Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

Default Re: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Try San Juan Worms '
    I'm guessing that this pond is pretty "fertile" ..... lawn run-off, ducks, Canada geese ?
    If so, it would be prime habitat for aquatic worms. They're much more common than people realize.
    Try scooping out a handful of the bottom muck and see what you get. I betya you come up with a a bunch of little wigglers.

I'm not much for the "worm and a bobber" tactic but if you find these aquatic worms that's exactly what you should try.
    A marabou worm jig fly under an indicator.
    Cast it out, give it a twitch, let it sit..... strip it in a little, do it again.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

orange or blonde mohair leeches. the stockers in MO ponds cant say no to them.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Made up a couple pink marabou worms, a few shamie worms, and a couple of white woolly buggers. I don't have class tomorrow so I'm headed to the pond as soon as i get up. It's been a while since I have eaten any trout, so I'm going to cheat a little bit and set up 1 of my fly rods with a worm so I can hopefully catch one or two while I try to get one on a fly. The limit is 4 so if I can get 2 on worms I am going strictly fly for the rest.

5. Likes williamhj liked this post

I would try some sort of woolly bugger stripped close to the bank. It seems like the stockers like the shallower water around this time of year from my experience.

I was able to make it out. I didn't end up landing anything. I did hook one on a white wooly bugger bu it got off as soon as it got close enough to see. I didn't set the hook near good enough. Then watched a little guy follow the white woolly bugger and bite it but I missed it. I felt one more fish nip at it. That was in 4.5 hours of fishing. It was still fun though getting to practice my casting. Started getting good at shooting all my line out again. and probably could have been a little more accurate if I wasn't using a 9 foot straight leader of 4 lbs flouro. I also tried a few worm flies, some streamers, and a couple of nymphs. But out o about 10 people fishing there during that time only 1 caught fish and he was saying that they were not agressively taking his bait at all. And he was there about the same amount of time and had 3 fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I'm guessing that this pond is pretty "fertile" ..... lawn run-off, ducks, Canada geese ?
    If so, it would be prime habitat for aquatic worms. They're much more common than people realize.
    Try scooping out a handful of the bottom muck and see what you get. I betya you come up with a a bunch of little wigglers.

I'm not much for the "worm and a bobber" tactic but if you find these aquatic worms that's exactly what you should try.
    A marabou worm jig fly under an indicator.
    Cast it out, give it a twitch, let it sit..... strip it in a little, do it again.
    Or a San Juan Worm or a beadhead Woolly Bugger.

If all else fails and you just have to get a tug on the line no matter the cost to your pride: mini-marshmallows sprayed with WD-40. I have second cousins in Montana who never fish with anything else.

You are talking about WD-40 lubricant ? Seriously ? Trout are attracted to that stuff ? Live and learn I guess,,,I'd never have thought it...

Michael

10. Default Re: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

I am extremely surprised no one has mentioned chironomid or bloodworms. Size 10-16, under an indicator about .5-3' off the bottom. Fish eat those all year long.
    http://www.adiposeflymedia.com/

- Bull Trout On Mice

Even though WD-40 Sprayed Marshmallows might be The Magic solution I'd be wary of using it if you want to eat The Fish.
    I'd try a Longer Fluoro Leader with a Dry with A Small Nymph or a Caddis tied to it,anything's worth a try,legally methods that is.
    Brian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast