Parasol Emerger

rccola712

Reaction score
Have any of you fished types of Parasol Emergers? I just discovered them and look like fun to fish. Quite unique to say the least. From what I understand the 'parachute' acts as indicator for the nymph. Do you fish a double dropper system behind the emerger or fish the emerger behind another fly?

Also does the distance between your fly and the 'parachute' make a difference or do they all fish the same? Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back on out the river and seeing what they can do!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I was introduced to the parasol emerger pattern by Kelly (kglissmeyer) who uses them while fishing on his No Tellum Spring Creek where the fish are super selective. The water is super clear with very little current so the fish have a good look at your presentation. His method is to use the parasol emerger as an indicator in a dry/dropper setup with some sort of nymph pattern trailing. I'm not sure if he uses two droppers or not, I'm thinking he only uses one but could be wrong. If he doesn't see your post, send him a PM as he fishes this setup way more than I have.
Here is the link to how he ties the parasol emerger: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...12259-tying-schollmeyers-parasol-emerger.html

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
How do they cast? It seems they would foul alot to me but I've never tried one.
WT: I've never had an issue with casting them, they are pretty small and light, (they aren't like tcasting with a thingamabobber or similiar indicator) but then the only time I use them is on Kelly's Spring Creek. The parasol emerger with a dropper casts more like a dry/dropper rig. That Spring Creek has weeds on the edges which requires some fairly long casts.

Larry

silver creek

Reaction score
I've never used these patterns but I think they would be ideal for head and shoulder risers that are taking nymphs UNDER the film rather than in the film.

I do have an issue with naming them "emergers" which means to me that the actual process of the breaking through the nymphal shell has begun. These flies are usually fished during emergence, but they seem to me to be "suspender" nymphal patterns using the parasol to suspend the flies rather than the classic greased leader method that is used.

The greased leader is a better option in most instances rather than the parasol, and I think that is why the parasol has remained a "niche" pattern where a more visible leader is detrimental.

The greased leader was written about by Gary Borger in his classic book Nymphing, and is explained by Jason Borger in the link below. The advantage over the parasol is that you can vary the depth of the fly without changing the fly, and the fly lands more gently.

"A greased leader certainly does allow you to suspend flies at pre-determined depths"

http://fishfliesandwater.com/gear-rigging/greased-leader-tactic/

The disadvantage of the greased leader is that the leader itself is more visible. So if I were to use the parasol "emerger", I would use the sunken leader technique to remove the impression of the leader on the meniscus. Rub some Snake River Mud on the leader to "degrease" it.

I wrote about the need for degreasing leaders with picky trout earlier. Go down to the middle of the page below.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/174661-light-tippet-not-2.html

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Hey all! Although the Parasol Emerger is not my own pattern, it is one I use more often than not in a variety of situations. Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer developed this version of the pattern know as the "Parasol Emerger", but there have been other similar flies developed by other fly tiers. I use the Parasol Emerger as an indicator fly and not specifically for enticing fish, although I often catch fish on the PE.

I started using the PE as an indicator fly when fishing to picky brown trout on the Green River in Utah, then tested the method on the Provo and finally was able to perfect the method on my favorite spring creek here in southeast Idaho.

For the spring creek setting (see my article in Flyfishing & Tying Journal, Winter 2011 issue on "Spring Creek Strategies", where I describe the method and highlight some of the flies I use) I typically use the PE as a dry indicator trailed by a bead-head nymph of whatever mayfly species is available in the water, and then I trail off of that another favorite food source for the fish, usually a scud.

As far as casting and/or fouling on the cast - no problems. Once you get used to fishing this setup it casts like a dry fly rig. The parasol, when doused with some sort of floatant will usually float for hours and suspend a two-nymph rig without problem.

For fishing nymph rigs I will usually start with a parasol fly in a pattern of what may be hatching that day on the water I'm fishing (my favorite though is just a generic Pheasant-tail nymph pattern tied with a parasol). Next, I drop a piece of tippet to my bead-head fly - the length of this piece of tippet is determined by the depth of the water from the surface to where the fish are holding. The bead-head nymph is always used as the first fly under the parasol fly in order to provide a small amount of weight to get the two nymphs down to the fishes holding level in the water column. Last, I drop a 12 to 18-inch dropper off of the bend of the bead-head nymph to my final fly which is usually a scud or something that is a popular food item in the water I am fishing.

Also, during active emergences I like to trail one or two dry emerger patterns behind the PE. Most emerger patterns are quite diminutive and very difficult to see in the film, but trailed behind a PE you can usually track where they are and see rises to them as the trout sip them from the surface.

Here is the link to my tutorial on tying the Parasol Emerger: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...12259-tying-schollmeyers-parasol-emerger.html

And here are some pics of some of the parasol flies I use and what flies I trail behind them:

Pheasant-tail:

PMD:

Generic Midge:

One of my favorite bead-head dropper flies - Improved Shop Vac:

My first choice in any water containing mayflies - Bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail, size 14:

And here is my favorite second dropper pattern I like to use in the spring creek - KG's Spring Creek Scud, amber (I also use an olive version) Both of these are tied in sizes 14 and 12.

As you can see there are a variety of uses for the Parasol Emerger, I just capitalized on this one to be more successful in fishing my favorite spring creek.

Hope this answered your questions. If not, drop me a line or ask right here through your post. I'm not the expert in parasol flies, but I think I have come up with a pretty good method for anglers to increase their odds at catching finicky trout in challenging waters such as spring creeks.

Hope you give this style of flies a good test run.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

thorsten

Reaction score
Wow - GREAT FLIES :eek: Respect and Congratulations to these great jobs :worthy::clap:

rccola712

Reaction score
Kelly, do you tie most of your patterns with a parasol? ie 3/4 ptn w/ parasol and 3/4 without, grhe, ect, ect or just certain paterns?

Also do you find you can fish this pattern year round, or just when something is emerging? I've got a few tied up to try but I'd also hate to waste my time fishing just below the surface when trout are holding a few feet deep.

Thanks, and your step by step helped tremendously! I can't wait to get back out on the river!

lthrnk03

Reaction score
This is pretty interesting that this thread was started this week. Earlier in the week my dad and I were having a discussion about the Parasol Emerger. He had tied a bunch of them up and really fell in love with the pattern. Being a novice, I wasn't familiar with the pattern. He sent me a couple links on the pattern, which just happened to be from Kelly(kglissmeyer).

jaybo41

Reaction score
Kelly your flies are amazing! I really like the looks of the Shop Vac, I haven't tried those. Your rendition of the Flashback PT is one that I just have to try. I really like the looks of the chartreuse wraps of wire. I've done mine mostly with traditional copper or on occasion red. It's incredible how such a subtle tweak can make a dramatic change in appearance of the fly.

Do you also tie those PT's using olive or black or do you stick with the natural PT?

Thanks for the post.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Kelly, do you tie most of your patterns with a parasol? ie 3/4 ptn w/ parasol and 3/4 without, grhe, ect, ect or just certain paterns?

Also do you find you can fish this pattern year round, or just when something is emerging? I've got a few tied up to try but I'd also hate to waste my time fishing just below the surface when trout are holding a few feet deep.

Thanks, and your step by step helped tremendously! I can't wait to get back out on the river!
rccola, thanks for the interest. I hate to hijack this thread, but since it was a question about parasols, perhaps I'll be forgiven.

I tie parasols in a variety of patterns. As far as a percentage that is not a question I can answer. I tie a lot and most of what I tie is for what I fish for and where I fish. I fish mainly to trout in local rivers, smaller streams, spring creeks and stillwaters. When I tie parasols, they are usually for use with how I fish my favorite spring creek with the Parasol Emerger acting as a slow water indicator and not necessarily to catch fish with.

Your comment about not wanting to waste your time on the surface with a parasol fly when the fish are feeding deeper is exactly the situation I encountered on the spring creek which led to the use of the parasol as an indicator.

After discovering the spring not far from my home I started fishing it often. The more I fished it, the more its secrets began unfolding and I was able to catch more fish on a consistent basis. One of the biggest problems was that normally the fish were holding just above the weeds at the bottom of the spring with sporadic rises to the surface. A regular tight-line nymph rig would foul quickly in the weeds. An indicator rig with either a large buoyant dry fly or an indicator such as a Thingamabobber would spook the fish every time when it hit the surface of the normally flat and calm slow-moving water.

