Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nymphing

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nymphing

Quote Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post

I dig this set up, I am going to give it a shot.
    Thanks for sharing!
    In those deeper pocket waters of the Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, make your leader body a bit longer. I'm sure that know how deep those holes get.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    In those deeper pocket waters of the Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, make your leader body a bit longer. I'm sure that know how deep those holes get.

Dennis

Oh Yeah,
    I''ve been fuddling with 7.5 foot tapered leaders constantly cutting off and tying on bits.
    I've been trying to figure away to do away with all of it and just use a butt and straight leader and never thought of the tippet ring.
    Good stuff.
    -Carl

Steelheader's Anonymous.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    If you want to take a couple of years off your learning curve, follow this advice.
    I would, but at moment I don't know anyone that lives close enough that actually consistently and effectively fishes nymphs, and guides, though I really would consider that option, aren't anywhere close. Living in Oklahoma where there is really only two "trout" streams doesn't help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nawilliams View Post
    I would, but at moment I don't know anyone that lives close enough that actually consistently and effectively fishes nymphs, and guides, though I really would consider that option, aren't anywhere close. Living in Oklahoma where there is really only two "trout" streams doesn't help!
    sounds like you need a vacation in Colorado or Arkansas . Lot's of good advice here. It's really not a difficult way to fish, as long as you understand mending and line control to get a good drift. The best set up in the world will not catch fish without a decent dead drift. Once you learn to mend, the rest is cake. Good luck. -m

5. Likes williamhj liked this post
    Blog Entries

Have you looked around for a fly fishing club in Oklahoma?

Many clubs have mentoring programs.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    If you want to take a couple of years off your learning curve, follow this advice.
    I agree with the above posters as I was clueless on nymph fishing when I started using a fly rod and my fishing partner was an expert so he spent a lot of time with me teaching me techniques on nymph fishing. His help greatly helped my learning curve and I nymph fish 95% of the time. I only dry fly fish when I see a lot of surface action and can identify a pattern that matchs what ever they are feeding on.

Blog Entries

Get as deep as possible without snagging up. Find a reason to set the hook on each drift. Turn over some rocks or use a seine and mimic the available food. And google up "Leisenring Lift", that and its variations should help. milt.
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

There's a yahoo group called blue river flyfishers that you should join, lots of folks to fish with in that area. Also hold a great One Fly event, the first was this February.

Great flies I've used there are dead-drifted woolly buggers and Rainbow Warriors, also standard Hare's Ears, pheasant tails, zebra midges, rs2s. I wouldn't be caught dead on any of the rivers I fish (in TX, OK, and CO) without some of all of these in various sizes in my box. Also always carry a good caddis larva pattern

Since no one else has mentioned it...
    I get my best results with nymphs when I fish the edges of slots. The old standard rule for trout is- where the most water goes through the narrowest spot is where the fish are. The sides of those slots, where the fish can stay out of the heaviest current and still see all the food going by is where your nymph should be presented deep and drag free. That means starting the drift well enough above the target area so the bug has time to get well down.
    Since nymph rigs tend to be a mess to cast and control, try for short drifts and easy, short water loaded casts.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

11. Likes kayo, biggie_robs liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast