Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

ben664

Reaction score
Hi !

When you guys are tying some sucker spawn for steelheading in Great lakes trib, what material are u using ? Glo bug yarn or angora rabbit yarn ? I think that the "official" material is angora, but I saw some flies made with Glo bug yarn, and looks very good once wet.

Now I've tied like 50 sucker spawn with glo bug yarn from white to orange, to chartreuse, blue, pink, ect...

Is a material is better than an other ?

Thanks

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Hi !

When you guys are tying some sucker spawn for steelheading in Great lakes trib, what material are u using ? Glo bug yarn or angora rabbit yarn ? I think that the "official" material is angora, but I saw some flies made with Glo bug yarn, and looks very good once wet.

Is a material is better than an other ?

Thanks
I used estaz in pink and chartreuse as well as angora yarn in pink and salmon. Hope that helps.

-Ian

jaybo41

Reaction score
Angora is a staple but I also tie with Glo Bug's Micro Yarn. It's smaller in diameter than standard Glo Bug's Yarn and in my opinion easier to work with when using to tie Sucker Spawn.

I like Glo Bug yarn for Blood Dots and scrambled eggs and McFly Foam for Glo Bug.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi Silver,

I have some of these Otter's eggs, in 8 and 6 mm, chartreuse, apricot, buff and blue. I'm also looking for reviews of these flies. Very few reviews on the net...better with low and clear water ?

silver creek

Reaction score
Gary has fishing reports from this past fall on his blog. Just search on his blog with "otter egg".

I tied up some "Gorman egg" patterns for a friend and he said they worked really well on steelhead. We traded home made beer for flies but I haven't gotten my beer yet so maybe my flies did not work.:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thlzYtbiiSg]Excellent Steelhead Fly GORMAN BEAD HEAD EGG (www.gormanflyfishing.com) - YouTube[/ame]

jaybo41

Reaction score
I haven't fished or tied the Otter Eggs, but I do have some. I've heard that if you keep different colored eggs together in a box, they can bleed together. That makes me wonder if they could bleed onto other flies. Maybe that's been corrected with newer versions of the product?

I've had and fished Moe eggs and clear singles. I tied the singles with the colored glue sticks, bead underneath. I never did all that well with them, but those natural looking flies are ones to fish for low and clear water.

The Blood Dot is a staple of mine and if tied sparse gives off the translucency that you'd expect in an egg. I fish them during any water conditions, the natural colors are the go to's for low/clear. I also started to tie some of my Sucker Spawns and Scrambled Eggs with beads to help get them down in the zone.

ben664

Reaction score
Ok I will have a look at Gary's blog.

Here some of my flies with otter's egg (sorry for pict quality)

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

I haven't fished or tied the Otter Eggs, but I do have some. I've heard that if you keep different colored eggs together in a box, they can bleed together. That makes me wonder if they could bleed onto other flies. Maybe that's been corrected with newer versions of the product?
Hi Jaybo ! True, when I recieve my first order of Otter's egg, on the "how to" guide, it say that you don't have to mix colors. Using this type of box, the problem is solved

Last edited:

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
The original material for sucker spawn was angora yarn. I tye some with micro egg yarn, but my favorite item to tye them with is diamond braid. I tye them with chartreuse, pink, blue, and my favorite shrimp pink which looks peach colored to me. It has a very nice sparkle to it.

Dan

jaybo41

Reaction score
The original material for sucker spawn was angora yarn. I tye some with micro egg yarn, but my favorite item to tye them with is diamond braid. I tye them with chartreuse, pink, blue, and my favorite shrimp pink which looks peach colored to me. It has a very nice sparkle to it.

Dan
Those work really well too. The fly shops around these parts call them Krystal Meth or after the uproar about the name, Krystal Spawn. For low and clear conditions, I tie mine with only one piece of diamond braid, tied right down the center.

theboz

Reaction score
Those work really well too. The fly shops around these parts call them Krystal Meth or after the uproar about the name, Krystal Spawn. For low and clear conditions, I tie mine with only one piece of diamond braid, tied right down the center.
Krystal Meth pattern is deadly (no pun intended) ! Tie mine the same way one strand of braid down the middle. Blue diamond braid tied in with blue floss is outstanding!

jaybo41

Reaction score
Krystal Meth pattern is deadly (no pun intended) ! Tie mine the same way one strand of braid down the middle. Blue diamond braid tied in with blue floss is outstanding!
Blue eggs are a must have. I have at least one shade of blue in every type of egg fly that I fish. It's the first color I tie on as the sun is coming up on the tribe and sometimes one of the last at the end of the day. Unless of course I've found that something else is too irresistible.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi !!

I just recieve Angora yarn for sucker spawns. For flies size 12 and 14, how many pieces of yarn I need ? 2 or 3 ?

I tie one size 12 with 2 pieces and the fly look a little slim. But with 3, maybe a little big.... any advice ?

Thanks

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

I tie my SS's by taking a cut of the angora yarn and separating the three strands so you have 3 pieces from the one cut. For #14's I use all three strands. While I don't tie mine in #12, I would probably stick with the same method I mentioned and use three strands. Sometimes I'll use a different color in the center just to mix it up a bit. For #16's or smaller I only like two strands.

If you can, post some photos of your finished flies.

ben664

Reaction score
Thanks Jaybo;

I will tie some flies and post pict.

Thanks for the answer

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Here the 1 st one (pict from my movil phone)

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I use for both 3 strands of angora (separate one en 3 small)

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

And for this last one, 6 strands (2 pieces of angora). Maybe too much materials.

jaybo41

Reaction score
The profile is spot on Ben, nicely done! Your color choices are right on, thanks for posting the photos. Pale pink, cream and peach are my top producers but it's good to have some hot colors in the mix for higher flows when the water has some turbidity to it.

I tie mine with 4 distinct loops of the yarn. Using the 3 single strands of the 1 cut of angora separated also makes it easier to get another loop in the tie. I like to tie my eggs sparse so they drop down in the zone a little easier, but it doesn't hurt to have a few in the box that have a little more material in them. Sometimes that can be advantageous.

I tie my Krystal Meth/Krystal Spawn with 4 loops of diamond braid coming off the shank also and only with one cut of diamond braid. When I see these in the shops or online, they're mostly done with 2 or 3 strands and that's just too much material to suit me.

ben664

Reaction score
Thanks !

I also have hot colors like steelhead orange, blue, chartreuse but in Glo bug yarn material. With Glo bug yarn, I tie the classic 3 loop sucker spawn in size 10 to 16.

I also have dyed pearl diamond braid in shrimp, chratreuse, orange, blue and crystal color, for crystal meth flies. I use 2 strands of materials for size 12 and 14. I will post picture soon.

Now I have to tie streamers (wooly buggers and sucking leechs), and others nymphs like green caddis and black stonefly. Even in november (mostly eggs patterns), steelheads and browns eat nymph ? or only eggs ?