Fishing Midge Nymphs.... Need some help!

nrp5087

Reaction score
Okay so I realize that midges are a year round food source for all types of trout... However I enjoy fishing streamers alot so the very small nymphs make me skeptical. Never the less I have given midges (size 18-20) a chance and each time I cannot catch a fish or even get a strike :(. I have two midges in tandem hanging under a thingamabobber.

I fish on streams not lakes

Does anyone have any advise for me I really want to become proficient at midge fishing and dont want to give up on the stuff please help!

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I have a great book I could lend you. It is by Ed Koch, as long as you don't mond mailing it back when you are done I could send it to you.

kayo

Reaction score
add split shot so the nymph swims just above the bottom, get it DOWN.

nrp5087

Reaction score
That would be great actually! Ill Pm you with my address

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Does it cost alot more to send something into Canada?

williamhj

Reaction score
Weight would be my guess too. Even with heavier nymphs I'm often surprised how much I can underestimate the depth of the fly. Most of the time if I'm not ticking bottom I'm not deep enough. It's hard to know for sure though, there are a lot of factors. Accepting the book offer might be a good idea.

jaybo41

Reaction score
When I fish midges under the surface, I don't fish them much different than I do any other nymph. When flies aren't working for me, I keep rotating through and find one that does work. This of course assuming I've got enough shot and the right depth for the indy. You might try some of the indicator putty from Airflo if you can find it and skip the indicator, or try a more subdued color. My favorites are white or glow in the dark.

A few questions to ask:

How much tippet do you have between the two flies?

How much shot are you using and where is the placement of the shot? Are you sure you're hitting bottom?

How long is your leader?

If you switched to other nymphs are you having any luck and do you know that you're in a location that holds fish?

nrp5087

Reaction score
When I fish midges under the surface, I don't fish them much different than I do any other nymph. When flies aren't working for me, I keep rotating through and find one that does work. This of course assuming I've got enough shot and the right depth for the indy. You might try some of the indicator putty from Airflo if you can find it and skip the indicator, or try a more subdued color. My favorites are white or glow in the dark.

A few questions to ask:

How much tippet do you have between the two flies?

How much shot are you using and where is the placement of the shot? Are you sure you're hitting bottom?

How long is your leader?

If you switched to other nymphs are you having any luck and do you know that you're in a location that holds fish?
1) about 2 feet of tippet between the flies
2) not sure the weight or # of the shot. I usually use tungsten heads on the flies but the shot was above the highest fly and I was catching bottom
3) the leader was about 12-13 foot didnt measure it out

chased

Reaction score
During winter I use a lot of midges in small creeks. Most of the time I only use a single fly rig since I am usually using my little 3wt glass rod. I set it up just like I do an indicator rig. For me, this means: Fly line > 5-6ft furled leader > indicator on end of leader > 2-3ft 6x or smaller tippet > fly. For weight, these midges have a single brass bead. I don't like the fly to be so heavy that it constantly gets snagged on the stream bottom. I like to stand downstream and cast up stream, allowing the midge/nymph to dead drift back to me. Seems to catch fish every single time I use it, and normally, a lot of them. A #18-22 red brassie type midge is what has been producing best for me this winter.

If I'm in a lake using midges, I get rid of the indicator and slowly strip it in or twitch it. Lots of strike seem to be right when I am pulling up getting ready to make another cast.

-Chase

only adipose

Reaction score
keep at it.... make sure drifts are drag-less and most importantly believe that it will work! Remember you are fishing for fish that are not going to move, you are literary trying to drift it into there mouth...... it will happen and you will be surprised how effective it is.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
A good year round set up I almost always have good luck with is a Czech nymph with a silver zebra midge as a trailer. I'm a huge fan of the zebra midge. It catches fish when used in the right situation.

Its actually my go to set up. I usually start the day with it and switch it pretty quick if its not producing.

planettrout

Reaction score
I probably fish Midges more than any other patterns, They account for most of the larger fish I catch on Eastern Sierra tailwaters. I fish them deep, with twist-ons, bounced off the bottom with a flashy attractor as my lead fly...this is where they are most effective:

My son Michael working some heavy water just below the dam in the "Miracle Mile" stretch of the East Walker River...

These are some of the Midges I use for this river...

...occasionally, I will use dries...the fish in this river are generally NOT looking up...and they range in size from #18 - #24

PT/TB :thmbup:

rockriver

Reaction score
You might actually be able to buy it for about the same price as mailing it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Terrestrials-Approach-Fishing-Synthetic-Materials/dp/B007MXVKKW/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359558157&sr=1-12&keywords=ed+koch"]Amazon.com: Terrestrials: A Modern Approach to Fishing and Tying with Synthetic and Natural Materials: Ed Koch, Harrison R. Steeves III: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zz9qcf7WL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zz9qcf7WL[/ame]

jaybo41

Reaction score
1) about 2 feet of tippet between the flies
2) not sure the weight or # of the shot. I usually use tungsten heads on the flies but the shot was above the highest fly and I was catching bottom
3) the leader was about 12-13 foot didnt measure it out
Sounds like you had a good setup going. Try removing the thingamabobber and tighten up the line so you have no fly line going on the water. Run your drift just with your leader. Maybe you're just using the wrong flies? When you're fishing there with nymphs are you getting any takes?

nrp5087

Reaction score
I probably fish Midges more than any other patterns, They account for most of the larger fish I catch on Eastern Sierra tailwaters. I fish them deep, with twist-ons, bounced off the bottom with a flashy attractor as my lead fly...this is where they are most effective:

My son Michael working some heavy water just below the dam in the "Miracle Mile" stretch of the East Walker River...

These are some of the Midges I use for this river...

...occasionally, I will use dries...the fish in this river are generally NOT looking up...and they range in size from #18 - #24

PT/TB :thmbup:
Thats alot of flies! Im going to tie up some midges this weekend and wont stop using them until i get a fish on them! Yesterday the water temps dropped from snow melt. My friend was catching them on a spinner (cheating).

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

I found your website thing with all your attractor midge pattern PT

diamond rush

Reaction score
I've had quite a lot of success on spring creeks in SE Minnesota with 22-24 black-bodied beadhead midges. In the winter when midges are hatching, you have to practically bounce the things off the trouts' noses. It helps to sight-fish and target specific fish if you can.

I trail them behind a size 12 scud to get them down deep and ticking the bottom.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
A lot of different opinions and answers. That's the beauty of fly fishing - no two of us do it the same way. That being said, I will offer my opinion and explain how I do it. It must work because we catch a lot of fish doing it this way.

The setup I use is my typical nymphing rig, whether fishing with mayfly, caddis, stonefly or midge imitations I usually use this method on most moving water. The only exception would be on shallow streams and creeks.

I start with a twisted mono leader of about 9.5-feet for larger rivers and 6.5-feet for smaller streams. I usually attach my indicator where the fly line and leader meet. I prefer the small or extra-small Thingamabobbers in the glow-in-the-dark color - no, I don't fish them at night, but the smoky gray color seems less obtrusive than the brighter colors fish see all the time.

Next, I will usually tie on my favorite searching bug, an orange/yellow variegated Big Ugly Rubberlegs stonefly nymph (color to match season and prevalent colored bugs in waters I'm fishing). I tie this to the 2X tippet at the end of my leader. This fly is usually weighted thus I don't normally use any other weight such as split-shot or tungsten putty.

I then tie on about 18-inches of 5X tippet to the bend of the hook and attach a bead-head nymph usually in a mayfly or caddis pattern. My favorites are either a flashback Pheasant-tail nymph or an Improved Shop-Vac.

I then tie another 18-inch piece of 5X tippet to the bend of this hook and then attach my midge offering by using a non-slip mono loop. The knot is used often with larger flies such as streamers, but I have found it allows smaller flies to move rather than look like they are attached to a two-by-four, which gives a more natural look during the drift.

The key, like most have stated here, is to get your rig down to the bottom of the stream/river - this is especially important in the colder weather.

Some states only allow two flies and a few only one. While I use the rubberlegs fly for my weight, it would also work on a two-fly rig. If fishing only one fly, then I would recommend split shot or putty about 8-inches above your fly.

