Bad news from Oak...

ben664

Reaction score
From a famous steelhead Alley forum....

So pissed off. For those who fish the Oak Orchard, the season is OVER. Water was SHUT OFF this morning and will be off till Sunday earliest. Dead fingerlings, gobys, steelies, Browns, and even some cohos. DEC will be bombarded by me until Brookfield power company or some one is held responsible. It's a NYS law to keep the flow at a minimum.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Is this true? If so this is quite distressing news for the area.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Latest news is some flow has been restored and rumors of fish kill have potentially been exaggerated. Will keep everyone updated as I know more. I'd check it myself if I didn't have to work today.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi AJ !

I just read it from here (since the problem seems solved, I remover the link to another forum)

Also here in France, we have very low water for november

Last edited by a moderator:

theboz

Reaction score
Ben
Just got a response from a friend who runs a guide service between Oak Orchard and the Salmon River. He fished there Monday and the water was low but he said that's normal with the lack of rain this season . His clients landed 5 big browns so how bad could it be! He's going up again early this week and will give me a report.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Wow! I sure hope they aren't doing something stupid (the power company). The Oak is a world class fishery, and it should be protected.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Since it looks like the creek is still alive and 'theboz' can get the inside story I removed the link to the other forum. I left it on the thread until we got some insight into the problem. I took a look at the forum it went to and am still greatful for this one :)

Ard