Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod/Reel help

Default Rod/Reel help

Hey guys n gals, looking for a dry fly rod/reel for NE Iowa here. I am thinking most likely 3wt, 8 foot range. I don't fish rivers, mostly strems under 20ft wide. Can't spend a whole bunch, hopefully get the whole package around $400. I would prefer a 4 pc as I already have a 9' 5wt I use for everything, just looking to expand my fly fishing horizons. Any recommendations?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rod/Reel help

Redington Classic Trout 376-4 $150
    Redington Drift 2/3 $100
    Rio/SA/Airflo premium line $ 75

Total $325

3. Likes Vans liked this post

So this is going to sound incredibly naive-but I need a reel and a spool correct? As in they aren't sold as a set?

Blog Entries

A complete reel is a frame and a spool. Extra spools can be purchased separately.

Ebay at times has combo's for under $400. Check around the net for fly shops with close outs and specials. Good luck!

Blog Entries

I don't fish in NE Iowa, but have fished other streams in your general region and use a 386 or 486 more often than not. If you are sold on a 3wt, I would go 386-4 and pass on the 376 rod. The extra foot will allow you to use this more effectively when nymphing and be a fine setup for dries as well. Save your 590 for streamers and larger flies. If you like a moderate action rod, MP's suggestion is a good one. I have read nothing but great things about this particular rod.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    If you are sold on a 3wt, I would go 386-4 and pass on the 376 rod. The extra foot will allow you to use this more effectively when nymphing and be a fine setup for dries as well.
    keep in mind the areas you will be fishing. if there is alot of tree cover and tight spots, the 376(7'6'' 3wt) may be the better choice, if your areas are more wide open, then the 386 is the way to go. I just bought a 486-4, but I am thinking I should add a 376 to the stable for those tight spots and streams with alot of canopy for dries.
    Also Cabelas has some pretty good rod/reel combos for under $400, and you usually get the line and backing.
    Last edited by Mnflyfish; 06-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.

9. Default Re: Rod/Reel help

I just recently started fishing the streams around Decorah with a 5wt, 8'6" Clearwater and have come to appreciate the benefits of a 3wt, 7'6" myself. As such, I can see the benefits for the bigger rod and can see myself using it quite a bit for certain stretches of my favorite stream, esp. when using nymphs. But right now, I am deciding between a number of medium-action options including Scott G2, Sage ZXL, Winston Trout WT and Orvis Superfine Touch.

T&T LPS863-3 w/Ross reel on ebay $400.00 & free shipping! 6hr to go.

For $400, you have a lot of choices. If there isn't a local fly shop, I'd go Cabela's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast