Just Another Outing in Southeast Idaho - Spring Creekin'

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
My son, his best buddy and I spent the day on our favorite spring creek Saturday and we had a blast. We christened the day "the 20-inch plus day" as we landed more than a dozen brown trout at or over twenty-inches. Most were caught using the parasol method trailing a bead-head Pheasant-tail nymph and an amber scud. The majority took the PT nymph with a fair amount taking the scud.

The weather was bitter cold and it snowed hard as we drove to our destination. About the time we started fishing the snow stopped, but it remained very, very cold for the remainder of the day, even when the sun made a showing. We made a killing and had a great time. This is only the second time I've fished this spring this late in December as the road is usually closed to motorized travel this late in the season. It will most surely be my last time to my beloved spring this year - but we went out with a bang!

Here are the pics:

It was a day to remember!

Best Fishes,

Kelly

lthrnk03

Reaction score
I really don't know how you stomach going out and fishing water like that, catching awesome browns! I know its got to be really tough. :worthy:

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. Now, for those of you who thought this was cold, take a look at the following pics from yesterday (just two days after we were there) when my son and another friend hit the same spring. They were the only persons on the road in and out. They had a pretty good day, but the temps were even more grueling than Saturday.

Now this is what cold-weather flyfishing looks like!

Man, what a difference two days makes:

Best Fishes,

Kelly

wtl

Reaction score
Its been really warm where I've been lately. Only problem is, there are no trout.

I'd gladly trade places to freeze my ass off. No doubt about it. Great looking water. First thing Id do is make a snow angel. Then I'd dive in.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Its been really warm where I've been lately. Only problem is, there are no trout.

I'd gladly trade places to freeze my ass off. No doubt about it. Great looking water. First thing Id do is make a snow angel. Then I'd dive in.
wtl, what many around here don't realize is that October thru April is the best season for trout where I live. Too many fair-weather anglers give it up when it gets cold. We love it! All of our favorite waters are open year 'round and there are no crowds. In fact, we rarely see other anglers wherever we go. In addition to no crowds, we usually catch our biggest and the most fish during the winter season.

Come on out, you're welcome anytime.

Kelly.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Beautiful fish and pictures! It looks like you were amply rewarded for braving the nasty weather.

Now if only the wind would quit for awhile so I can get out again........ (I am kind of a whimp!...shhhhh don't tell.)

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Beautiful fish and pictures! It looks like you were amply rewarded for braving the nasty weather.

Now if only the wind would quit for awhile so I can get out again........ (I am kind of a whimp!...shhhhh don't tell.)
Hey, spread the word. I'll be tying this Saturday at Portneuf Outfitters at 10:00 a.m. Hope you can be there.

Kelly.

wtl

Reaction score
wtl, what many around here don't realize is that October thru April is the best season for trout where I live. Too many fair-weather anglers give it up when it gets cold. We love it! All of our favorite waters are open year 'round and there are no crowds. In fact, we rarely see other anglers wherever we go. In addition to no crowds, we usually catch our biggest and the most fish during the winter season.

Come on out, you're welcome anytime.

Kelly.
Sounds great Kelly. I might actually be heading back to the northwest some time this summer. I fished the lochsa for a brief bit in august, nice country.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. Now, for those of you who thought this was cold, take a look at the following pics from yesterday (just two days after we were there) when my son and another friend hit the same spring. They were the only persons on the road in and out. They had a pretty good day, but the temps were even more grueling than Saturday.

Now this is what cold-weather flyfishing looks like!

Man, what a difference two days makes:

Best Fishes,

Kelly
Kelly: Now that looks COLD! I bet they worked hard all day trying to keep those guides clear of ice. Brrrrrrr!

Larry