opening day strategy

dewbar

Reaction score
Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes,ponds,rivers,brooks? What patterns would you use.

bruce m

Reaction score
For me it's most likely nymph, stone fly maybe. After that I may/will give some wets a try. After that I'll give up and go home. That's how opening day usually plays out for me. FWIW, there is usually no one around and it's usually a beautifully bitter cold snow blowing day, but I like it.
Oh I see you're new here, welcome to the forum.

wt bash

Reaction score
Back when I lived in NJ I would spend opening day at home, too many rods and too many hatchery heroes. Don't know what its like up your way but I would find a small out of the way creek and keep tabs on it if there is no flow gauge.

dewbar

Reaction score
I know plenty of places where ill never see anyone else. Thats what I love about maine. Not many people will walk as far through the woods to get to a stream as me. But last year was my first real fly fishing year and I didnt start until late may,so Im not sure how the first day will go. Been tying up some stonefly nymphs and streamers. hopefully somthing will like them.

bear 007

Reaction score
I usually make the pilgrimage down south to a certain lake thoroughfare were the landlocks are looking for smelts. There's not much traffic, its still to cold, but you do have the chance of catching a few if the sun is shining.

Last edited:

sandfly

Reaction score
I built a 6' catapult and saved all my round gourds from last year. going to bomb the worm dunkers and hardware chukers acroos the road 200 yds. away on the stream. Oh yeah got some skunk spray glands from a local trapper and am inserting them in the gourds.....Gonna be a great opening day !!!

O

okuma

You could do like I did when I used to fish opening day in Pa. Sing and talk to yourself outloud. People tend to move away. Hmmm...wonder why?:p

ben664

Reaction score
Here in south of France, today was the opening day for trout season.

Rivers are hight dirty and snow melt. I only fish 2 hours, with nymph and split shot. Only 1 trout of 15" :(

We have to wait few week !!

pa dave

Reaction score
It's always a circus in PA...I stay home.

But if you have to go and can't make a trip away from the crowded streams, there are ways. Take a roll of yellow caution tape and a can of white spray paint. Once you have located a prime spot to fish, head out at midnight with a friend. Tape off an appropriately comfortable area on the stream. Next, lie down in the middle of the taped off area and have your friend spray a white outline around you, preferably in a contorted position. Please, no fake blood as that would be tacky. If done correctly, this should clear a stretch of stream for 50-100 yards on either side of the "scene".

Disclaimer: It's a joke. It's only a joke. I have never, and will never do such a thing. I can't vouch for the past actions of some of my ne're do well buddies from my college days, though.

dewbar

Reaction score
you guys are crazy.. ive been sitting inside all winter theres no way im gonna sit out the first day. Its been raining a lot and the weather is warming up there might not even be any snow left. 18 more days. Ill let you know how I make out.

bruce m

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, its been a long winter and last season was practically non existant due to work obligations, I'm really looking forward to this season.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Actually I'm really looking forward to mid may. I have two weeks off, already paid for a cruise to the carribean for one week, the other is set aside for hunting and fishing all week.

kicker19

Reaction score
i would suggest that if you have not spent any time on the water this winter, get out there is work on casting. give yourself a day to knock the dust off or work out the kinks in your casting and presentation. i know the first day i went out was a little rough but i got things worked out for when fishing really gets in full swing. id also recommend keeping an eye out for insect activity. the season for me (GA) does not start for another 3 weeks but in the several weekends of fishing i have discovered a stonefly and mayfly hatch, plus have been noticing fish activty and seeing that they are slowly becoming more active

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I used to love opening day but I got over it. :rolleyes:
Now I start up in the headwaters where no one else bothers to go.
Then in the afternoon after 80% of the yahoos have gone home I'll move downstream for some easy pickin's

Here in CT the state still has opening day only because they sell more fishing licenses that way.
It's a family outing or a socializing tradition for a lot of people. They go once or twice a year and then they're done, but the state still gets the revenue.

If you want to fish, there's always a place to go.
There's plenty of C&R trout management areas that are open all year.

wt bash

Reaction score
I used to love opening day but I got over it.
I know what you mean. Back in NJ before I really took trout fishing seriously and in my teen years we would cut class and hit the local pond. It was more a social event than anything else. We would load up on limits and have a big fish fry/party that night. Once I got into chasing trout with the fly rod opening day was more of curse than a blessing. Here in Ohio there is no opening day for trout season as there are only two state stocked streams. Both too far to make it worth it anymore, so I wait till Pa's opening day or fish the C&R sections. Which reminds me I need a new Pa license!

bruce m

Reaction score
I've done the winter fishing in the Delaware, no thanks. Between dodging the ice chunks and freezing my tail I have no desire. Opening day to me signifies the end of winter, and that's cause for celebration. As someone who works outside in the winter all year everyday(actually every night) the though of putting myself through more cold after a night of work just doesn't sound appealing.
So the thought of running into another fisherman on opening day isn't so bad, besides if I do run into someone it's usually another fly fisher and nothing more than someone to say hi to as we cross each others path.

dhayden

Reaction score
I used to look forward to it, when I lived somewhere that had one

It was like the end of winter.. The Fly Shop would have burgers and fly tying demos and oither events..

It was never about good fishing

Now, as long as my guides won't freeze up - I can fish whenever I like

bruce m

Reaction score
Yeah they do that here also, In Roscoe, NY. The local radio station is there and it's a big brewhaha. They have the "first cast" broadcasted, makes for great radio :rolleyes: It's held in the infamous "Junction Pool". But there are plenty of other places to go without all the hoopla, you can be as secluded as you want to be, just a matter of knowing where to go.

yonder

Reaction score
I fish year round, so opening day of the hatchery supported waters is just another day....some of our streams really get trampled, and trashed with litter....and then, after a few days, with the start of turkey season, things get back to normal......turkey season and deer season are two of my favorite times to fish, here in North Carolina!!!!!:) So, on "opening day", I will probably fish a favorite blueline, away from the "circus"!!!!!:)