I had started using the parasol as an indicator while fishing Utah's Green River and Provo River. Although these are larger rivers I found spooky trout that would feed at leisure along the edges in calmer water. The parasol as an indicator fly would usually not spook these trout when landing upon the water and I was able to run an offering right in front of their noses without spooking them.

I figured the same reasoning could work on the spring and soon found out the theory was correct. This method is the same one I use today on the spring as well as countless other waters.

I have a favorite small stillwater I fish here in southeast Idaho and I use the parasol as a visual point for my tired eyes when fishing to "gulping" trout as the feed on the surface for various mayflies and caddis species found in the water. I trail an emerger imitation or a spinner mayfly imitation (when called for) behind the parasol. because the emergers or spinners are so difficult for my older eyes, the parasol gives me a visual point that I can see and track, knowing that my emerger or spinner imitation is close in the vicinity. The beauty of this method on stillwaters when trout are feeding is that they take the parasol imitation as often as they take the trailing fly.

As far as what patterns I tie below a parasol, this usually is tied to the time of year and what ever aquatic insect is hatching at the time I'm fishing the water. On my favorite spring creek I usually use a parasol tied in either a Pheasant-tail or PMD. On my favorite small stream that I fish in the fall, winter and spring, I tie the parasol in a midge or BWO as that is what is normally emerging on that water during those seasons. There are some places on the Henry's Fork that I will use a parasol in an emerging caddis.

I do fish parasols year 'round, and hopefully my explanation above tells you why its so effective. Again, I don't usually use the parasol as the fly of choice to catch fish, although they do this very effectively. By tying the parasols that I use in the patterns imitating emerging insects during the time I use them, the chances for catching and/or not spooking fish because its something they are used to seeing is increased.

Here are a couple of shots of fish caught on other waters besides the spring creek that fell for a suspended offering dropped under a Parasol Emerger:

Good luck with these. Hope I answered your questions.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Kelly your flies are amazing! I really like the looks of the Shop Vac, I haven't tried those. Your rendition of the Flashback PT is one that I just have to try. I really like the looks of the chartreuse wraps of wire. I've done mine mostly with traditional copper or on occasion red. It's incredible how such a subtle tweak can make a dramatic change in appearance of the fly.

Do you also tie those PT's using olive or black or do you stick with the natural PT?

Thanks for the post.
jaybo41, thanks for your question. After experimenting with several versions of the flashback bead-head Pheasant-tail nymph I settled on the one you see because the fish decided they liked it most on most of the waters that I fish. My fishing buddy, Buzz, tied on a copper bead-headed Pheasant-tail nymph for fishing our spring and we found the fish liked that version as an imitation of the PMD nymphs prevalent in the water, thus the experimentation. After several versions in different colors of pheasant tail, wire and beads, I settled on the one in the picture. I do vary between yellow-dyed pheasant tails and natural colored ones, with me and the fish leaning a little towards the yellow-dyed versions. I have tied them in red, with red wire and a variety of other wires and dyes but none have performed as well as the one pictured.

Here is the recipe:

KG's version of the bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph (look closely at the photo to see that the flashback goes in two parts from the tail to the bead on this fly):

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 14-16
Thread: 8/0 Olive/Dun
Bead: Copper 3/32
Tail: 5-6 Pheasant-tail fibers natural or yellow-dyed
Rib: Chartreuse wire - small
Abdomen: Pheasant-tail fibers
Flashback: UTC Mirage - opal, med
Thorax: Peacock
Wingcase: UTC Mirage - opal, large
Legs: Brown-mottled Hen feather

Also notice that the legs are not clumps tied on either side of the fly, rather a hen feather tied on top under the flashback with feathers divided to either side and bound down by the flashback material. I will try to start another thread to display the method I use for the legs. They look more natural as well as giving the fly a more finished look.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

jaybo41

Reaction score
rccola, thanks for the interest. I hate to hijack this thread, but since it was a question about parasols, perhaps I'll be forgiven.

I tie parasols in a variety of patterns. As far as a percentage that is not a question I can answer. I tie a lot and most of what I tie is for what I fish for and where I fish. I fish mainly to trout in local rivers, smaller streams, spring creeks and stillwaters. When I tie parasols, they are usually for use with how I fish my favorite spring creek with the Parasol Emerger acting as a slow water indicator and not necessarily to catch fish with.

