8WT Rod Suggestion

derelict

Reaction score
Hey,

Im looking for an 8 weight that can serve as a bass warmwater rod and can serve as a salmon or steelhead rod. Im trying to decide between a single hand or a switch. The problem is, I might be in single hand a good amount of time, not using the two hand option, so the weight penalty is not that attractive. If I will be mostly bass fishing and sometimes trout (when I let my wife use my 5 weight) with the 8 weight, is the heavier weight switch rod worth it? I can pick up, and have much more variety of choice in single hand 8 than in switch.

Hope this makes sense.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Spey or switch rods can be a blast, but it is a specialty. You will use a single hander a lot more. If the advice you're looking for is just switch or single hand, I'd say single hand for the greater versatility. Are you looking for recommendations about brands/models too? Price range?

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I don't think bass and salmon/steelhead rods go together.

For bass fishing I like a stiff rod so I can set the hook through the bass's tough jaw. I believe that for salmon/steehead fishing you'll want a rod with a softer tip.

If you're going to buy a spey rod, make sure you read up on the different kinds of lines before you decide on one. (Each kind of spey line is different from the others.)

Randy

mdogs444

Reaction score
I use an 8wt Scott A3 9'6" single hand for steelhead in NE Ohio. Our rivers here aren't really wide enough to support a full spey rod. But I do have an 11'6" switch rod that I have a blast with. I find the Scott more useful for everyday fishing though.

klunker

Reaction score
I've used one 8wt for both steelhead and smallmouth. Sage 9ft Flight with a clouser line. It has worked well for both species. I have Indicator fished, swung flies, casted poppers and larger streamers with this one rod. No problem, you don't need a rod for steelhead and a rod for bass.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go with a longer rod, 9 1/2 or 10ft. I say this because it would make the mending easier for indicator fishing.

If you tell us how you'll fish and where for steelhead then maybe that might make a difference. I fish the Tribs for steelhead, some small streams to med. sized rivers and I fish large rivers for large smallies. If your use is similar to mine then my experience is all the more relevant to you.

mrfzx

Reaction score
I have 8wt's. by TFO (BVK, TiCrX, and Professional series), and Orvis (Helios tip flex) all are in the 9ft, 4 piece configuration. The Orvis is great, can't say a single bad word about it. The BVK is really nice too. I actually find the BVK in my hand more often because it is a bit easier to load and cast on smaller waters, IMHO. My switch rod is a 6wt...why? Because the extra length by necessity has the butt strength of the 8wt. If I were to get the 8wt switch rod, it would behave as a 9 or 10wt. Just food for thought.....

jborn

Reaction score
I recently received an Echo Edge 8wt saltwater rod as a present, more or less to my self. Although it has not seen water it really casts on grass. I was very pleased at the accuracy and distance that I achieved with little effort. For an relatively inexpensive rod I think this was a buy.

gt05254

Reaction score
If you can find one (use a "saved search" on ebay), a 9' or 9'6 (my preference) Sage RPL+ 8wt will knock your socks off for any fishing you do that requires an 8wt. They are cannons but not broomsticks. Many of us figure Sage really goofed up when they discontinued that line. I have 3 of them, all bought as essentially un-used...most expensive was $275.

I have landed smallmouth, largemouth, pike, landlocked salmon and atlantic salmon to 20lbs. with mine.

Gary

SkipS

Reaction score
An 8wt rod is an 8wt rod.Just pick one that matches your casting style and use it for anything you want.I would choose a SH rod as the best all around choice.Im a little older so I grew up before we had specie specific rods and lines.You bought a rod and just went fishing.

bigshayne

Reaction score
I think TFO makes a rod that is a single hander and then you can switch the butt section and create a switch rod. The one I have seen is a seven wt. TiCR X plus a conversion kit. This might be the answer to both bass and steel.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts here.

In addition to a two handed rod, you may also need to add a reel to balance it and to hold the extra line that would go on it so it might be more of an expense than you have considered. Perhaps you have a larger reel or perhaps you've already given this consideration. Just putting that out there.

The other thing is, have you cast a two hander before? If not, I might suggest doing so before making that commitment. Personally, I find it fun, but others seem to prefer single handed rods. Also, you can do many of the casts with a single hander that you would do with a two hander if you have the right line on it.

