Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  72
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Tiger Trout Pics

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    Beautiful tiger! That has to be one of the most striking colored tigers that I have seen.. I have seen lots of pictures of them, but I still need to get somewhere to catch one! It's on the list.
    Definitely on the list. Even on the streams they occur naturally, they're still 1 in a thousand fish.

I'm going to get my buddy to take me to that hole next time I'm up that way.

Very cool fish... Some day!

incredible creature ! when he pulls in the lot I'm sure he gets some space...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

I've never seen one of these unique fish. I'd love to though. There just aren't many places where I fish where Brookies live in numbers with browns.

Unfortunately the "cut-bow" hybrid is much less exotic.

5. Default Re: Tiger Trout Pics

Here are a few of the tiger trout I have caught. First two are from an alpine lake in southern Utah. Third is from a private water in Virginia.

Last edited by 1flyjedi; 07-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyjedi View Post
    Here are a few of the tiger trout I have caught. First two are from an alpine lake in southern Utah. Third is from a private water in Virginia.
    Is that last one Rose River Farm? It looks very familiar. If so, was it worth the rod fee? I've driven by there a hundred times and thought about taking friends and family there to introduce them to fly fishing.

Wow these are some super pretty trout!!! Thanks for sharing never even heard of them until I peeked in this thread. Knowing that they are hybrid fish can they still breed to produce others?

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    Wow these are some super pretty trout!!! Thanks for sharing never even heard of them until I peeked in this thread. Knowing that they are hybrid fish can they still breed to produce others?
    No they are sterile.

It is a mixture of Brown and Brook trout I believe.

Found this pretty good article on them
    http://www.bouldermountainguide.com/tigertrout

But nonetheless they are amazingly beautiful, I hope to catch one, one day, just so I can say I have haha

9. Default Re: Tiger Trout

Apparently sometimes;

Tiger trout sometimes, but rarely, occur in nature when browns and brooks, which share the same autumn reproduction cycle, accidentally mix eggs and milt.
    Coloration and marking most resemble brook trout; a mean set of teeth and proclivity for eating other fish stamps them as the progeny of browns.
    A so-called "back cross" — female brookie and male brown — yields what commonly is termed a leopard trout, lacking the brook trout worm-like patterns and with more spots. This color pattern is considered less attractive, and the blend seldom is made.

Read more: Tiger trout fighting fish of different stripe - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/c...#ixzz2XyBDXWlJ
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  11. Default Re: Tiger Trout Pics

Diamond rush, that last tiger was caught at Big Bend Farm. I would definitely say worth the rod fee.

Thanks, winxp man! And yes, they are sterile mutants.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast