Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Backpacking and brook trout

Last weekend was spent exploring a lake that was mentioned by a local fly shop pro. I will be a bit vague, but lets just say you start off from a prominent trailhead and campground area off the famous 'Peak to peak' highway in Colorado's font range. A couple miles of difficult 4 wheeling (hint) followed by a 5 mile hike in along a scenic river leads to a small climb up a ridge to a beautiful little lake at 10,370' that is perched several hundred feet above the glacial valley below. We made camp right before the afternoon rains started. Fishing that evening was great along the shore; especially at the inlet and below some cliff bands. A hearty meal of bean burritos and a game of chess readied our tired bodies for some deep sleep.

The story was that this lake had some larger cutthroat, or at least used to. We did not find any fish larger than 12", but we did find plentiful eager brook trout that would eat any sort of tan elk hair, stimulator, or PMX type fly. Higher winds and chop the following morning led to a hike around the lake to some protected coves and granite rock ledges jutting deep into the lake. Fish were harder to find, but moving along the shore produced about a dozen that morning before it got warm and the bite shut off completely.

The water was crystal clear;when the lighting was right one could watch the fish charge the fly from several feet away. It took me several lost fish to remember to slow down on the dry fly hook set!

Between saturday evening and sunday morning roughly 2 dozen fish were caught and released, and my girlfriend caught her first brook trout! I also managed to catch a small brook trout from the creek during a lunch break on the hike in. The creek itself would be a great place to fish all day.
    Successful flies were #10-14 bushy attractors in tan. I had a few takes on a dropper below, but switched to a single barbless dry after getting mostly top strikes. It doesn't really matter which lake you find, if you hike out far enough the reward will be there for sure!

Instagram page @tblom77

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Backpacking and brook trout

There is nothing better than being rewarded by the fish gods after a long hike in. Colorado has some of the best high country fishing out there.

Thanks for sharing.

PS: feel free to PM me for information about the lake or the creek, I just don't want to broadcast the name to the whole internet!

Instagram page @tblom77

5. Likes mikel liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
    PS: feel free to PM me for information about the lake or the creek, I just don't want to broadcast the name to the whole internet!
    Thanks!...I'm trying to make it out there this summer as I have friends in both Denver and Boulder.

Doesn't seem like the fires hurt the fishing out there that much!

I never will get tired of seeing those brookie fins...Stunning...Well done
    Fishing the world....1 Flat at a time.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
    "All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
    A hearty meal of bean burritos and a game of chess readied our tired bodies for some deep sleep.
    I wouldn't want to be around you guys the next day!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

9. Default Re: Backpacking and brook trout

Great pics, sounds like a good hike

10. Default Re: Backpacking and brook trout

This is the dream! I am graduating from college this month and want nothing more than to do this!

Sounds like an awesome few days. These are the adventures I love the most. Beautiful spot and nice photos!

12. Default Re: Backpacking and brook trout

Beautiful country.