SEA RUN BROOK TROUT (Anadromous)

JOCELIN

Reaction score
Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CAN
Hello everyone this is my first post and I want to say hello to all with this post

SEA RUN BROOK TROUT (Anadromous)

Here in Quebec North Shore region we are blessed with lots of rivers holding anadromous brook trout also known as sea run brookies.

I will start with the Kelt version of those brookies

The sea run kelts descend the rivers in mid to late April and in some cases up to mid May. Kelts are not present in every river it has to be a big deep river to hold sea run brook trout all winter. Most of all the sea run will leave the river and head out to the ocean in Late December. They leave the rivers to come feed on the available capelin and sand eels.

Notice the shape of these brook trout

Season to fish Kelts id from Late April to Late May

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

Members may ATTACH images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

There is a difference between attaching an image and linking to an image inside the body of the post.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If I have deleted any of your images... I'm sorry. However, for the optimal performance and overall look of the forum we must adhere to this policy.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

Members may ATTACH images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

There is a difference between attaching an image and linking to an image inside the body of the post.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If I have deleted any of your images... I'm sorry. However, for the optimal performance and overall look of the forum we must adhere to this policy.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Sea run brook trout

In late Mai to late June these same kelts will have got fatter and healthier with all the feeding done in the estuary. These fish are bright silver when fresh. After they enter the river in around 10 to 14 days they begin to lose their guanine built up from their trip in the ocean, their colorful colors start showing more and more, even the red and blue spot and olive vermiculations are visible now and to distinguish them from regular non anadromous sea run is practically impossible

Fishing Season Starts LAte May to Late August

Now here are some pictures of non sea run brook trout.

If you have any question regarding sea run brook trout like flies and rivers to fish for them feel free to ask

Jocelin

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi JOCELIN,

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to your post. It looks like you live in a dandy place for fly fishing. Thanks for the great pictures.

Frank

todd r

Reaction score
WOW, nice brook. Every once and a while I may get a brook here in South Carolina about 6 or 7 inches long. They are few and far between. I wonder if they are the same fish? I have always herd them called brook or naitive, I never knew they could get that big. Surely that isn,t the same fish!!!!

Attachments

MrEsox

Reaction score
Very nice fish congrats. This is the first time I've actually been able to hear some info and pics on ocean run Brooks. I've seen Steels and Browns but this is really a nice treat. :)

Fisherik

Reaction score
Hey there,
Nice Fish! I was wondering what the licensing regulations were for fishing in quebec. I live in Vermont and have looked into fishing in the Gaspe region but it seems that you need to enter a lottery that is held in nov. to receive a license. Are there ways around that? Which fisheries do you recommend?

JOCELIN

Reaction score
Hey there,
Nice Fish! I was wondering what the licensing regulations were for fishing in quebec. I live in Vermont and have looked into fishing in the Gaspe region but it seems that you need to enter a lottery that is held in nov. to receive a license. Are there ways around that? Which fisheries do you recommend?
Fishrick

The only spots in Quebec for sea run brook trout is the North Shore of the saint laurence from Tadusac all the way east as the road will take you, lots of public water no draws, no rotations, no crowds, no tourist traps and of course lots of sea run trout waters with some rivers 4000 strong. Atlantic salmon are also present in those rivers.

In gaspe things are different lots of water also but the sea run fishing is not as important it more Atlantic salmon based with draws and in some rivers you are assigned one pool for the day if there is no fish your stuck with that pool. Alot more tourist in Gaspe. Dont get me wrong Gaspe is a great location for salmonbut if your looking for pristine wild rivers the nortyh shore is for you.

You simply need a non resident angling license and of you go, No guides required.

If you need more imfo give me a shout

Jocelin

mikesalmon

Reaction score
Nice Trout. Great Pics.

I am in Nova Scotia and we have some nice Brookies as well but normally most of them seem to be in the 8 to 11" size range. With some odd larger ones being caught.

What would you say would be your favorite 6 flies for catching these beautiful fish?

Tight Lines, Mike

JOCELIN

Reaction score
Nice Trout. Great Pics.

I am in Nova Scotia and we have some nice Brookies as well but normally most of them seem to be in the 8 to 11" size range. With some odd larger ones being caught.

What would you say would be your favorite 6 flies for catching these beautiful fish?

Tight Lines, Mike
Humm 6 best flies

Its a good question but not specific enough

Here is my answer

Kelt season in the saltwater or brackish water Late April to late May

Early river season (Late May to Late June)

For later in the season (Late June to Late August)

Jocelin

you can find all these pattern (step by step) on this page
STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS FLIES

mikesalmon

Reaction score
Once again great images and a great link for patterns.

I think I will have to try a couple of these on the Margaree River and see if I can't catch some good size speckles.

Season Starts Soon!! Can't Wait!

Thanks, Tight Lines, Mike