About tippet for Great lake steelheads

ben664

Reaction score
Hi guys, !

I recently read on the net, that fluorocarbon tippet is the best tippet for steelheads and browns, like Drennan.

How, and when are you using fluorocarbon (or not !) ? only on clear and low water ? in every fishing conditions?

What are the most pupolar sizes ? 1X, 3X, and maybe 4X in clear water ? I think about purchase the Rio Fluoroflex.....

thanks

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I almost never use anything else BUT fluoro - there just really isn't a reason not to.

I think the one exception to that would be throwing dry flies because the fluoro tends to sink more than mono.

Aside from that, I can't think of one application where mono would perform any better.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

I think you'll get a variety of answers to your questions because of the diversity of tributaries to the GL's and the tactics used on them. I'm confident you'll find some similarities as well. You might want to give us a refresher, which Lakes and tributaries do you intend to fish?

Personally, I fish the Lake Erie Tribs, the most shallow of all of the Great Lakes. The tributaries follow suit, they are shale bottom and often very low and clear.

My Flouro of choice is Seaguar's Grand Max, but I don't think you can go wrong with Rio either. I like a mono butt section tied with Maxima Chameleon and or Ultra Green Generally speaking for the fall, I fish mostly 2x-3x when the water is up with some color. When it drops to low and clear, I'm generally using 4x and down to 5x when the 4x doesn't seem to cut it. When I'm nymphing/egging, I'm somewhere between 3x and 5x again, depending on water conditions. When I'm streamer fishing exclusively, then I'll generally stick with 2x-3x.

In the winter, Flouro can get brittle so I usually stick with 2x or 3x.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi Jaybo !

Thanks for the answer, and again, your knowledge is a good help.

I plan a Salmon River (NY) trip in early november / mid november (from 2nd to 14th november). I hope also fishing smaller tribs like north and south Sandy's (depending on water level).

About tippets, here in France trouts are really spooki, and when I'm nyphing a 4X to 6X is the key. BUT our fish are not Great lake steelheads size !! (For me a 20 inch fish is a nice one) then, a 4X or 5X isn't just to small ??

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

I'm not as familiar with Lake Ontario Tribs like the Salmon River but I suspect what I've said in my previous will work. Hopefully some of the others who fish the Salmon River will chime in with more localized information.

Trout here in the US can be very spooky as well, especially in spring fed creeks. When I'm fishing these spring creeks, much like you, I am often using a leader with a large portion of tippet being between 4x-5x, 6x when I really need it.

4x and 5x will suit you just fine up there. When I get down to 5x, it's really just the tip of the leader that I'll use 5x on, probably between 1-2 feet. The bulk of my leader material is 3x and larger.

Even though the tippet size is most often dictated by the size of the fly, I have had good luck dropping down a size and sometimes two when the fish are very spooky.

ben664

Reaction score
Right, when I use a size 12 or 10 hook, I'd rather use a 4 X. With 14 and smaller, a 5X or 6X is good.

Anyway, I will tacke 4 size of Fluoroflex in differents size (from 1X to 5X) for any river conditions.

Thancks for your help guys !

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Just an FYI...

That Drennan fluoro you mentioned is made by a company called Sunline, one of 3 manufacturers of fluorocarbon in the World.

Sunline sells it under the label V-Hard and it is very pricey due to the expensive packaging.

It actually has the lowest refractive index of any fluorocarbon sold today, meaning it is the most invisible under water. It is a little stiff because of this, but I never found it to be an issue.

The issue with the way Drennan packages it is they take what Sunline sells as 6 pound under the V-Hard label and they package it as 4 pound, so it seems very thick but in reality it breaks at 2-3 pounds over the listed breaking strength.

It is quite comical how many lines in the fishing World regarding fluoro and mono are the exact same thing, sold by a different company with different packaging...

Think about it, only 3 companies make fluoro, yet how many sell it?

For Great Lakes migratory Trout, I would order some 5, 6 and 8 pound Drennan and call it a day if you are nymphing. If the water is stained, just use Maxima Ultragreen in 5, 6 or 8 pound, no reason to use fluoro in stained water. If you are fishing streamers, 8, 10 or 12 pound Maxima Ultragreen, to use fluoro for streamer fishing is a waste of money and fluoro doesn't do loop knots well "especially in lighter line weights", I always fish my streamers with a loop knot to the hook, much better action that way...

If I was fishing 5X, 6X or 7X I would go with the Grand Max as it is more limp and gonna fish the tiny flies associated with those tippets more effectively...

Last edited:

klunker

Reaction score
Wow, 5x, 6x or less? I know guys who use nothing but 1x. I use 2x mostly, sometimes when in very clear water I use 3x but that's about it. I guess it depends upon where you fish. I fish smaller rivers. Lots of wood snags. I have broken off 2x trying to hold back fish from running into log piles. You let him go and he's gone, simple as that.

I had one fish this fall get me into a fallen willow tree. I could see my indicator up against the branch. So I waded in and I could see the fish laying under the branch and my top fly stuck in the branch. I've noticed that steelhead seem to just stop and lay still if they have a steady tension on them when they are in snags. I bent over following my line down to the first fly. I ended leaning over so much that water was running in the top of my waders. As soon as I unhooked the top fly taking the tension off the fish took off like a rocket. I am trying to get the fish under control again. Well it didn't last long. He ran about 10 feet and he was into another branch of the same tree. So I waded over and followed my line down again. This time I couldn't see the fish or any of the flies. I just followed my line as best I could. It was a really thick snag full of grass and leaves that had been pushed against the branches by the current. I end up loosing the line in all the fine debris. I fell around some more trying to find the line again while all the time my waders have water seeping in. I ended up feeling the back of the fish. Mr. steelhead was having none of that. He took off like a shot. my line followed him into the snag, suddenly stopped and then "pop", he was gone. Gone with 2 flies and my indicator. He left me standing there with one arm soaking wet and water sloshing around in the top half of my waders. Those wader belts do a good job of keeping the water out of your legs I can testify to that! Only time I can remember loosing and indicator. Every time I have tried to get a fish out of a snag by going in after them it has turned out bad.

I can't imagine using 5x in snag filled water. Its like your conceding to give up on a fish that makes a run. At least with 2x you can clamp down and at least maybe turn the fish then you have a chance of landing him. If your rivers aren't full of snags then by all means try 4x, maybe 5x but any smaller seems to be unnecessary.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I think if you re-read the suggestions for 5X or less were for resident Trout, not migratory species :)

nockhunter

Reaction score
I haven't used straight floro so I can't comment on that. I really like maxima in 6lb and 8lb for most of my Ontario trib fishing. I ran out last year and I was in a panic, I couldn't find any close by, so I made an executive decision. I looked through my supply of spools and decided to try some yo-zuri hybrid I had on hand. It's a floro/nylon line, smoke/green. I have 1/4lb spools of 6, 8, and 10lb test. I wound some 6, and 8lb onto old maxima spools and headed out. If you take a look at some of the pics I have posted last year and this year you will see that I had no problem with catching big trout with my new favotite tippet material. Last year was a low water fall season(very clear water) and I managed to land my biggest steelhead and largest brown trout. All with the yo-zuri line for tippet, mostly 6lb. Good luck.

Mike

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
5,6 and 8# Drennan like someone said before. It's the strongest stuff i've used. It is however a little larger in diameter than it's competitors.

It's used in England a lot and hard to find in the US. In Pulaski, NY I only could find it at All Seasons. Give it a try. My landing rate went way up after using this stuff.

Good luck!

ben664

Reaction score
5,6 and 8# Drennan like someone said before. It's the strongest stuff i've used. It is however a little larger in diameter than it's competitors.

It's used in England a lot and hard to find in the US. In Pulaski, NY I only could find it at All Seasons. Give it a try. My landing rate went way up after using this stuff.

Good luck!
Thanks Flytie, Drennan better than Rio Fluoflex plus ?

flytie09

Reaction score
I've not really used Rio Fluoroflex in 2x-0x much for steelies. I've used it for trout fishing, but I didn't like it. Break strenth and diameters seemed ok, but it seemed to deform easily (form curls), that I couldn't get out even w/ a leader straightener.

Look up Drennan, if they can catch Carp w/ this stuff in the UK, it'll work on steelies too.

Drennan International

I've tried a bunch of stuff out there, not all, but alot. I used to get larger 200yd spools of fluoro because I blew through so much of it. I used to just chalk it up to part of the game for steelies and poor landing technique. You'll lose fish yeah, but this shouldn't be the case. If you find the right stuff, it'll increase your numbers and make you a believer.

You won't find many other fishermen with experience on this stuff, because it's so hard to find. Look up ebay and check out their website. Just make sure it's new stuff first.

I've heard good things about Maxima Chameleon and Clear (both monos) and also Frogs Hair Fluoro. Try them all and let us know which one you prefer.

Everyone has their crazy reasons for stuff. We may all be cranking out fish tales too. Who knows?

Good luck.

joebloe

Reaction score
I go up to the Salmon River a few times a year with my son and with friends -
we use Drennan 6lb and sometimes 8lb test tippet - It's expensive - I've seen it on the rack in Fat Nancy's and Whitakers - surprisingly it's cheaper at Whitakers - We've landed some large fish on this stuff - Cheers!

mdogs444

Reaction score
I live in OH on steelhead alley (Chagrin River). When swinging big streamers with a sink tip, I use about 24-30" of 0x or 1x tippet. When drifting indicators with buggers/nymphs, I'll use a 1x to the first fly, and 2x to the 2nd fly.

The water clarity on the Chagrin and Grand are usually stained to the point that you don't need flourocarbon and you don't need to worry about it being too thick. You may lose out on 1 or 2 fish who see the line....but you'll land many more with heavier gear.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Was seeing a lot of low and clear, so I have used 5x tippet on a number of occasions, with flies as small as sz 18. HOWEVER, since my trip out to the West Coast I have been testing heavier tippets. I use fluorocarbon almost exclusively and have used Rio, Orvis, and Seaguar. I like Seaguar for both the quality AND the size of the spools. I want to test TroutHunter due to how well its tested but have yet to order any.

Ben, keep me posted when you're headed this way so we can meet up and get on the stream together, whether its the Salmon River or otherwise!