Two firsts - one day

Reaction score
Well, I got out on a nice stretch of water the other day with a friend. After scanning the area before we got started we noticed some fish that were quite big compared to the regular inhabitants in this water way. This notched up the excitement level quite a bit, especially for me as I had not yet caught anything of substantial size with my fly gear.

Instead of jumping right in to the pool we found the holding hogs we decided to approach the area from two directions. I went upstream through thick brush and worked down and my friend went downstream through woods and worked up. As soon as I got off the bank and into the water I started throwing my dry fly (trusty old #14 adams) out down and across and within minutes had wiped the skunk of the day off my hands. Caught three fish while working my way down stream. Now none of these fish had any size to them, the biggest being about 4 inches, but action is action so I was riding a positive high as I approached the "honey hole"

the targeted pool

When I got myself into position to get my fly out into the pool I heard some voices coming through the trees. 2 other fishermen emerged on the bank. They started out by asking us how the day was going and what was working....yada yada yada (so much for a stealthy approach to the hole) What happened next was quite a buzz kill. They proceeded to thrash off the bank and right into the pool me and my friend had just spent over a half hour stalking our way to. They "holed" us, but not a high hole or low hole version, just casually took the hole from us by wading in between us. This was the first time this had ever happened to me, so I was shocked and pissed all at the same time. Judging by the look on my friends face I could tell he also felt this way, and for a minute I was worried things might turn for the worse.

To try and lighten the mood / situation, I got back onto the bank we had left our packs / cooler at and grabbed a cold one - motioning to my friend across the water to come over for a beverage break. We sat and watched these guys throw their worms into the hole and spook all the big fish we had previously been excited to see. After about 15 minutes they got frustrated and decided to move on, but for one last kick in the pants they decided to throw some big rocks into the hole to see how the big fish would react. We bit our tongues painfully and once these graceful fishermen left we decided that we might as well try our luck seeing as to how we were already here, even though our chances of catching any of these spooked trout were slim to none.

I made the decision that since the chances of hooking one was slim, I would use the rest of the time on the water practicing streamer casting / fishing as I had not yet tried any techniques other then dry fly fishing. This decision ended up changing the events of the day for the better. The first thing I noticed was how different casting a streamer (with a split shot) was compared to my regular small dry flies. After making a couple adjustments to my cast I waded down to the top of the pool and let my wooly bugger fly. My first cast missed the bank I was targeting, so I quickly stripped the line back in and tried again. The second cast went exactly where I wanted it to go - and that is when it happened.

I waited a second once my bugger hit the water, and started with two small strips and then I felt the tug. At the same time my buddy on the other side of the hole is yelling at me "he's got it, he's got it". My heart started to race and I quickly discovered that my drag was not set properly for the size of fish I had on the other end of the line. He easily took about 70 feet of line off my reel before I was able to adjust the drag setting. He was heading downstream towards some fast current, so instead of trying to chase him and allow him the opportunity to get into current, I decided to stay put and fight him. I managed to horse him a little and get him turned around and got most of the line back that he had pulled out. After another 5 minutes or so I got him close enough to attempt to net him. Once he got close enough, I started to worry that my net might not be big enough. My first attempt at netting him failed, as he thrashed and bounced out as I lifted the net. He then decided to have another tantrum, so after letting him get it out of his system I bent down and on my second attempt swooped him up with the net with success.

Here's my first fish caught with a streamer, and first sea-run rainbow trout. I was using a 5wt rod / reel and a green and black wooly bugger. The fly now sits at home next to the griffin's gnat that caught my first trout on the fly.

the difference in color from fresh water to sea-run trout is amazing. This guy was full-on chrome.

and the release...

In the end, just like a Disney movie, the day that looked like it was heading for the dumps was not only salvaged but will be forever remembered. This was a first that won't be forgotten, not to mention this was my personal best sized trout on fly gear. What a feeling. :wiggle:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the end, just like a Disney movie, the day that looked like it was heading for the dumps was not only salvaged but will be forever remembered. This was a first that won't be forgotten, not to mention this was my personal best sized trout on fly gear. What a feeling.
:clap:congrats!!!the smile on the last pic....is worth a thousand words;)

latshki

Reaction score
awesome steelhead man!
I was in bonshaw and got a few yesterday, then went to valleyfield and hooked the biggest trout of my life, at least 30"

The amount of huge fish I saw yesterday was incredible, just incredible
my heart's thumpin just thinkin about it!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that certainly did turn out to be a great outing. Hard to believe how rude some people can be. Now you can understand why Ard loves to streamer fish.

stimulator2

Reaction score
Thats dreat glade you got one only thing better is if the rude idiots had seen you catch it after what they done to the pool.

nickj

Reaction score
You showed remarkeable restraint in not saying anything to the two jerks. I've never been known for my remarkeable restraint. When polite words fail I have no problem wading through the middle of the pool myself.

ritchierich

Reaction score
Wicked story! Nice chromer to.

Your story got me stoked for my own steelhead season coming up in a few weeks!

buffler razz

Reaction score
Great story and a great fish too! As others have said, it is too bad the knuckleheads didn't see the action. Thanks for the story.

Reaction score
awesome steelhead man!
I was in bonshaw and got a few yesterday, then went to valleyfield and hooked the biggest trout of my life, at least 30"

The amount of huge fish I saw yesterday was incredible, just incredible
my heart's thumpin just thinkin about it!
Hey Latshki....me and a buddy are heading down to bonshaw this coming weekend. This will be our first time fishing down there. Already have scouted out a few spots that we plan on checking out and have heard there are quite a few nice sized fish in the system. Any suggestions on what flies to bring / use? Mind telling me what worked for you. Wouldn't mind snapping a few more pictures filled with smiles and trouts.

I too wish the other fishermen were still lurking around when I hooked into that fish. I still believe karma played a big part in catching it. I would not have turned to a streamer if they hadn't disturbed the hole. I really just couldn't believe what they did. I'm still "new" in getting back into fishing, but I was taught at a young age that there is an unwritten rule regarding walking up on a hole that is already being fished.

latshki

Reaction score
Stuff like that happens all the time unfortunately, especially early in the year.
In bonshaw, I do best fishing a 14 or 16 bead head pheasant tail under an indicator in the fast water. I usually streamer fish in the slower water or use a dry, depends on if anything is rising. Favorite dries on the west for me are, elk hair caddis in many colors, smaller the better, parachute and normal adams too. Also a hopper would be good.

happy fishing

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Latshki....it will be our first time getting our lines wet on the west river. Hopefully the scouting trip, and some of your suggested weapons will get us in to some nice fish and make all the prep work worth while. Usually I fish sections of the dunk, and although we always catch good #'s, we rarely find much in size...at least so far. I missed the beginning of the season, but hope to use the rest of the season making up for lost time.

Will definitely let you know how things go on the west...thanks again for your advice