Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod/Reel help

Default Re: Rod/Reel help

unfortunately there aren't any fly shops close besides White River inside of Bass Pro (very limited selection). I am very interested in the Elkhorn rod and reel's, am hoping to find one I can try out before purchasing, and am also very interested in the Redington's mentioned earlier in the post. I think I will use this 3wt as a dry fly rod only, the 5wt I have works well for nymphs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Redington Classic Trout 376-4 $150
    Redington Drift 2/3 $100
    Rio/SA/Airflo premium line $ 75

Total $325

Great recommendations

3. Default Re: Rod/Reel help

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
    unfortunately there aren't any fly shops close besides White River inside of Bass Pro (very limited selection). I am very interested in the Elkhorn rod and reel's, am hoping to find one I can try out before purchasing, and am also very interested in the Redington's mentioned earlier in the post. I think I will use this 3wt as a dry fly rod only, the 5wt I have works well for nymphs etc.
    Honestly, that Redington outfit is really great for the price. I might consider the TFO BVK as well. It has a conversion kit which will switch the 3wt into a great rod for high sticking/Czech nymphing.

I don't know anything about Elkhorn, but they aren't a major brand.
    Trident Fly Fishing
    www.tridentflyfishing.com

Have a question or want to get in touch? The best way to reach us is by sending an e-mail to support@tridentflyfishing.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
    I think I will use this 3wt as a dry fly rod only...
    Do not get stuck with the mentality that a 3 weight is a dry fly rod only. They are versatile enough to throw a variety of flies as long as they are not big and bulky. I probably throw more soft hackle wet flies than dry flies with my 3 weight.

Dennis

I haven't ever tried to throw streamer's with my 5wt, only wooly buggers etc on there. But I have used that rod for dries, nymphys, grasshoppers etc so I am hoping that a smaller wt rod will help with dry fly presentation. I have gotten fairly decent dropping dries with that 2 piece 5 wt so I probably don't "need" another rod, but doesn't hurt to look!

Its a very fine line between 'need' and 'want'. I like to err on the side of caution, and get the rod, just in case i was wrong and it was 'need' instead of 'want'.

Allen fly fishing co.--------ATS rod-$160
    Allen fly fishing co.------Trout reel-$115 (deal of the week in blue for $90)
    Orvis trout double taper wonderline-$70
    furled leader either from cutthroat leaders or Joni on the forum

Total $345 plus furled leader

i own both the Reddington CT and the Allen ATS and they feel very simmilar but when i head out to the water i always grab the Allen ATS, i like it better.

Thanks for all the replies guys, helps to have different options. I am more of a bow hunter, only because there aren't any trout streams close enough to get to without using some vacation time and bass fishing isn't as fun for me as trout fishing is. Nevertheless I am hoping to convince my better half to move out to Montana so we will see I suppose! I have heard a bunch about Czech nymphing, anybody care to explain what that is?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by araitim View Post
    Total $345 plus furled leader
    This is going to sound naive, but what is a furled leader?

Furled Leaders are a type of knotless tapered fly fishing leader made by twisting many strands of 1, 2 or 3lb test. They are known for their high performance, low memory, and soft fly presentations. These attributes are due to the way these leaders are constructed which is similar to creating rope. I started making them 2 years ago because i didnt want to have to buy standard tapered leaders and there is something satisfying about catching fish on things you make yourself. check out Making Your Own Furled Leaders

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast