Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: opening day strategy

Blog Entries

Default Re: opening day strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I used to love opening day but I got over it.
    I'm kind of lucky that I live in a region that has trout waters that are open year round. Usually I will have 20 days fishing before the traditional trout opener (this year April 27). If I miss the opener, it isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dewbar View Post
    Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes, ponds, rivers, brooks? What patterns would you use.
    If you choose to fish on opening day with high water and little bug activity, you are going to have to play with different strategies. My local mid-elevation river has plenty of snowmelt coming down at the end of April. I swing a heavy sink tip with either a leech or bugger. The reality is that line strategy is as important as fly choice since both the line and the fly have to be at the proper depth.

Dennis

Opening Day strategy? Stay at home and tie flies while all the other anglers battle over each hole for a weekend because I've already been out at least 20 times this year...

3. Default Re: opening day strategy

Went out today it turned out to be really crappy weather. Cold raining and hailing. Fished for a few hours but the water was really high and fast flowing. Hopefully we will get some warm weather soon.

I went out also. Seen three eagles, one pileated woodpecker and caught one fish. The weather was nice when I got there and the water was manageable, the weather then turned cold and windy after lunch and I left. I did not see another soul, the river was mine.
    Bruce

5. Likes yonder liked this post

Wowzers! Thats all I can say. It has been 50 all weekend. 30 today. That is in degrees and mph of wind. Needless to say, I was undergunned with the 4wt. There was actually 30 or so people under a bridge with coolers and a charcoal grill. All I can say is that next year I am staying home! j/K probably not I do hope they go home soon though. For now I am getting the hell away from the beaten path. Maybe time to chase brookies

Opening day was great this year. I slept in and then took the motorcycle for a 100 mile cruise through Amish country. In another week or two I'll hit the streams, after the circus goes back to their comfy red couches.

8. Likes theboz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
    Opening day was great this year. I slept in and then took the motorcycle for a 100 mile cruise through Amish country. In another week or two I'll hit the streams, after the circus goes back to their comfy red couches.
    Man after my own heart!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

No "Opening Day" in Colorado. I fish year round!

Thanks
    Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345