Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

Hi to all,

I sent an Email to RIO and asked what to use on the guides and if a petrollium based product would hurt their fly lines. Here is Rio's response.

Hi Frank,

Thank for your email. RIO does not recommend any specific product for use as a deicer. All petroleum based products will cause a fly line coating to harden and crack prematurely.

A few products that might work but we have not tested are... glycerin, our own leader sink product, and animal lard.

I hope this helps!

Based on his comments I think some of the suggestions to keep your guides clear of ice should not be used. I would definetly stay away from petrollium based products.

Frank

Hi to all,

Here is Loon's Stanley's Ice Off. It doesn't say if it has any petroleum in it. If somebody has this will they check the ingredients and get back to us.

Frank

STANLEY'S ICE OFF PASTE
    A non-toxic antifreeze paste for lines and guides to keep them from freezing. Effective to 12 degrees below freezing. Apply Stanley’s to your line and guides with fingertips or a clean cloth. It won’t hurt you or your equipment as it is completely safe and environmentally friendly. Reapply as necessary depending on weather. It works. Just ask any Midwestern winter steelhead fisherman.
    1/4 oz.

PRODUCT TIP:
    Apply Stanley's Ice Off Paste to the line and the guides with finger tips or clean cloth. Reapply about every twenty minutes of fishing time depending on the weather.

Hello Frank,
    Thanks for researching this further.

I bought some of this for ice fishing a few years ago, never did try it and don't even know where it is. Infact I don't even ice fish much anymore.
    Anyway I was thinking that it might be more effective for ice fishing than winter flyfishing because of the amount of line travel, size of line and friction in the guides.

Another question for anyone that has tried it, when you apply it are you leaving a light film on the guides? or are you applying and wiping it off, kinda like waxing a car?

HA! Rio recommends lard!

Another thing to keep in mind is how the water gets on the guides in the first place- stripping it. So, less stripping of the line means less potential for ice on the guides. Swinging wets or streamers (with the same amount of line left out) instead of stripping in line while nymphing should mean less ice on the guides. High sticking a fixed amount line might help too.

Disclaimer: I said "less" not "none".
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

5. Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
    how do you guys keep your lines from freezing like a popscicle?
    Mostly I complain and moan then eventually bring my rod in and loosen the ice...Like I said in another post, anyone wanting to invent a rod with headed guides I will be your first customer..
    Christopher

6. Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

they should make a fly line with anti ice coating on it.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

George,
    I would think that is one of the on-going issues most fly line companies have been trying to solve, perhaps not on the top of the list for innovations, but there nonetheless.
    They have come a long ways in reducing cold weather memory in fly lines, and line slickness, so hopefully they will resolve the issue in my lifetime.

8. Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

so since there isn't nothing ya can do about it then if anyone fishes icy weather for steelhead whats the proper leader length and leader recipe if ya got it. seems the leaders have to be way longer than usualy so the fly line is off the water and ya don't got to strip anything in so nothing freezes. any ideas? in the john nagy book it tells ya a recipe but I have to get that from the library again. any help?
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

9. Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

So seriously, short of "ice fishing", is there a temp below which casting is just not practical?

10. Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

I use PAM or some other kind of food spray on my spinning gear. It works very well
    Steven Wright: "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast