Small Water, Gotta Love It

franzenangler

Reaction score
Well I headed out leaving around midday. The weather was awesome, no more 94's it was 77 and it felt great. The fishing was great I believe it was due to the nice rain we got the day before. I fished only some pink weenies I tied up and man did I have a ball. There were still loads of swimmers but I hiked about two miles or so downstream of them, sat down on a rock and rigged up.

Now here are only handful of the victims that fell to the pink weenie.

Beast Of A Wild Brookie!!!!!!!

I also LDR'ed a brown that was an easy 14". As I was pulling toward my hand he through a head shake and all he left me with was a raw weenie. Man was I upset.

twfitw

Reaction score
Looks like a great day out... am growing more and more tempted by the weenie! will have to tie some up...

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love fishing small waters (my rod selection is evidence enough).....

So how did those fish taste?

michaeln

Reaction score
I really wish that when fishing in C&R waters people wouldn't mistreat the fish just to take a photo. Letting them flop around on the ground like that likely means those fish are all dead now.

franzenangler

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that all the fish caught were released safely and unharmed. I believe I know what I'm doing while handling wild trout, I've been trout fishing since I was 6 and am now 17. Thanks for lookin out though. But still no need to try and be Debbie Downer.

kg6bws

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that all the fish caught were released safely and unharmed. I believe I know what I'm doing while handling wild trout, I've been trout fishing since I was 6 and am now 17. Thanks for lookin out though. But still no need to try and be Debbie Downer.
Actually theyre telling you the truth, laying those fish on the ground like that will remove the slime and will likely end in their deaths.

I am no die hard C&R fisherman, but I know better than to set them on the ground.

Im 28 and have been fishing since I was a baby. Parents have a picture of me on my first bday holding one end of a stringer of fish. Instead of acting like you know all, be a little more receptive to advice. We all make mistakes and NONE of us know everything. We ALL, however, know a little of something that we can teach each other.

franzenangler

Reaction score
Actually theyre telling you the truth, laying those fish on the ground like that will remove the slime and will likely end in their deaths.

I am no die hard C&R fisherman, but I know better than to set them on the ground.

Im 28 and have been fishing since I was a baby. Parents have a picture of me on my first bday holding one end of a stringer of fish. Instead of acting like you know all, be a little more receptive to advice. We all make mistakes and NONE of us know everything. We ALL, however, know a little of something that we can teach each other.
Thanks for openin my eyes, yeah its tough to say I made a mistake. I should've wet the rock before laying the fish down if at all. Sasha's thread about C&R tactics Is mainly what I do, only I do not own a net I just wet my hands pick the fish up remove the fly and send them on their way. Usualy my dad is with me and has the camera ready but this time I was solo fishing. I'll be sure to pay attention to this next time. Sorry for my response to you Michael.

kg6bws

Reaction score
Thanks for openin my eyes, yeah its tough to say I made a mistake. I should've wet the rock before laying the fish down if at all. Sasha's thread about C&R tactics Is mainly what I do, only I do not own a net I just wet my hands pick the fish up remove the fly and send them on their way. Usualy my dad is with me and has the camera ready but this time I was solo fishing. I'll be sure to pay attention to this next time. Sorry for my response to you Michael.
Dont sweat it. I will all but guarantee you that alot of my early attempts at C&R are dead. Probably most. Ive learned alot since then and feel confident that the majority of those I release have survived.

Looks like you had a great day on the water though. Had one of those myself a few weeks back. caught a TON of browns. Nothing big, biggest was about 12", but it was just a flat out awesome day!!!

Im with you, I love small streams!!! My dad and I have friendly little arguments all the time. He prefers the ocean and 300lb fish. Me, Ill take a nice quiet little stream with noone around, enjoying nature, and catching those little 1lb trout that I managed to fool into taking my fly.

Keep on it dude!!!

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No worries at all..... We all have made mistakes; and as pointed out in an earlier post NONE of us know it all. That is the cool thing about forums like this. People are generally friendly and offer up advice. Sure there might be a little ribbing (i.e. my "how did they taste" comment) but it is light hearted. Some forums are a bit different though. If one posted pics of fish on the ground or hotspotted a river; one could expect a full blown flame war.

Back on the topic of small streams. Personally no matter where or what I have fished for, small streams remain my favorite. I love hitting small waters with one of my 0wt rods (I own quite a few as that particular model is no longer made) throwing big bushy dry flies.

The small wild and native wild trout that I fish for are a blast and I really enjoy the experience. In addition getting out off the beaten path is nice. I typically will have a place all to myself with no other angler in sight. It is a vastly different experience than fishing a crowded tailwater or for anadromus species (but those types of fishing are fun for different reasons). One last thing on smaller creeks/streams/ etc. I hardly ever use a net. I just wet my hand, cradle the fish in my hand and snap a pic. If the fish happens to get away or the shot is bad so be it.

michaeln

Reaction score
Apology accepted. I think Sasha's C&R thread is one everyone should read and can learn from.

Tracker12

Reaction score
FA
Was that stream in NC or up in VA. What ever you appear to be blessed with plenty of fishable water. I am very jealous.

cnanoski

Reaction score
I've fished in small rivers for years in the north Oregon coastal area and I've honestly never taken a pic of any fish I caught, never even kept one out of water long enough to take a pic. I try to get em back in as quick and painlessly as possible.