Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting Rivers in Portland, Oregon?

1. Default Starting Rivers in Portland, Oregon?

Hello, Im new to fly fishing and have been practicing in local warmwater ponds, but i am trying to find a good trout river nearby(I know there are lots, but dont know which one to pick). Also, if there are certain flies that work really well for the area that would be really helpful.

Thanks guys,
    Evan

Default Re: Starting Rivers in Portland, Oregon?

A good place to hit up is always the local fly shops if there are any, those guys/gals can usually help you a lot and they make good friends usually to.
    Last edited by stuie675; 02-13-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlasoma View Post
    Hello, Im new to fly fishing and have been practicing in local warmwater ponds, but i am trying to find a good trout river nearby(I know there are lots, but dont know which one to pick). Also, if there are certain flies that work really well for the area that would be really helpful.

Thanks guys,
    Evan
    Unfortunately there is very little as far as streams goes. I have heard some guys talk about going above the dams on the Clackamas. But as far as trout goes, there is small cutthroats on the coastal streams and your best bet is to come over and fish the crooked river.

Not many rivers open for trout right now, esp. on the west side.

Like @bigshayne says, you can indeed find small trout in the upper Clackamas. Also the Mollala R. and Salmon R. (near Mt. Hood). And countless streams in the coast range. None of these are open though.

Right now you can fish portions of the McKenzie and Middle Fork Willamette for trout, or go over to central OR for the Crooked, Metolius, Deschutes, or Fall R. I suppose of those four the Crooked could be more of what you might call a "starter" river.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Several good suggestions here, but check out the Deschutes (game regs) for 'Redside' trout fishing.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"