Need help please!!!

zarkhd

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm relatively new to fly fishing... I spent 3 weekends in the park practicing, and then i went to Croton 2 times, and did not have any luck there. I tried different patterns and walked all the way down... No luck with any fish. Would anyone please suggest a place where i can actually catch some fish, not too far away from NYC. I would really appreciate your help.

Tha ks guys!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

If I were where you are at I would visit a Barns & Noble or any large book seller and browse the NY Outdoor section. Every state I've lived in seems to have a 'Where to fish book' out on the trout or other species you may be interested in. Being in the city you are not too far from linking onto Rt. 17 just up north and then it's a relatively pleasant and short drive over into the Catskill region.

It has been almost 34 years and many a storm, most recently 'Sandy' have wracked Long Islands Carmen's River but there were or perhaps are brook & brown trout in Carmen's. Any guide to fishing NY should mention Long Island and any opportunity that may still exist there. I am presuming you are interested in trout fishing, is this correct?

Ard

PS; In an afterthought it occurred to me that we have a NYC member who may be able to help you. His user name is floorabove. If you go to our private messing system and choose "Send New Message" when you type in the name it will automatically show you his as one of the choices. Send a PM and I bet he replies to you.

Ard

sandfly

Reaction score
You are trying to catch a species (trout) that stifles the best of us on some days. If you want to catch fish and learn and have fun, pick a pond and fish for blue gills to start. central park is full of them and bass. its still cold in the rivers and fish are sluggish still.

noreaster

Reaction score
i'm relatively new to fly fishing...and walked all the way down... No luck with any fish.
Hello and welcome. Sorry I can't help on locations, don't know the area.

I have found that trout spook easily. As a rule I will rarely fish a stream down stream. Trout are quite sensitive to vibrations, and sediment washed into the stream. All these things are punctuated as sound and sediment travel down stream. Maybe try going upstream next time. Use the bank as much as possible
Good luck
phil

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

zarkhd

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it all. I will keep trying for trout until a spot that i used to spin cast for bass opens, and head there... If anyone wants a great place to fish for bass and little pikes i can gladly share the location

I also signed up for Orvis free fly fishing 101 that will be held in April. And am still working on my casting in the park till i get it perfect like "the river runs through it" ;)))

moucheur2003

Reaction score
It is awfully early in the season for trout. You'll have better luck after the water warms up a bit more and the mayflies and caddisflies start to hatch. In the meantime, visit some of your local fly shops and don't be shy about asking for beginners' advice. They want you to succeed so you become a repeat customer. You should learn a lot in the Orvis "fly fishing 101" seminar, but the reason they don't hold it until the end of April is because that's about when the steady action gets under way.

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

After your training in the park, I would try to get a friend, who do fly fishing, with you to the river, so that he could give you some advice.
If you do not have any fly fishing friend, than I would have a look at your river to find a person who would spent some hours with you.

But nevertheless, some "fishless" days are not sooooo unusual :rolleyes: But I am pretty sure after the Orvis session, you WILL catch fish :fishing:

flycaster99

Reaction score
You can only learn that much from books and website. To learn the tacit skills and knowledge of finding the correct spots, fishing at the correct time, selecting the correct flies and presenting the flies correctly, there is no substitude for hiring an guide or go fishing with a experienced friend.

joebloe

Reaction score
I live and fish in the 'Croton' area -It's opening day and I'll be heading out to some of the local rivers here in Westchester county - there are a couple of shops with helpful staff - try the Bedford Sportsman and the Angler's Den -
Cheers!