Montana in July

mrfzx

Reaction score
Well, I am finnally going to do it. That is, fish west of the Mississippi (other than Alaska). Two of my buddies have asked me to accompany them to Monatana the second week of July to fish the Bitterroot, the Selway, and Lochsa rivers/streams/creeks. The problem is I have no experience with the midwestern waters. I want to start planning now.

I am pretty sure my Winston Biit 9' 5wt, and my BVK 9' 5wt will cover most everything I am likely to encounter. One is matched to a Hardy 5000DD and a Rio Gold WF5F line. The other is matched to a Marryat MR7 and a Wulff long belly WF5F, so I think I am good with rods/reels and hardware (tell me if I am wrong).

They have told me to plan on stimulators and terrestrials.....ok.....details please. I know some of you are more than familiar with this area, and I am begging for some help. What should I start tying? Patterns, sizes color variations, etc. please.

dhayden

Reaction score
People closer will chime in I'm sure.. but July is usually a little early for hoppers.

But it's usually PMD season in a big way.

All the mayfly patterns Linehans mentions look good.. but, like above, that's out of my range. One thing I'd add is your favorite PMD emerger.

ETA: Hoppers always seem to work, but that's just not the peak..

jsquires

Reaction score
You choice of gear sounds fine to me.
I haven't fished the Bitteroot, but I've fished the Lochsa a couple of times and spent a week backpacking on the Selway. I found the fishing very good and not very challenging. Standard attractor patterns and small leeches on the Lochsa worked well. Had very high catch rates on the Selway with the Chernobyl Ant and/or hoppers, but I can't remember if it was July or August when we were there. Anyhow, I wouldn't get too stressed about it - it won't be rocket-science fishing.
And I hope you have a great trip.

dhayden

Reaction score
To follow on Bobs.. last year: Chubby Chernobyl's were the rage.. purple and red

mrfzx

Reaction score
To follow on Bobs.. last year: Chubby Chernobyl's were the rage.. purple and red
Thanks everybody! "Chubby Chernobyls" .....not familiar with that one. have to look that one up. I carry a variety of sizes/styles of PMD's evrywhere I go.....even Alaska.....although I can't say I've ever used them there.:) Of course, I am known by my friends as a pack-rat, and habitually carry/pack way more of everything than I need. I guess thats the boy scout in me!:D

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

One more thing.....

Here in the east, I often fish flies as small as and smaller than 18's. My friends are telling me to leave that tiny stuff at home? Thoughts?

dhayden

Reaction score
Here in the east, I often fish flies as small as and smaller than 18's. My friends are telling me to leave that tiny stuff at home? Thoughts?
It's all river dependent.. I have a box of LBBs (Little Bitty B*******) that go down to 24s.. that are required in some places here.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Roger on the rod choices, but I'd also bring along a 3wt. I suspect you'll use that more than the 5.
Okay, can-do on the 3wt. I have the BVK 3wt with the conversion pieces.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

It's all river dependent.. I have a box of LBBs (Little Bitty B*******) that go down to 24s.. that are required in some places here.
Okay, I'll bring my "midge" box too. (I call anything smaller than an 18 a midge.....I know its wrong, but I am anything but a slave to appropriateness:rolleyes:)

dhayden

Reaction score
On the small stuff.. if you know the rivers you're fishing.. you may be able to pare those down.. check web sites for local fly shops, or locals may chime in

Like I said, it's river dependant

And for me.. I carry even number rods #2, #4, #6 - with the 4 being preferred. This year, I'll be trying out a 10' #3 from Allen

mrfzx

Reaction score
LOL! I carry the odd numbers, 3-5-7 for freshwater. Its cool how we each have our own preferences.

matt153265

Reaction score
Mr. Mrfzx

The 3 might come in handy if you find yourself in shaded streams, tightened areas, and the like.

Montana should be excellent that time of year! Have a wonderful time!

When I was there last June I had a bit of luck with this. But, it was June…

Sorry I couldn't copy paste image!

Well good luck!

glcaddis

Reaction score
Depending on the snow pack and temperatures, you could still run into some high water so that will mean you should have a few big streamers to toss into the mix. I like to use a dropper behind the big hopper or Chernobyls. The dropper can be anything from a small nymph (PMD emerger) to small streamer.

dean_mt

Reaction score
LOL! I carry the odd numbers, 3-5-7 for freshwater. Its cool how we each have our own preferences.
Hey Mr. Physics, I just found your thread. Mid-July in Western Montana is usually pretty darn good. The Bitterroot should be at a nice flow and still reasonably cool. It has excellent and diverse hatches and gets to be a pretty tough river as the season wares on, but early July it's not at that point. Good for you! The Pale Morning Dun is the major mayfly hatch of the summer and it will be getting under way then, at that time expect a #16 dry to work; it's a pale bug going from pinkish yellow, to pale greenish yellow, with light dun wings -but don't worry too much about that. It's just a real pretty little mayfly, any light bodied parachute or I really prefer the compara dun will work. Also caddis and stoneflies. It's a great river, you won't be alone but you'll love it.

I've actually never fished the Lochsa (because it's in Idaho) but have heard really good things about the cutthroat trout it there. That river is gorgeous! It will still be very cold and tumbling hard down the mountain.

As for your rods: it you have the space take one of each, a 3, 5, and 7. But the only place that 3wt will be used is if you stop to fish some of the tributaries of the Bitterroot and Lochsa, and there are many. Otherwise you won't be using it on those bigger rivers. Your favorite 5wt for dries and the 7 for streamers. You are set.

Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
+1 on what Dean MT is saying; PMD's! #16 & 18 Comparaduns, Thorax style work great on flatter runs, CDC emergers and spinners are very important. Yellow Sally stoneflies in a #12 & 14 will be about (hence Stimulators) and small hoppers will be beginning most likely in the lower elevations. Bring your eastern fly boxs, you will be surprised how often a fly like March Brown or Cahill will work on a western hatch. Oh, leave the 3-weight home and treat yourself to a present...you deserve it for you first trip to the Big Sky. When you get to Missoula buy yourself a #4, either 8 1/2' or 9' (I have both but like the contrast of the 8 1/2' to my 9'/#5)...no sales tax in MT. You will use your #5 most of the time but the #4 is cool for the calm evening spinner fall (we often fish till 11P in the afterglow) after which caddis likely will emerge (tan and dark elk hair style). If you are staying around the metropolis of Missoula you may set up a float trip on the lower Clark Fork and compare the Dinosaur Cafe to the Cajun food you will have in New Orleans while redfishing.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Good to hear from you S&S! You're right, rusty spinners are a must in the evenings. Last summer I had a great night on the Clark Fork right downtown catching fish on spinners and caddis. It stays light till 10pm that time of the year, I mean light. You can easily fish till 10:30 then it get's a little harder to see but also seems to get more fun. Walk up the Dino and have a couple beers in your wet shorts and soggy shoes!

And I also agree with the 4wt!