Bucket List MUST Fish Fisheries of the EAST?

only adipose

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am planning my summer and I am wondering what are some of the places that you absolutely MUST lay some line on before you die. I am thinking anywhere East of the Mississippi, USA maybe Canada.

Thank you in advance,

Adipose

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Where the heck have you been?

I had forgotten about you dude! Maine for Land lock Salmon and brook Trout. Everyone has their favorites and if you get serious about maine send a PM.

The Adirondacks, any where from Tupper Lake over to Lake George. There are hundreds of streams and the Ausable too. Plan well because June is Black Fly time there and these are the ones that bite you. Same goes for Maine, take bug dope.

Any creek in North Central Pennsylvania, PM for specifics.

Good luck and welcome back,

Ard

FlyBum

Reaction score
My list isn't long - Alaska, which may happen sooner than I once would have expected. Also Argentina for Golden Dorado. I'm not sure why, but the Golden Dorado is the only fish I really have a hankering to catch that I can't catch in North America.

There are other places I want to go here in the U.S. and Canada, but I wouldn't call them a must. Actually Argentina and Golden Dorado are not really a must either, but in my mind there is no fish I'd rather catch more. I think they are the prettiest and possibly the most thrilling fish in the Americas inland waters.

ruud

Reaction score
Going to the Smokies end of April which is my first US fishing destination. Besides that, Montana and Washington/Oregon is high on my list!

More close by for me would be Sweden/Norway and Scotland as great fly fishing destinations.

Ruud

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Edit: Sorry, I missed that this was only for the EAST:)

Ruud

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Are you on Facebook? A fly shop owner from Maine is in the process of editing a book to be called "The 50 Best Places to Fly Fish in the Northeast". The concept is to identify the 50 best rivers that currently fish well and are managed well for the future, then recruit local guides to write descriptions of each one. It's not out yet, but he's posting on the places and contributors that will be in it on a Facebook page called, surprisingly enough, "50 Best Places to Fly Fish in the Northeast".

frogg

Reaction score
Rip Tide, Do I see Montauk (or close to)and the Ausable in the Adirondacks among your pics?

As for my list, I'd like to fish the Ausable again, doing it right this time. I also want to float(tube) any little trout pond in the Adirondacks...all by myself...camping trip...

Chris

baseman1

Reaction score
The cains river (one of the tributaries of the 'Chi) is known for it's large brookies and speckles. Here is a fun video about it. Go to 11.11 to start watching.

[ame=http://youtu.be/9nogGXAQ32k]The Fishing Musicians - "Shanty town and Cains river" - YouTube[/ame]

glcaddis

Reaction score
There are many trout waters in Michigan, but the Au Sable River system is a must on your list. Check out Gateslodge.com for the complete scoop. I headed there in 15 days, not that I'm counting, let's see in minutes thats...

diamond rush

Reaction score
If you've never hiked deep into the Shenandoah National Park to find a hidden hole full of wild and native brook trout, you really should.

rccola712

Reaction score
I haven't had the opportunity to fish it yet but I really want to fish the limestone beds of the South Holston over in TN,

browell7

Reaction score
No particular order:

Ausable River, Adirondacks - I would like to stay at Adirondack Rock and River in Keene Valley.

Lake Erie tributaries in Western New York

Salmon River in Pulaski, NY

Forida Keys for permit

Everglades for tarpon

South Holston

Reaction score
I haven't had the opportunity to fish it yet but I really want to fish the limestone beds of the South Holston over in TN,
And everyone ought to fish the Sulphur hatch on the South Holston from a drift boat.
I know it is on big time now. My son guides it everyday.
And me.. I have had a heart attack and miss the oars. That I do. But there is a season for everything. It is my season to recuperate. And others season to watch browns sip sulphurs. Tis the way life is.
Rod

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Don't forget the Letort and Yellow Breeches in PA.
I would like to see the massive hatches of the PA. streams. And I would like to float the Delaware when the Sulphurs are on the water.