Sulfur nymph vs March Brown

nrp5087

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am tying some sulfurs for early may here in PA. I was told by the local fly shop that with the cold weather we have been having, the hatch will probably be delayed and march browns are more likely at this time period. When i look at pictures of the actual nymphs they look very similar... What is the key feature on them that you think sets the fish off as to which is which or will my sulfur pass as either? I used yellow PT, black thin skin, a brown dubbing for the thorax, and partridge for legs.

The key feature for the sulfur was the 1/2 dark wingcase but what for the MB?

Thanks in advance,
Nick P

stenacron

Reaction score
It may be just a "confidence in certain fly types" thing, but for me the simple Pheasant-tail nymph in sizes 14-16 does a great job of imitating the sulphur (Ephemerella) nymphs.

When fishing Pocono streams with good March Brown populations, a standard Hare's Ear nymph (no beadhead) with exaggerated legs (brown partridge hackle) in sizes 10-12 worked much better for me this time of year.

sandfly

Reaction score
march brown nymphs run a lot bigger than sulphurs and have a reddish brown color with a amber under belly in pa. Sulphurs are lighter(yellowish) and smaller than the MB's. MB= size 10-14
Sulfers= 16-20

nrp5087

Reaction score
Okay so MB are just a few hook sizes larger and browner (I feel a little dumb) thanks. Do you guys have any specific pattern suggestions for MBs or just use a hares ear in size 12 with a brown thin skin back?

Thanks again to you guys who replied

stenacron

Reaction score
Okay so MB are just a few hook sizes larger and browner (I feel a little dumb) thanks. Do you guys have any specific pattern suggestions for MBs or just use a hares ear in size 12 with a brown thin skin back?

Thanks again to you guys who replied
I wouldn't over-think it too much... sometimes the more detail that goes in, the less lively the imitation looks like in the water. But if you really want to go nuts, here are the side-by-sides;

Eastern March Brown (Maccaffertium vicarium)

link: Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown) Mayfly Nymph Pictures

Sulphur (Ephemerella invaria)

link: Ephemerella invaria (Sulphur Dun) Mayfly Nymph Pictures

Keep in mind that "sulphur" is the name of a fly pattern, and it covers about half a dozen yellowish mayflies over three (3) families ;)

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I have come to the point of not worrying so much about the minutia. After seining too many aquatic bugs that looked so much alike , and then being told that they were different species???

the basic amber colored nymph cant go wrong...size might actually be a bigger factor??...I will leave that to the experts...the good 'ole hares ear or twenty incher seems to always do the trick if the drift speed is correct...ie just a little slower than the bubbles...;)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Lots of folks use a gold-ribbed hare's ear, but Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has written approvingly of this one:
Coleman's March Brown
(Tom started his fishing career in Carl Coleman's fly shop.)
I'm a big fan of the Coleman March Brown and if you study it, you'll see that it works for the same reasons that copperjohn might.
I once had an opportunity to discuss the this nymph with Rosenbauer and he felt that the fly probably was just a march brown in name only and more likely was taken for something else... like a crayfish.
That takes nothing away from it though, it's a great fly.

Count me as someone who believes that the more detail to a fly, the easier it is for the fish to decide it's a fraud. While most of my nymphs are little more than fur over lead, I do carry the march brown flymph.

South Holston

Reaction score
You notice how long and wide that wing case is.. I think that is important.
Putting a split in that case with yellow under it works very well in our area. We have sulphurs from now until last of December. Not unheard of to have a good sulphur hatch around Christmas.
We have had them strong for the last two weeks.
That regular Solitude Split case is deadly.

Last edited:

silvertip8k

Reaction score
WT...you are alive...:D

I have had a serious re-alighnment after this thread...also after checking out the "meet the hendriksons" video posted on the entomology section...

I have been working on my newest POTM...not a big deal, but my little contribution to the great world of angling...it was supposed to be my hybrid nymph, but after a few of these threads and posts I have had some serious reconsiderations...and I have done some serious changes as to what I consider the "quintessential" nymph...

gill action...color... and tail posture...

I really appreciate forums like this after getting so much provocation as to what I considered a done deal!

I will post my attempt at answering this new dillema

now over to the vise...t

nrp5087

Reaction score
So here is what i got so far

emerger
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Nymph

[/URL][/IMG]

Let me know what you think