Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other?

BigCliff

Reaction score
I just wanted to see what everybody's favorite bug to fish is, if y'all have preferences. What's your bug?

While trout fishing with emergers or dries, I fish almost exclusively caddis patterns. I don't use the super-imitative spring creek type stuff, more like small Stimulators and LaFontaine's Diving Caddis. I like how active Caddis flies are versus mayflies and midges. I really like fishing dry caddis patterns across and down, throwing in what Gary called a "good bad mend", and seeing trout KILL the thing. Give me some of that and some good pocket water to drag nymphs through, and I'm real happy.

I do spend a lot of time deep nymphing as well, and the patterns I use there aren't really insect specific. They are usually copper johns or soft hackle peacocks. I'm also starting to fish midges more and more because they produce when other stuff doesn't.

If I had the chance to fish them, I'd probably be a big stonefly fan too. But compared to Caddis, the hatches aren't near as constant.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an obsession with fishing HOPPERS! I also love the "Royal Stimulator"

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I suppose anything dry is my favorite fly. The small mountain stream fly fishing that I like the best usually calls for attractor flies like a Royal Wulff, an Elk Hair Caddis or Stimulator in a size 16. Give me a handful of those and a high mountain stream in July and I'll be in pure bliss.

Curtis

Reaction score
Complete agreement with Steve. I love the small creeks and a royall wulff.

Others I love are the Green drake hatch on the mid provo, the Cicada hatch on the green, giant salmonfly on the blacksmith fork, and we get one wicked caddis blizzard on the weber.

ffjones

Reaction score
the hit you get from a hopper just seems better than a slurp of the dries.
but i do like fishing them as well.

BigCliff

Reaction score
For you Royal Wulff fans out there, do you tie your own or buy them? I've never even attempted to tie them because they look like a royal pain. I believe wholeheartedly in the near-magical qualities of peacock herl, but I will find other ways to use it.

ffjones

Reaction score
tying the royal's are a lot easier than you think. it takes a few times to get it right and when i started to tie them i tied them on a #10 just to get the hang of it and then worked down to the size i use now. #16 for the royal coachman

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I buy the darn things. I can tie a Wulff but I dont like to. I can buy them for $0.60 each at www.blueflycafe.com with free shipping. Now tying them for the love of the art of tying is one thing but for flies just to fish... at that price I just refuse to tie them.

BigCliff

Reaction score
good lord they're cheap! $7.50 for a dozen! Steve, are they well tied though?

Some of the flies pictured on their site are pretty ugly. Fattest tricos I've ever seen. But I guess the fact that I'm pickier than most contributes to the fact that I wouldn't approve of my royal wulffs.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BigCliff said:
good lord they're cheap! $7.50 for a dozen! Steve, are they well tied though?

Some of the flies pictured on their site are pretty ugly. Fattest tricos I've ever seen. But I guess the fact that I'm pickier than most contributes to the fact that I wouldn't approve of my royal wulffs.
Not as picky as Steve. I know this first hand. :icon_bigg

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Yea... I must admit... Mike is right. I'm pretty picky about some things. 98% of the flies I've gotten from them are 1st class. Very durable and consistant proportions. I recommend giving them try. 60 cents each is cheaper that I can get flies wholesale unless I buy them by the thousands from South Africa.

Curtis

Reaction score
BigCliff said:
For you Royal Wulff fans out there, do you tie your own or buy them? I've never even attempted to tie them because they look like a royal pain. I believe wholeheartedly in the near-magical qualities of peacock herl, but I will find other ways to use it.
I have tied them before but like you say, they are a pain in the butt to tie so I typically just buy them. There is a couple places here that you can buy flies for 0.79. They are not the best quality but they do the trick. I just pick up a handful of those and call it good.

Curtis

Reaction score
thefullcreel said:
I buy the darn things. I can tie a Wulff but I dont like to. I can buy them for $0.60 each at www.blueflycafe.com with free shipping. Now tying them for the love of the art of tying is one thing but for flies just to fish... at that price I just refuse to tie them.
Wow, 0.60, I am going to have to check into that one. I really only tie the flies I enjoy tying, which is not a whole lot of them. I really do not enjoy tying the more technical flies so I just buy those. I figure if it is not going to be fun, why bother. I know some people love tying the tech. flies but not me. I will just buy them from those who like doing it.

