Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breaking in new net

I was lucky enough to purchase a beautiful net from Greg at Sierra-Nets. I also had 6wt Bamboo rod I wanted to try out with a new to me Galvan Torque reel. On Friday the 15th I headed up to the Upper Kern River in the Southern Sierras in Ca. At the fist spot realized my sliding band reel seat does not fit my T-6 reel, as it keep falling off. Now I was left with my 10ft Streamflex 3wt.

Please excuse the pics, I was using my phone and trying to take the pics quickly to get the fish out of the net and back in the water.

I headed upstream a few miles and found a spot with a couple of pools and lucky for me I saw fish, I had to cast 40ft up and across the stream to get the drift right after playing around with a few nymphs this was my first fish maybe 14in

It had some nice color to it and fought well. I think it took a olive birds nest

After repositioning to another pool, I added a zebra midge as a second fly and I was able to land this bow

This one was quite a bit fatter and maybe 16in

I moved upstream a bit and found another pool area between submerged rocks and was able to this heavily spotted beauty on a black birds nest size 16.

Good sized fish and had quite a bit of fight to it.

It was an amazing day on the water

My final fish of the day, I only was on the water for 4 hours and brought 6 fish to net and lost a couple more. It was incredible day on the water. There were a couple of fish feeding on top as I was leaving maybe a BWO hatch around 18-20 in size.

Greg hooked me up with a Claro Walnut Burl handle with Wenge and Mahogany hoop. I also was able to get a really cool magnetic net release from him

Here are a couple of pics of the net, it has a great feel to it. If you ever need a custom net Greg is incredible to deal at Sierra Nets - Sierra Nets, Custom Wood Fly Fishing Trout Landing Nets, custom rods and reels, hand crafted fishing nets, flyfishing, fly fishing accessories

2. Default Re: Breaking in new net

Great looking net.

3. Default Re: Breaking in new net

That's an awesome looking net!!

Default Re: Breaking in new net

Yep, nice fish too!

Blog Entries

Very nice net...and fish...
    Last edited by jpbfly; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Wow! Nice looking net.

I'm new to the forum, live in Va. But my son moved to LA a year ago reading up on the upper Kern, not been out yet & going crazy. Any suggestions where a 22 year old may get started? ?

Quote Originally Posted by wjw View Post
    I'm new to the forum, live in Va. But my son moved to LA a year ago reading up on the upper Kern, not been out yet & going crazy. Any suggestions where a 22 year old may get started? ?
    PM me I can give him some info, the local creeks are not doing well with lack of rain last 2 years.

9. Likes wjw liked this post

A great looking net, also looks like a great day on the water. Some nice fish.

Blog Entries

Great looking net. I also like the net-keeper. I just picked up my first bamboo rod. I am now in need a great little net to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast