Bronze trout

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me out here. I'm aware of different kinds of trout. Wasn't too long ago that I had only heard of the three (browns, brookies and rainbow).

While perusing some bamboo rod sites, I came across mention of an allusive and hard to catch "bronze trout" that evidently is rare but catchable in Maine.

Here is a photo of it. Am I crazy or does this thing look like a chubb? Is the name "bronze trout" a code name for "chubb/fall fish"?

plecain

Reaction score
That is an enourmous species of Chub. :surprise: We have a few species here but none of them ever get that big, at least not that I have ever seen.
They get big here in NH, too.

I've caught a few that really whacked the fly. Thought I had a good trout.

rockriver

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me out here. I'm aware of different kinds of trout. Wasn't too long ago that I had only heard of the three (browns, brookies and rainbow).

While perusing some bamboo rod sites, I came across mention of an allusive and hard to catch "bronze trout" that evidently is rare but catchable in Maine.

Here is a photo of it. Am I crazy or does this thing look like a chubb? Is the name "bronze trout" a code name for "chubb/fall fish"?

It sure looks like a huge chubb.

theboz

Reaction score
It's a fallfish.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Rivers here are loaded with them up to two pounds!

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

And they are in the minnow family.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm with theboz. That's a fall fish and they get big. I see em in my local river all the time to 12-14 inches.
They love dry flies but they're not worth the slime.

theboz

Reaction score
I'm with theboz. That's a fall fish and they get big. I see em in my local river all the time to 12-14 inches.
They love dry flies but they're not worth the slime.
Not worth the slime is so true! Haha! And they always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! Last one I caught bog smallies busting all around see a rise ,all pumped up ,cast bam fallfish what a let down . But that's fishing and better then nothing I guess.
Oh and the love the same yellow poppers Delaware River Smallmouths love!
Dang big minnows!

baseman1

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a waste of time. I cut my teeth fishing for those as a child. I caught some rather large ones this past summer when salmon fishing behind the house. They were going nuts on the green machines I was flinging. The ones I was catching had a descent fight to them.