Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default GSMP Trip Report - Oct 2012

I just returned from a week-end family camping trip to the Smokies. The mountains are my favorite way to fly fish since I enjoy the fun of combining the two things I really love (hiking to remote streams & experiencing all the solitude nature has to offer). It seems that every-time I do these trips, my senses are fully awake & I notice things that I would readily gloss over back on the heavily pressured waters near home. I would rather catch a 8in wild Rainbow or Brookie than a 16in stocker brown (available on my local tailwater stream), because the technical challenges I have to overcome in casting and presentation on a tight stream make the prize so much more rewarding.

The weather was pretty cold and wet, but the leaves were changing color and the fish were agreeable. I saw more anglers during this trip than in all my prior ones so Oct must be a pretty popular month there. Despite this, just a few miles of hiking allows you to be alone on the water.

I mainly hooked all rainbows, with a couple of small browns. I fished a dry-dropper system and had 50% hit the dry and the other go after the beadhead dropper.

I will post a few more pictures when I finish processing the raw images from my SLR.
    Hope you enjoyed the short summary

Default Re: GSMP Trip Report - Oct 2012

Such beautiful pictures !! The fisrt one is awesome. It seems you had good trip. Bravo !

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Hard to beat the mtns in the fall. Congrats to the great looking trout!
    Larry

5. Default Re: GSMP Trip Report - Oct 2012

I am getting ready to take my first fishing trip to the Smokies in just a few weeks. I have camped and hiked all over the park but never fished it. I am very excited and hope to come up with some beautiful pictures like yours. Thanks for the report.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefdg View Post
    I am getting ready to take my first fishing trip to the Smokies in just a few weeks. I have camped and hiked all over the park but never fished it. I am very excited and hope to come up with some beautiful pictures like yours. Thanks for the report.
    I did the same thing back in the 70's I hiked all over the park but at the time wasn't into fly fishing, now I think back to all the great fly fishing I missed out on.
    Larry

Great report ,I'm currently sitting in my office looking out a blue sky and changing leaves that tell me fish are on the feed.Nice pictures .
    SHANNON

Very nice! I would love to see the Smokies one of these days.
    I fish, therefore, I drink...