 250lbs was broken long ago. I decided to quit playing ball in 2001 in the interest of fishing and have never looked back.

Curtis: who would ever have expected a peanut infestation (planters) in your local lakes? let us know if this improves!

Fish Bones

Reaction score
This thread inspired me to research the Tiger Trout. I'm in love. Now... I have to catch one. Fanatic... when we gonna go catch a Utah Tiger Trout? Curtis, You got an extra bed??? Mike can sleep on the floor... or with you. I've attached another cool pic of a nice Tiger. BigCliff, you wanna go?

Attachments

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Cliff... don't be modest... go ahead and tell us. Who did you play for???

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigers are as mean as they are pretty. And they love to attack flies! I may have to hit huntington Res when I go up for ice off.

Curtis

Reaction score
thefullcreel said:
This thread inspired me to research the Tiger Trout. I'm in love. Now... I have to catch one. Fanatic... when we gonna go catch a Utah Tiger Trout? Curtis, You got an extra bed??? Mike can sleep on the floor... or with you. I've attached another cool pic of a nice Tiger. BigCliff, you wanna go?
No problem. Just let me know so I can stock up on some bloody steak for breakfast!!

BigCliff

Reaction score
I played for a small Division III school in San Antonio called Trinity University. They actually use a bracketed playoff system for D3 and we made it to the final 8 every year I was playing. I totally tore the MCL in my left knee junior year and it never fully recovered, this also contributed to me not playing senior year.

Here I go nerding again, but I think that picture is actually of a "Marble Trout", not a tiger. Marbles are a subspecies of Brown (based on the scientific name) which are exclusive to Slovakia and some nearby countries. Here's more info: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/zoo/publikacije/avtohtone_pasme/eng/The Marble trout.html.

I think Davy said he has caught them and could likely tell us more about them.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Interesting... You may be right about the Marble Trout. The source identified it as a Tiger but they could be wrong. I'll research it a little... I certainly do not want to misrepresent our friend fish.

Attachments

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
Hey Steve do you think we could talk TPWD into stocking Tiger Trout at Tyler State Park next winter.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cliff Hilbert said:
Hey Steve do you think we could talk TPWD into stocking Tiger Trout at Tyler State Park next winter.
Just the two of you? I doubt it.:icon_wink

DAVY WOTTON

Reaction score
Tiger Trout

Oh yes. what a gorgeous looking fish they are.

Back in the homelands of the UK, there was a man by the name of Sam Holland. This guy owned a private fishery called Avington and way back in the 70s period has figured out how to use the gentics of fish to raise Rainbows to unreal proportions, 30 lb plus fish. Whivh you could go and fish for at this fishery at a price of course. Now this big stock fish were not alway as asy to catch as you might belive as l can attest too.

But he also messed around with cross breeding of other species such as the Tiger trout, which again he was able to grow very large. I caught some of those fish and boy are they pretty.

Sam, no doubt led the way back then for what is now common place, certainly in the UK, for the raising of large trout, which fetch a very high price indeed l can tell you. They are often purchased and stocked into the smaller put and take fisheries as a means to promote that fishery as having large fish of 20lb or more to be caught.
It is not my thing to be honest, l have done it and will admit that one. But the essence of fly fishing for trout is not in my view to fish for them in small put and take fisheries, even tho l will tell you that these big fish and for that matter the regular stock fish can become very difficult to catch at times, there is no doubt of that one. If they have been able to survive for a period of time.

Davy.

bobdea

Reaction score
Tigers are common here in MA, mass wildlife stocks alot of them, most in the 10 to 17 in range I have never pulled a tiger early in the season before stocking gets going so I assume they either don't winter well here or are not active in cold water.

this year was nuts for large stockers on a couple rivers though, got a 22 inch rainbow and a whole mess of browns in the low 20s