Fanatic is one of them. He loves tying and has a wide array of flies he is good at. I on the other hand can tie a kick butt thread midge! :D

BigCliff

Reaction score
Curtis I'd love to hear a description of your thread midge due to the fact that I think I've come across the best midge pattern per input-minute out there. (I'm not claiming to be the first developer of this pattern, but I will make it more public than those who already have!)

It hinges on the fact that you must have pure Antron dubbing. (readily available from Wapsi)

Here are the steps: Cover the hook with thread down to where you think the tail should be, pull off the appropriate sized wisp of antron dubbing, start tying it in at the tail and cover it with thread wraps 2/3 of the way to the hook eye. Leave the antron hanging off and dub the appropriate sized thorax. Pull the Antron over the thorax and tie it down with a couple wraps. Tie down the antron tight, whip finish the head and trim the antron at both ends at the length you deem appropriate. That's it! Three materials (counting thread) and easy to tie! If someone had shown me this pattern earlier, I would have become a midge fisher years ago!

If you want it to be a more accurate imitation, vary the color of antron, dubbing material or color, thread, or add a wire rib.

I will have to admit though, that its not my most productive midge. Who would have thought that a blueish midge would produce?..(post a request for more info if you're interested)

Andy G.

Reaction score
Ok guys,
Aside from cheap flys and a great midge pattern, my hands down favorite fly to fish is the parachute Adams. I can fish it nearly every where, and usually get a sniff or two no matter how close it matches the real hatch. I love caddis, and all the mayfly imitators, but if I had only one to pick its would be the PA.
For anything subsurface anywhere other than the more famous tail water fisheries, a soft hackle pheasant tail with a small bead is my first choice. Truth be told tough, I would rather catch on six inch brown on a PA then a dozen 10 inch subsurface (well maybe not a dozen).

PhilipRispin

Reaction score
Most of the trout I have caught have been on a size 14 or 16 Adams tied in the traditional manner. I know that this doesn't sound very exotic but they seem to work. Unless I can see what it is the trout are eating I will start with an Adams as a searching fly. So my fly box carries a bunch of these in sizes 12 though 18.

At home in Alberta in late July and August on the streams I fish another very productive fly is a light coloured Elk Hair Caddis in size 14 - 16.

Down here in Texas, where I currently live, I use a highly modified Red Wooly Bugger to catch Bass. Lots of fun.

Phil Rispin

BigCliff

Reaction score
Thanx for revisiting an older topic. I actually posted it because I am a Caddis fan. I will admit that mayflies are a more visually apealling creature than the moth-like critters known as caddisflies, but I am a perpetual advocate for the underdog! Especially when they are more important, as caddis flies are to trout in many places.

I love the fact that caddisflies are not as predictable as mayflies, and that their emergence solicits such rampant strikes from trout.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curtis said:
Fanatic is one of them. He loves tying and has a wide array of flies he is good at. I on the other hand can tie a kick butt thread midge! :D
Your booger midge doesn't count. I tied the "improved booger midge" which you got in your swap, and it beat the hell out of your original... ;)

But Curtis is right, I love tying. But, I only tie maybe a couple dozen different patterns and I have perfected them. I still buy flies.. but only a few differnet patterns..

PhilipRispin said:
Down here in Texas, where I currently live, I use a highly modified Red Wooly Bugger to catch Bass. Lots of fun.

Phil Rispin
Red? I never gave that color much thought.. You have a pic?

PhilipRispin

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I tried to figure out how to make this system take the picture I have, so far I am unsuccessful. I'll keep trying until I figure it out.
Phil R

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PhilipRispin said:
Hi Mike,

I tried to figure out how to make this system take the picture I have, so far I am unsuccessful. I'll keep trying until I figure it out.
Phil R
You can upload it to the Gallery and then post the BB code in the post. If that doesnt work let me know.