If you could be air-dropped to fish anywhere in America....

jimtheflyguy

Reaction score
Where would you choose to go?

Honestly, right now my top choice would be the Upper Yaak River in North-Western Montana. The native redbands are stunningly beautiful. I don't know that there's a prettier native rainbow/redband. Combine that with the fact that it's a ridiculously long drive from So. Cal to the MT/Canada border and you can see my reason for this to be my "air-drop" selection.

-Jim

mbchilton

Reaction score
I'd like to fish one of the big rivers out west. Maybe Yellowstone. Somewhere secluded and quiet.

mikel

Reaction score
well, this is in the lower 48...but a chopper ride into the SF Flathead with a float out would be hard to pass up.

America includes Alaska, I think, and there are a few good choices up there...

-Mike

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Alaska, but only if I could bring my 10 year old Yellow Lab. Other than the 'odd off' I don't go any where without "Sandy."

Bathroom would be the major exception .. and he even walks in/flops down there.:rolleyes: Typing, and an old head, almost white now, banging on your arm: 'I WANT A DOOOG COOKIE AND I WANT IT NOW!.:D

He's 'over weight,' but at (in people years) '70,' do I really care? That said, I've gone to far smaller dog bisquets.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm listing two locations since I love both fresh and saltwater fly fishing. Plus there must be a very fast boat at each location.

Alaska for trout and salmon.
Islamorada for tarpon and snook.

Dennis

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
only if I could bring my 10 year old Yellow Lab. .
I've spoiled mine so bad it's not funny. I think I can get away without her for a while though. My last one would stop eating and drinking if I left him, so if he couldn't go, neither could I.

Right now my biggest issue with my Dog is I'm having a little bit of the sniffles. If I sneeze, she freaks out, lands in my lap and stares intently into my eyes. :eek: Let's hope for both our sakes I can keep this under control.

My spot would be the Amazon. Big cool fish, and little ones with many many teeth.

theboz

Reaction score
Some little atoll in the South Pacific with no foot prints in the sand but mine! A small runabout with a kicker , couple of rods and a hammock! And a cooler of cold ones !

silvertip8k

Reaction score
North America??

for me the upper Pitt River Basin...with a permission slip to fish anywhere I wanted...w/o having the dough for the private tracts its pretty hard to pull off...

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I've spoiled mine so bad it's not funny. I think I can get away without her for a while though. My last one would stop eating and drinking if I left him, so if he couldn't go, neither could I.

Right now my biggest issue with my Dog is I'm having a little bit of the sniffles. If I sneeze, she freaks out, lands in my lap and stares intently into my eyes. :eek: Let's hope for both our sakes I can keep this under control.

My spot would be the Amazon. Big cool fish, and little ones with many many teeth.
Don't know about the Amazon, but the rest I track. "Dollars to Donuts" Ard doesn't go anywhere without 'Boss.'

Fred

fichy

Reaction score
On the leading edge of the striper migration, but not all those scout schoolies, the cow herds.....:) Or a steelhead river in prime shape....

chechem

Reaction score
AMERICA. Some geographically challenged posts here - :D

Alaska for me. You can go "helicopter fishing" up there from Anchorage, so it's just like the OP said: "air-dropped to fish".

Been a few years, but we flew from the Anchorage airport by chopper, and in half an hour were over remote streams full of salmon. We'd fly up the stream looking for fish, land when we saw them, and leave when the bears came! Great fun, and should be on your wish list if you like salmon fishing.

Thanks for the thread; good idea. :worthy:

addendum: found a photo (mystery face); flyrod leaning behind me:

Last edited:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Yellowstone.

Now, that assumes the air drop includes at least a parachute or some other means of soft landing. If not, next to a local bluegill pond is a shopping center that has a "Mattress Outlet" in it. Aim for aisle 3!

vanceinak

Reaction score
I live in Alaska, but if I could be airdropped to fish anywhere I wanted it would be Klamath Falls Oregon where I grew up & my folks still live. Drop me at their house, & I'll jump in the truck with dad & drive to any little stream to catch 10" trout all day long with him... One more trip with my 83yr old dad in our old stomping grounds is my fishing dream :)

jimtheflyguy

Reaction score
@chechem: man that looks amazing! That's gives new meaning to "sight fishing." You spot the fish, the bears spot you.

@venceinak: that's the best post IMO. Nothing like wanting more quality time with your father who probably taught you to fish. I know that's the case for me. Be sure to tell him you "dream." It would make his day!

@silvertip8k: that's what dreams are for right?...and long road trips where fishing fantasies make the miles pass...

@Flyfisher for men: BOMBS AWAY!