Any 10wt suggestions for a poor caster?

tpcollins

Reaction score
I spent all summer trying to cast a highly regarded 10wt as suggested on the StripersOnline forum but my casting is too poor to move that amount of line on a fast action rod. I could have done as good casting a flag pole.

Is there a 9wt/10wt that's in the medium-fast range where I can let the rod help me cast these lines? I was eyeing a used Thomas & Thomas Horizon II 9' 9wt for fishing a swift current river for salmon. Thanks.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
From past experience the T & T rods are pretty 'stiff' so you may well be back at square one. A 9 or 10 wt rod (at 10 foot or over) will give your shoulder a good work out. Given what's in your initial post I'd suggest you drop back to a 8wt. You can handle a hell of a big fish on one of those.

If your target fish is really BIG (mid teens and up) there a 9wt would be more in order ...... just my random .02 cents.;)

tpcollins

Reaction score
It was a Colton Tradewinds 10wt, I was casting a 10wt floating line, and two different Rio's - and Outbound short and a ghost sink tip. It didn't seem like even these heavier heads were loading the rod and I was having trouble keeping it in the air.

I have a GLX 3wt and a Sage SP 5wt that I have no issues with but with this 10wt, I was having to work a lot more than I wanted to. I would think a bit slower action rod would serve me a bit better.

The Thomas & Thomas Horizon II 9wt I was looking at is listed as a mediun-fadt action, I thought it might work better for me. Thanks.

delopez

Reaction score
Is there a 9wt/10wt that's in the medium-fast range where I can let the rod help me cast these lines?
Winston BIIX or BIIIX. They say "fast," but they really aren't. Diver Dan could back this up. He has a Winston BIIX. :D

Orvis Access Mid-flex is another good one, if you're looking for something in the cheaper range. These are just suggestions. You'll want to get out and cast them, of course.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

It was a Colton Tradewinds 10wt, I was casting a 10wt floating line, and two different Rio's - and Outbound short and a ghost sink tip.
Even a Rio Outbound Short on my Flying Pig 8wt loaded great and shot a lot of line. Is that Colton a broomstick? It sounds like it has an extremely hight ERN, almost like it's another weight or two up... and according to this site, the ERN could be 13.41! Bought a 10wt with an 13.41 ERN !

This would explain the hard time you're having with it.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Bought a 10wt with an 13.41 ERN ![/url]

This would explain the hard time you're having with it.
That was MY post on rod building.org a year ago! I've got as much in my 3 different 10wt lines than I do in the Colton 10wt. I would think if the line properly loads the rod, even a hillbilly like me ought to be able to keep the line in the air and cast it good enough. I just need to find what rod that is . . .

delopez

Reaction score
Nice. I should have read ahead a bit. I'm at work and trying to do some quick research.

Maybe it would be worth trying an 11 or 12 weight Outbound on there? I love that line because it allows me to lift the fly out of the water to one backcast, single haul, and I'm out 70ish feet again. However, the rio pike line isn't much different. I can do the same with it. :)

I should have read on a bit. My apologies. :D

I forget to toss in the BVK 10wt, also. It's a cheaper solution and it loaded nice with 10wt Titan Taper that I had on it.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Just out of curiosity, have you tried something longer? Say a 40 - 60ft head? I've noticed that casting a bit longer head has allowed some of my previous rods to feel like they're loading better... These are just suggestions for thought. I'm just trying to help the best I can. But, I don't know the rod, so I can only go off of the rods that I've owned and/or casted.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That 13.41 ERN is I'm sure why you are having trouble. This kind of ERN is meant to have a lot of carry (large amount of line in the air) to load the rod. A line that's a 10 wt. line and a short head are going to give you serious trouble. To make the rod you have work you need a really long belly line and carry a lot before shooting. You need high line speed and a longer stroke. A little 10/2 won't cut it. If you tried a much heavier line you would like that rod more. A 13 wt. Tarpon line or something. Unless you are capable of getting a ton of line in the air, you are going to have trouble with that rod and a 10 wt. line.

One last suggestion is to work on your casting. You will not be sorry for the time you invest in improving your cast.

delopez

Reaction score
I used to have that rod. It's a pretty deep flexing rod. I wish that I wouldn't have sold it. However, I now have an Access 8wt. :)

tpcollins

Reaction score
Well, I bought a Sage Xi3 9' 10wt blank on ebay last night - I'll take casting lessons this summer if needed.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Well, I bought a Sage Xi3 9' 10wt blank on ebay last night - I'll take casting lessons this summer if needed.
Having the recent pleasure of casting one of these for an entire day on the flats of florida, I have only one suggestion for this rod....

10wt TITAN TAPER!!!

90' casts with 2 false casts were practically effortless with that line. Absolutely stellar combo

tpcollins

Reaction score
Well I sort of went in a different direction than I was anticipating. As stated I have more into the (3) 10wt fly lines than the Colton 10wt rod so I wound up getting a good deal on a Sage Xi3 10wt blank off of fleabay so we'll see if I can cast this a bit better once it's built.

delopez

Reaction score
It's a nice rod. I have casted this rod before. You should have no problem loading up and sending the line flying out there! Enjoy!

axle27

Reaction score
I've had an older Colton 10wt and currently have a St. Croix Avid. Surprisingly, I felt that the Colton was slower than the Avid. Now, it was an older Colton so that may make the difference.

The Avid is still rather slow enough and not too demanding. I would put in some practice, tho. Start with something manageable, like a 5wt and work up. IMO, the 10 is not something you want to be out all day slinging around like it was a 4wt. Again, my opinion, but if you are saltwater fishing, you usually doing sight fishing, not "prospecting". So you need to learn to get the fly to where you want it on a single cast.

mcphoto

Reaction score
Looks like you got it figured out...but, FWIW, the Redington Predator is a sweeeeeet stick in the $250 price range. It's a broomstick, and might not be the best permit rod, but you can't beat it for the heavy lifting. 10wt Titan Taper rocks on it.

zug buggin

Reaction score
Fast actions can be tough, I had a similar problem with a TFO TiCrX which is very fast action. I don't mean for this to sound like I'm putting you down but Why not take some casting lessons and fix the problem?