Can you tell us a general locale of where you're fishing and what type of body of water--rivers/streams or lakes/ponds? What size flies you typically throw for each species? Do you intend to use this more for bass or steelhead/salmon?

I own a switch rod and have cast it with two hands as well as single hand. It is on the light side as is the reel paired with it and I certainly prefer casting my single hand rod if I'm nymphing for steelhead because it is much lighter. The only distinct advantage of my switch for nymphing is that it's an extra foot longer AND I can cover more water with it. There are probably just a few spots on the streams I fish where covering more water really comes into play. I can cover 90% of that water with my single hand rod. The switch is just something different to play with and fun for me. I might err on the side of caution here and recommend a single hander to cover your bases FIRST. Then add a switch--then again the answers to the questions I've asked might cause me to rethink this recommendation.

derelict

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I don't think bass and salmon/steelhead rods go together.
They probably dont but Im interested in something that can reach out and touch more fish. I live in Va and my Sage 5wt gets most of the work on streams and thin water. When the temp goes up, I will still be looking at some trout streams but will the easier stuff to access will be large and smallmouth, stripers, musky and then a trip to Newfoundland for Salmon. My sister lives in Colorado so I would like to use that as a reason to go to some surrounding areas and chase steelheads.

I am looking for something that can be versatile enough to handle anything from large mouth to salmon and steelhead. Should I just stick with a single hand then? I cannot justify a dedicated two hand spey rod because I wont be able to chase salmon and steelhead nearly enough. This is why a switch rod appeals to me. Something that can WF floating line with a fly and then throw big streamers with heavier line (without killing my shoulder hence, a two hand rod).

What do you think?

sandfly

Reaction score
I love my Orvis Clearwater 9wt and can only imagine an 8 wt would be just as nice. I use my 7wt noname rod for smallies as it is shorter and easier to set the hook on them.
they had a clear water 8wt. that was a broom handle for the surf, could cast a country mile with it. i got one when I worked for Orvis

jaybo41

Reaction score
The St. Aidan will make a fine switch reel! I have a St. John on mine but have always admired the St. Aidans. If you want the versatility of casting comfortably single hand as well as two hand, you will want a light rod if you are going this route. If not, then a single hand might be a better option.

Not sure what your budget is, but man those new Sage One rods are light. I am fishing a Z Axis, which you might find on closeout if you look around. Also light rods, though the One is lighter so I hear.

Honestly, I'd think I'd lean in the direction that the greatest versatility in your case would be a single hand rod. The only thing that makes me hesitate on that end is that you're looking for something that would be easier on the shoulder--which casting a two hander can be, assuming you are two handing it. It can be a real chore to cast single hand all day though.

Can you get to a fly shop and cast one to see what you think? If so, try it single hand and two hand.

derelict

Reaction score
I picked up the St. Aidan as an NOS (new old stock) reel. Its probably from the 70s and never been used. Came with a spare spool as well. The thing with my shoulder is this. I broke my collar bone in three pieces, had it put back together and then could not use my right arm for about 6 months. Shoulder locked up so now, I do not have full range of motion anymore and hours of constant movement, like casting, kill me. I want the benefits of a longer rod with a heavier line but I am weary of the weight penalty. A long, heavy switch rod in one hand arrangement will be too much for me in short time.

Maybe I should go two handed and not worry about a switch rod at all...

coug

Reaction score
I was reading through this thread for the first time and Jaybo hit my first thought about experience with two handed casting. There is a learning curve and also different line types that can affect how you cast.

I suggest making the trip to a fly shop and trying them out. I had a Winston I really enjoyed and I cast a buddies older 7wt Winston and really liked it, so I bought a 8wt BIIx without trying it out first. Turns out we were not a good match and I plan to sell it. So just go try a few out and see what works for you.

derelict

Reaction score
So, I have done some reading and a little more research and have decided that I am going to continue to look for a single hand 8 weight with a good fighting butt. It needs to be light in weight though because of my shoulder. Any suggestions?

gt05254

Reaction score
LOL, I already gave you one. suggestion, that is. I think there are more than a couple others as well.
Gary