Amazing Day Fishing (Pic Heavy)

williamhj

Reaction score
Had an amazing day fishing this past Saturday. For the third year in a row my brothers, dad, and I did a fly fishing weekend. My younger brother and I fish, the others have fished now three times, once each fishing weekend. The first year we tried a DIY trip based out of Fairplay CO, but it was tough for the non-fishers. Last year we stayed in Frisco and had a nice guided day on the Ark south of Leadville. This time we stayed in Nederland and had an incredible day guided on private water. Here are some highlights.

Friday we took my dad and a brother-in-law up to an alpine lake above 11,000 ft (they had just flown in from Chicago so the hike was interesting). We fished a bit before the sleet started so we headed down. Got some beautiful greenback cutthroats on beetles. Their color was incredible, I wish this picture showed it better.

Saturday we got into some amazing fish. My brother-in-law started the day with a huge rainbow.

My dad, brother, and brother-in-law got some nice fish as well.

And I enjoyed catching some on my newly finished 4wt bamboo

We landed over 50 fish in the day of fishing, I don't think any were under 10 inches and several over 5 lbs. 95% were taken on a range of nymphs though I happily fished dries for a bit of the afternoon and landed my first Snake River Cut. Also caught my first Colorado Cut, which was unexpected, and I caught my first trout over 5lbs. Most of the fish were rainbows though we did caught a couple browns in addition to the cutthroat. Had countless strikes and many, many 'long-distance releases'. Not sure if I'll top this day for awhile, though we'll happily try again next year.

Finally, here's my favorite picture from the trip and the view from the deck of the our rental house.

Thanks for looking!

littledavid123

Reaction score
Congratulations on the successful trip. There are few days in ones life where everything comes together so well and you have the memories and photos to carry you til the next one.

Great Post

Dave

hexx

Reaction score
Niiiiiice! What a trip, great pics too. Can't say I'm not a little jealous! cheers

bigtone1411

Reaction score
I'm jealous. Hopefully I can ditch some responsibilites this weekend and do some fishing. It is great spending time with family and friends with a fly rod in your hands.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
William: Great trip report and photos, congrats on the huge rainbows! I can imagine that hike up to the alpine lake was pretty hard on your dad and brother-in-law having just arrived from Chicago! :D

williamhj

Reaction score
William: Great trip report and photos, congrats on the huge rainbows! I can imagine that hike up to the alpine lake was pretty hard on your dad and brother-in-law having just arrived from Chicago! :D
Yeah, we took it slow! Lots of water and breaks but they did great and loved the scenery. Nothing like cutts above the treeline under a 14'er.

Thanks for the kind words, was great time with family and it will be tough to top that fishing.