Your comment about not wanting to waste your time on the surface with a parasol fly when the fish are feeding deeper is exactly the situation I encountered on the spring creek which led to the use of the parasol as an indicator.

After discovering the spring not far from my home I started fishing it often. The more I fished it, the more its secrets began unfolding and I was able to catch more fish on a consistent basis. One of the biggest problems was that normally the fish were holding just above the weeds at the bottom of the spring with sporadic rises to the surface. A regular tight-line nymph rig would foul quickly in the weeds. An indicator rig with either a large buoyant dry fly or an indicator such as a Thingamabobber would spook the fish every time when it hit the surface of the normally flat and calm slow-moving water.

I had started using the parasol as an indicator while fishing Utah's Green River and Provo River. Although these are larger rivers I found spooky trout that would feed at leisure along the edges in calmer water. The parasol as an indicator fly would usually not spook these trout when landing upon the water and I was able to run an offering right in front of their noses without spooking them.

I figured the same reasoning could work on the spring and soon found out the theory was correct. This method is the same one I use today on the spring as well as countless other waters.

I have a favorite small stillwater I fish here in southeast Idaho and I use the parasol as a visual point for my tired eyes when fishing to "gulping" trout as the feed on the surface for various mayflies and caddis species found in the water. I trail an emerger imitation or a spinner mayfly imitation (when called for) behind the parasol. because the emergers or spinners are so difficult for my older eyes, the parasol gives me a visual point that I can see and track, knowing that my emerger or spinner imitation is close in the vicinity. The beauty of this method on stillwaters when trout are feeding is that they take the parasol imitation as often as they take the trailing fly.

As far as what patterns I tie below a parasol, this usually is tied to the time of year and what ever aquatic insect is hatching at the time I'm fishing the water. On my favorite spring creek I usually use a parasol tied in either a Pheasant-tail or PMD. On my favorite small stream that I fish in the fall, winter and spring, I tie the parasol in a midge or BWO as that is what is normally emerging on that water during those seasons. There are some places on the Henry's Fork that I will use a parasol in an emerging caddis.

I do fish parasols year 'round, and hopefully my explanation above tells you why its so effective. Again, I don't usually use the parasol as the fly of choice to catch fish, although they do this very effectively. By tying the parasols that I use in the patterns imitating emerging insects during the time I use them, the chances for catching and/or not spooking fish because its something they are used to seeing is increased.

Here are a couple of shots of fish caught on other waters besides the spring creek that fell for a suspended offering dropped under a Parasol Emerger:

Good luck with these. Hope I answered your questions.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

jaybo41, thanks for your question. After experimenting with several versions of the flashback bead-head Pheasant-tail nymph I settled on the one you see because the fish decided they liked it most on most of the waters that I fish. My fishing buddy, Buzz, tied on a copper bead-headed Pheasant-tail nymph for fishing our spring and we found the fish liked that version as an imitation of the PMD nymphs prevalent in the water, thus the experimentation. After several versions in different colors of pheasant tail, wire and beads, I settled on the one in the picture. I do vary between yellow-dyed pheasant tails and natural colored ones, with me and the fish leaning a little towards the yellow-dyed versions. I have tied them in red, with red wire and a variety of other wires and dyes but none have performed as well as the one pictured.

Here is the recipe:

KG's version of the bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph (look closely at the photo to see that the flashback goes in two parts from the tail to the bead on this fly):

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 14-16
Thread: 8/0 Olive/Dun
Bead: Copper 3/32
Tail: 5-6 Pheasant-tail fibers natural or yellow-dyed
Rib: Chartreuse wire - small
Abdomen: Pheasant-tail fibers
Flashback: UTC Mirage - opal, med
Thorax: Peacock
Wingcase: UTC Mirage - opal, large
Legs: Brown-mottled Hen feather

Also notice that the legs are not clumps tied on either side of the fly, rather a hen feather tied on top under the flashback with feathers divided to either side and bound down by the flashback material. I will try to start another thread to display the method I use for the legs. They look more natural as well as giving the fly a more finished look.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Kelly, thanks much for the history of development and the recipe of your fly. I've added this one to my list of flies to tie. I'd love to see how you tie in the legs, I think I've got some ideas in mind but best to learn from the man.:D Really, really nice looking fly.

Thanks again,

jaybo