Cast up and across, mend at least once upstream and follow that indicator for any movement or hesitation. Set lightly if it stops or hesitates. If it pulls back, set again and have fun with your catch. If not, mend again and follow the drift.

If 12-o'clock were directly in front of me and the current is moving right-to-left, then I would cast to about the 2 or 3-o'clock position upstream, mend immediately, let it drift to about the 12-o'clock position, mend again, and then pay close attention, because I get most of my takes and hookups at about the 11 or 10-o'clock position downstream from my position.

I hope this helps. Correct mending will allow your flies to get the maximum dead-drift as well as allow them to get as close to the bottom as possible. If you're not hanging up on a fair amount of the drifts, then you're not on the bottom. Expect to lose some rigs, but that is the price we pay to get down to where the fish are. If the weighted top fly is not enough to get the rig down, add some shot above that fly. There is a great method of weighting nymph rigs developed by guides on the Green River in Utah that uses a drop-shot method of hanging the shot off of the bottom fly. I like any weight at the top of my rigs so all of my flies are at or near the bottom of the river.

Conventional wisdom says that we should set our indicators about 1.5 to 2-times the depth of the water we are fishing, which usually works just fine, but when fishing fairly slow currents it may pay to adjust your indicator to just a little bit deeper than the water you are fishing. Faster water requires a longer leader between indicator and flies.

Lots of different ideas. Experiment with a few and see what works best for you on the waters where you fish. Most of all, don't over think it or become discouraged. Nymphing, like any other aspects of the sport takes practice and time on the water. Have fun with it.

Here are a few of my favorite flies for the rig I explained above:

This is my favorite rubberlegs fly to use as my weighted top fly:
The Big Ugly Rubberlegs:

Bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph:

Another 2nd-fly favorite is the Improved Shop-Vac (the improved part is that I added the peacock collar at the thorax, and ribbed it with chartreuse wire):

My favorite midge pattern - KG's Deep Purple Peril Midge:

Another favorite midge pattern - Zebra midge (I also like this in brown with a gold bead and gold rib):

While the traditional Brassie is a great fly, I prefer the bead-head version in very small sizes:

Rainbow Warrior - always a good choice:

A sample of one of my boxes:

A midge 'cluster' on Montana's Big Horn River:

There is my take on your challenge, hope it helps some.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

wt bash

Reaction score
I've always had trouble fishing midge nymphs unless I could spot the fish, as Only Adipose said these fish aren't moving so knowing exactly where its sitting is a big bonus. If you can't spot them then you really have to pound a spot to cover all the water. Sometimes a small zebra midge trailed behind a heavy bugger works pretty good. The bugger gets them looking and then they see a little morsel behind it they know isn't going to run away. If you can spot the fish then I fish one pattern 8" below the smallest shot that will get me in the fishes zone and no indicator and just watch the fish when it moves or flashes its trap open set the hook! Also just because its a food source that's always around doesn't always mean that's what they want to eat. This time of year in your area as well as mine the early black stones are around. Look for shucks along the banks and high rocks and log jams. This time of year I love to fish a #16 or even an 18 black softhackle swung in tight to the bank. I'm sure you know this but fishing Spring Creek means fishing close to the bank first, especially when the little black stoneflies are around. Its way mre fun than dead drifting the tiny stuff and the takes can be pretty exciting even in the cold water.

bigshayne

Reaction score
So I rarely have a situation when I need twelve feet of leader, so my experience might not be helpful...

I would get rid of the thingamabobber and use a very light indicator like a small yarn. Something just large enough to float the rig. My experience is that a midge take by a trout is VERY light. So a smaller indicator allows me to detect it better.

my vote for a pattern is a zebra midge with a little antron coming out the front for gills.

I also do my best to target fish. If I can't see them then I cast to where they should be... searching with a midge is hard.

drc

Reaction score
Just like many of the others have said, when I fish midges, I usually have a heavy nymph as my lead fly (like a scud). that usually takes the place of my split shot. its also important to use small tippet. here's a good midge pattern.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWkv5bJYIs]Copper Zebra Midge - YouTube[/ame]