Sept Id and Wy trip

mikel

Reaction score
My buddy, Bill and I spent about 10 days fishing and exploring the SF Snake, Henry's Fork, Madison and the rivers inside the W Yellowstone entrance to the park. We drifted with guides 2 days on the SF and 2 on the Madison, below Hegben. Originally our trip was scheduled for August, but we pushed it back a month, hoping the waters would cool a bit. This summer in particular, I think that was a good decision...

At Swan Valley we stayed at the Sleepy J Cabins and I recommend them highly. Rates are reasonable and the cabins are immaculate. The place is run by a brother/sister and they are very pleasant and helpful... Swan Valley, Idaho, Lodging on the Snake River

We fished the SF with a guide friend of mine from Chico (Darrin Deel) and he put us on fish consistently thru the day, mostly browns. The fish were healthy and hot, putting a nice bend in our 5 wts.

We moved on to the Madison after fishing the Henry's Fork...

Bill hooked up...

I landed MANY very nice fish....but one stood out and you'll see it in the latest newsletter from the guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in W Yellowstone. :)

I think this is the shot they put in the newsletter...

It was mostly hopper/dropper on both big rivers, although we nymphed deeper water with indicators and fished single and double dries as well...

We also fished Quake Lake one morning, but it was slow...too bad, as the fish average about 18" in there. I did move 1 with a hopper...beautiful, spooky place...with a mating pair of baldies and a big juvenile hanging out around their nest.

We did a lot of driving, just seeing sights like upper and lower Mesa Falls on the HF, Fishing Bridge, Grand Cyn of the Yellowstone, etc. I hadn't been to the park since about 1983.

Loved every minute...-Mike

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike: Great report and photos! Congrats on the awesome fish. I have to agree that the Sleepy J cabins is a hidden jewel. I stayed there for two nights a couple weeks ago. Fysh is the person that turned me on to that place.

Larry

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Sounds like a great trip. I am planning on heading to Yellowstone in the next two weeks. Your pics and story has me more excited. The guys at Blue Ribbon are some of the best guys out there. Thanks for sharing.